User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Okie Preacher OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
1190R Suspension

Made the expensive mistake of sitting on an 1190 while riding through Arizona earlier this fall.

Currently riding an '09 GS that has been a great bike--particularly after I ditched the stock electronic suspension and installed a set of manual Ohlin TTX shocks sprung for my weight (235#) and riding.

How is the suspension set up on the 1190R? Is there a suggested rider weight for which they are configured out of the box ,and what would it take to make it fit me? The change on my GS was dramatic to the point that I would consider making a change before rolling off the lot on a new bike.

Thoughts?
Okie Preacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
Made the expensive mistake of sitting on an 1190 while riding through Arizona earlier this fall.

Currently riding an '09 GS that has been a great bike--particularly after I ditched the stock electronic suspension and installed a set of manual Ohlin TTX shocks sprung for my weight (235#) and riding.

How is the suspension set up on the 1190R? Is there a suggested rider weight for which they are configured out of the box ,and what would it take to make it fit me? The change on my GS was dramatic to the point that I would consider making a change before rolling off the lot on a new bike.

Thoughts?
There will be a "recommend weight" from KTM. I do not have the service/owners manual on an R model at this moment or else I would be able to tell you what that weight would be. I just might have something available on my dealer site tomorrow when I return to my office.

Setting up the R models suspension will be pretty straight forward (pending parts availability). There will be a recommended spring rate for your weight and you can fine tune with the clickers. Unless you are way off the chart I would recommend breaking in the suspension and deciding what you don't like about it before changing it up. It's much easier to fix a problem when you know what that problem is :) Also take into consideration what you will be doing with your machine.

Hope that helps!

Derek
Old 12-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Just checked KTM's site and the US spec 1190 R's owners manual is posted. Reading now to see if I can find the weight.

Here is some of the technical info (spring rates and settings) but no weights. I'll make some calls tomorrow and see what I can turn up.

LowSpeedHighDrag screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 05:17 PM
LowSpeedHighDrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Okie Preacher OP
Studly Adventurer

I appreciate the effort! I see that in the documentation both the forks and the shock quote a "Spring Rate Medium (Standard)." Makes a guy wonder if a set of "heavy" springs might be an available option from the factory.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Quote:
I appreciate the effort! I see that in the documentation both the forks and the shock quote a "Spring Rate Medium (Standard)." Makes a guy wonder if a set of "heavy" springs might be an available option from the factory.
Normally yes. Usually sold right from the fiche.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
In theory i guess the suspension might be a little too soft or right in the limit for you.
But did you know that if you send your suspension to superplush and spend less than 1k it will be worlds appart from your GS?
I usually send my clients suspension to superplush (and im in Venezuela) and they always end up with very big smiles on their face.
I guess you could drive the bike as is for a while and then send it to superplush if you think it could be better.
Either way i can guarantee that the superplush setup will be a lot supperior than your gs
Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Okie Preacher OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
Normally yes. Usually sold right from the fiche.
Nice! Thank you.

And if you will, PM me the info on your dealership in AZ.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,559
I believe ken (powercell) was developing a TTx kit for the 1190 if you like the ohlins that much. not sure how this is going tho???
Old 12-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Quote:
Nice! Thank you.

And if you will, PM me the info on your dealership in AZ.
PM sent.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,709
I'll step out......or in.......and make a SWAG.........based on the KTM bikes I'm familiar with......990, 690e, 500exc.....

Medium KTM springs are set for 75-85 kg weight. That's 165-187 lbs for rider and gear. Way lower than most riders with gear. They then give you 4 levels of adjustment to accommodate riding.

Comfort is the soft setting, Standard is that weight range, Sport and Full Payload will take you another level higher maybe 15-20%? Either way, it's best to get springs that take you into the middle of their range.

On the bikes I know about, the KTM heavy springs will bring the weight range up to 85-95 kgs or 187-209 lbs, still short of where a bigger American will land with gear. I've had to go to aftermarket springs to get above that range but the KTM adjustments of Sport and Full payload will stretch into my real world weight.

Physics being what it is, I'm really curious how many of the Standard Adventures will be properly fitted to their owners with the correct process. That's a huge advantage of that bike to me, if properly set up you have a great range of weights to electronically adjust the bike to it's load which has a huge impact on ride and performance.

I am really intrigued by these bikes and hope to acquire one.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Front was way to soft standard and dove under braking and bottom out in the tech stuff, replaced it with progressive springs and a revalve (I am a big boy though)
Toors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
Okie Preacher OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

On the bikes I know about, the KTM heavy springs will bring the weight range up to 85-95 kgs or 187-209 lbs, still short of where a bigger American will land with gear. I've had to go to aftermarket springs to get above that range but the KTM adjustments of Sport and Full payload will stretch into my real world weight.

I am really intrigued by these bikes and hope to acquire one.......
I weigh 110-115 kgs in riding gear and it is real easy to have another 20-25 kgs of gear in the panniers. When I slapped on the Ohlins sprung for my weight it was as if the heavens opened and the angels sang. Completely transformed the bike--in corners, on dirt and fire roads. And, it no longer chews up my backside on long days chopping across highway seams and bumps.

Getting the suspension right is EVERYTHING.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
I weigh about 90kg wringing wet with gear, and so far I have found the standard spring weight to be ideal.

I reckon there is enough 'adjustment' in the standard bike to take me and my luggage without too many issues.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
I weigh about 95kg Plus gear (maybe 105 to 110kg?) and found in offroad the rear spring was a bit too stiff and wouldnt bog down enough and allow me to throw more weight across the back etc.. I'm probably pushing it where you would take a motoX bike rather than an adventure bike though..

I think I need to wind off more preload than it says for comfort mode. (why do they call it comfort mode instead of offroad mode? Even the BM's call it the same)

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #15
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
I weigh about 95kg Plus gear (maybe 105 to 110kg?) and found in offroad the rear spring was a bit too stiff and wouldnt bog down enough and allow me to throw more weight across the back etc.. I'm probably pushing it where you would take a motoX bike rather than an adventure bike though..

I think I need to wind off more preload than it says for comfort mode. (why do they call it comfort mode instead of offroad mode? Even the BM's call it the same)

You really should measure the sag instead of using the suggested settings for an "average" rider. I had to wind out the preload all the way, front and rear to get it close to where it should be. I'm only 73kg plus gear. I also backed out the high speed comp on the back quite a bit. It makes a huge difference. The bike works really well now.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote