Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
lifetime maps

I have been looking at used Garmin zumo 550's 650's and some say that they have lifetime maps. Does anyone know what that means for the person who buys second hand.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,933
It means you have to buy them again.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer

So posting that statement in the add is meaningless? Except to maybe fool an unsuspecting buyer into thinking that they will get free updates with that particular unit.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Lifetime Maps Terms & Conditions

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately) or if your Garmin product comes bundled with a nüMaps Lifetime or other lifetime map subscription, you will receive map data updates when and as such updates are made available on Garmin.com during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic area included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime or other lifetime map subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription or other lifetime map subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Lifetime Maps Terms & Conditions

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately) or if your Garmin product comes bundled with a nüMaps Lifetime or other lifetime map subscription, you will receive map data updates when and as such updates are made available on Garmin.com during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic area included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime or other lifetime map subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription or other lifetime map subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
that is correct for the purchased subscription. however just to confuse things a bit further some Garmin units come with a Lifetime Maps, not purchased separately. these are typically the models that end in LM and the maps on those are transferable to the new owner.

the BMW Navigator IV falls under this later category (even though their is not an LM on the model)

I found this out when I sold my BMW Navigator IV on ebay. I called Garmin and talked with them about it. so if the unit came with Lifetime Maps as part of it. not a purchased subscription or on a data card. then yes it will transfer. if not, if it is the subscription kind then you can't even transfer it to a new gps.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

I posted what I could find on the Garmin site. I had heard of a few being transferred between owners but perhaps they were units pre-loaded with LM.
If that is the case lightly used LM units could be a great value.

Can anyone direct use to the non subscription LM fine print?

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 10:38 AM
Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
that is correct for the purchased subscription. however just to confuse things a bit further some Garmin units come with a Lifetime Maps, not purchased separately. these are typically the models that end in LM and the maps on those are transferable to the new owner.

the BMW Navigator IV falls under this later category (even though their is not an LM on the model)

I found this out when I sold my BMW Navigator IV on ebay. I called Garmin and talked with them about it. so if the unit came with Lifetime Maps as part of it. not a purchased subscription or on a data card. then yes it will transfer. if not, if it is the subscription kind then you can't even transfer it to a new gps.
Really? So, what had to happen to transfer an LM unit? I am selling one of mine, and that would be quite helpful to know.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

I just spent 1/2 hour searching the Garmin site and the "Terms and Conditions" for both the subscription and the GPS units sold with LM are the same and as I posted above.

Would love to know if there is a stated policy that LM units are transferable.

Bruce
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't know where to find A Printed statement on the Garmin site. I can just tell you the way I found it. I sold my unit on ebay. and there i found this guide. I called the number and talked with a person from Garmin that told me the awnser that I mentioned above. this is reflected in the 8/16/12 update at the bottom of the guilde. perhaps someone could contact garmin and find thier published policies if they have any.

the ebay sellers guide link
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Buying-Used-...7023878/g.html
Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Really? So, what had to happen to transfer an LM unit? I am selling one of mine, and that would be quite helpful to know.
I didn't have to do anything actually. the guy from Garmin told me that it would still update just fine even if I didn't unregistered it. he also told me how to unregistered it from my name by way of the MyGarmin website. I did, though he said that it wouldn't mater the gps would update even if I didn't. I would say call that number from the ebay guide.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,625
I've just purchased two 550's with LM's. One from the US and one from Canada. I updated both mapsets no problem. One was deregistered and one wasn't. Called Garmin previously and they said LM's are tied to the unit, not the owner.

Works for me.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
mandatedmotorvation
Shunpiker

Oddometer: 121
i purchased a second hand Nav IV. can anyone help find where to go and update maps?
mandatedmotorvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandatedmotorvation View Post
i purchased a second hand Nav IV. can anyone help find where to go and update maps?

It's a Garmin, right? Use Garmin Express. My BMW Zumo uses it the same as any other Zumo. May have to sign up with MyGarmin.com first and go through the steps.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote