Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
MotoringMonty OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question Moto Ride from Egypt to Zimbabwe

Hi Everyone !
Im planning a fairly big ride from Cairo Egypt to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe starting in March next year.
I am after all sorts of advice but in particular advice as to what type of bike would be best suited for the trip ( Ive been leaning towards a DR650 ) and where i can buy and fit out a bike prior to the trip. Is it possible to set up a bike in Cairo or should i look at getting set up somewhere in Europe and getting it ferried to Egypt ?
Thanks heaps !
MotoringMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 649
Firstly welcome to the forum.

You might want to put your location when asking travel related questions, where you are and more importantly your nationality can affect the answer you get.

It sounds like a great trip, I have done the same in reverse starting in Cape Town. Egypt is not the best place to buy a bike, they have a lot of small, Chinese made 125s which are generally rubbish and not much else. The other problem is the carnet de passage which is like a passport for the bike which guarantees the import duty if you fail to re-export it, they are required by all east African countries and the deposit required to get one depends on where you plan to visit and how much that country requires the guarantee for, Egypt is the most expensive country in the world for this.

The best resource for this type of trip is here.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

With information about the carnet here.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...eed-know-39204

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
MotoringMonty OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks Mark i appreciate your reply

Im an Aussie and ill be traveling with my Canadian buddy. Your tips and the further research I've done on the links you provided have confirmed for me that it would definitely be best to do the trip in reverse and add an extra few thousand k's and South Africa onto the list. That way it'd be a lot easier to ensure we re properly set up before we get into the thick of it.
Obviously with you having done the trip in the past i have a thousand questions for you but in particular what you consider to be some of the biggest dangers/annoyances, how long the trip took you, the type of accommodation you used along the way and if you can recommend any short term volunteer organisations.

Cheers mate !
MotoringMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 649
I stayed in campsites, hotels and hostels, I did some wild camping in the deserts of Sudan and Egypt but was not so comfortable doing it in the more densely populated south.

Be careful when you go out after dark especially in big towns and cities, take a taxi or ride if going out then. Some borders have touts and money changers who can be a bit of a pain, my rule is I'll tip a couple of dollars if somebody has been helpful and might change $20 into local money with them so I have a little but they can be a bit dodgy so only a little and keep the rest out of sight.

If approaching a border or going to change money I put the cash I will need where I can get to it easily without getting the rest out, take US dollars in varying denominations, all notes must be in good condition and no bigger than $50.

No idea about volunteering but there might be something here http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-a-difference/

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote