Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep
I had Exactly the same experience with the Vapor
Here's something I picked up on another forum about the vapor tacho;

Ok now the part you all really care about... The tach....
The answer is quite simple...
Noise, Yes signals from other plug/ devises (fan blinkers ext.) are interfering with the tach reading because the wires are exposed. I used a two conductor (One black one red wire) Shielded wire to fix this. The way thes works is the two wires run side by side as do the ones that come with the vapor BUT they have a aluminum foil like rap around them and one more bare wire touching the rap. This is a drain wire. I spliced my new shielded wire into the old wire up near the clip having as little wire as i could uncovered from the foil. I ran in along the harness and rapped it around the back side (Not top) plug wire leaving some drain wire to work with. I then spliced another wire to the drain wire and ran it to a good grounding spot. This grounded out all the interference and stopped all the jumpy ****. I also had to set my tach to .5 ppr. It now Shows idle at 1380 ish ( I adjust it alot) and seems to smoothly go through revs It drops revs sorta slow (not too bad calm down) but that might just be the bike.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
felvis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
but how to buy it?
guys from the site SIXO do not respond to e-mail, and there is no price...
felvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #18
tinwelp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder View Post
A bit expensive, though..

Is there a cheaper way to add a rev counter to the SE?
Does the KTM Accessory Rev Counter work on 950 / twins?
Doc. I've yet to convince the link that you gave to work and yield a price. What does it cost?

Maybe it would be cheaper to fit the 990 instrument cluster if you want an analogue rev counter? I did it on my 950SM a few years ago and it works beautifully.

Cheers... Paul

tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinwelp View Post
Doc. I've yet to convince the link that you gave to work and yield a price. What does it cost?

Maybe it would be cheaper to fit the 990 instrument cluster if you want an analogue rev counter? I did it on my 950SM a few years ago and it works beautifully.

Cheers... Paul

That is what I need!!!!! I have been looking for a way to get a tach on my SM. Did that fit into your SM dash? Does it plug into the existing wiring? Did you get a brand new OEM SMT tach/speedo set or was it from a crashed bike? How much was it? Thanks!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #20
tinwelp
Adventurer

EastSide,
always good to see an enthusiastic response!

The job is not difficult, but it is very much not a plug 'n' play solution. I was certainly not the first to do this, and as such I cannot take credit. Take a look at this old thread on KTM Talk: http://ktmtalk.com//index.php?showtopic=247021&st=0

It looks as if the thread died several years ago now (I think I did the job to my bike back in 2010), so I'll happily answer any questions you have. In my case I bought new parts as used simply weren't available. If I were doing it again I'd surely buy parts from ebay to reduce the cost. Having said that, I remember getting an excellent deal by buying parts in the US and shipping over to France via a friend, exploiting the very favorable exchange rate at the time. Memory fades as to the exact cost, but probably around 200.

Similarly, if I were doing it again, I'd try to recess the cluster further into the dash. This will need a much more sophisticated custom housing, but it all adds to the fun.

Like I said, please read the thread above then get back to me with questions. I'll help where I can.

Cheers... Paul
Old 12-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
I don't know if there's a great way to do this on the LC8 due to the coil setup, but on my old Suzuki I ended up having to directly connect the tach wire to the signal wire from the points, and I also had to install a 1 megaohm resistor in the line to filter noise and get an accurate reading. With that done, it works beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
I found that the Trailtech Vapor (which I got for rpm specifically) was all over the place. After tech support, and different methods of wrapping the rev wire, the best I could get was an estimate within 1500 rpm odd of where the engine actually was. Beautiful, but waste of time.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon, TBI 5.7, NV3500 5-speed, lowered, etc...bike hauler
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #22
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
EastSide,
always good to see an enthusiastic response!

The job is not difficult, but it is very much not a plug 'n' play solution. I was certainly not the first to do this, and as such I cannot take credit. Take a look at this old thread on KTM Talk: http://ktmtalk.com//index.php?showtopic=247021&st=0

It looks as if the thread died several years ago now (I think I did the job to my bike back in 2010), so I'll happily answer any questions you have. In my case I bought new parts as used simply weren't available. If I were doing it again I'd surely buy parts from ebay to reduce the cost. Having said that, I remember getting an excellent deal by buying parts in the US and shipping over to France via a friend, exploiting the very favorable exchange rate at the time. Memory fades as to the exact cost, but probably around 200.

Similarly, if I were doing it again, I'd try to recess the cluster further into the dash. This will need a much more sophisticated custom housing, but it all adds to the fun.

Like I said, please read the thread above then get back to me with questions. I'll help where I can.

Cheers... Paul
Looks like that thread is only visible to members fwiw.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon, TBI 5.7, NV3500 5-speed, lowered, etc...bike hauler
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
tinwelp
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
I don't know if there's a great way to do this on the LC8 due to the coil setup, but on my old Suzuki I ended up having to directly connect the tach wire to the signal wire from the points, and I also had to install a 1 megaohm resistor in the line to filter noise and get an accurate reading. With that done, it works beautifully.
There's an open pin on the ECU specifically to drive the tacho. From memory it gives a 5V square-edged pulse, once per engine revolution. That should easily be accepted by the Vapour. Not sure why you couldn't just tap into the primary drive for the coil though. Depends on the front-end of the TrailTech... of which I know nothing.

Cheers... Paul
Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #24
tinwelp
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
Looks like that thread is only visible to members fwiw.
Sorry, wasn't aware of that. You could join... or if that poses a problem I could try a copy 'n' paste. Not sure if I'll get into trouble for that though, so please spend a few minutes trying to sign-up first.
Cheers... Paul
Old 12-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #25
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Tinwelp,

Thanks! i am going to check ebay to see if I can find one. I have tried to find just the tach from an ADV but have not been able to yet. I want an analog tach. I don't NEED it but think it would be helpful for tuning the carbs properly now that I have rejetted and have no idea what my idle is even set at. I have to do everything by ear and it probably isn't spot on.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
There's an open pin on the ECU specifically to drive the tacho. From memory it gives a 5V square-edged pulse, once per engine revolution. That should easily be accepted by the Vapour. Not sure why you couldn't just tap into the primary drive for the coil though. Depends on the front-end of the TrailTech... of which I know nothing.

Cheers... Paul

I use this lead for my Trail Tech Voyager. Couldn't get any of the other options to work consistently, and the TT techs had no other advise so I went it on my own... works spot-on.

PowerCell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #27
tinwelp
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Tinwelp,

I have tried to find just the tach from an ADV but have not been able to yet.
East, broaden your search to Europe and you'll probably find what you want. For example, here's an ADV tacho, but it isn't exactly cheap: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-D...item2a2e4379a4

If you want the 990 cluster, try this, which seems much more reasonable with 15k km: http://www.ebay.de/itm/KTM-990SM-200...item20dad57dfc

Cheers... Paul

tinwelp screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 11:42 AM
Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
East, broaden your search to Europe and you'll probably find what you want. For example, here's an ADV tacho, but it isn't exactly cheap: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-D...item2a2e4379a4

If you want the 990 cluster, try this, which seems much more reasonable with 15k km: http://www.ebay.de/itm/KTM-990SM-200...item20dad57dfc

Cheers... Paul
Wow,

thanks so much for the links. That was the first time I have seen just the tach off an ADV, I think you are right, for the money the cluster makes more sense. i will keep my eyes out for one now and will broaden my search. Much appreciated!!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Just a sideways suggestion, Aliexpress sells a lot of instrument clusters.. Some generic for the pocket bikes and such.. One of those might do it..

I've bought a couple hard to find items of Ali express, its all from china but sometimes desperate measures are required.

Dave
Old 12-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Just a sideways suggestion, Aliexpress sells a lot of instrument clusters.. Some generic for the pocket bikes and such.. One of those might do it..

I've bought a couple hard to find items of Ali express, its all from china but sometimes desperate measures are required.

Dave
Thanks I will check that as well. The 990 Cluster is a bit pricey. The price they want just for the analog tach off the ADV is a little offensive also. So I may be tachless for even longer.