ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Sno Dawg OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Question WHY WE RIDE - The Movie - Who saw it? What did you think?

Who saw it?
What did you think?

I saw it last night at Franklin Mills Mall in north Philly. The theater was packed and there were a lot of familiar faces. The cinematography was excellent - breathtaking shots! The message was great, but in my honest opinion it got a bit preachy for me. It included many facets of the motorcycle culture including how motorcycling started and the culture developed over the years. There were parts on street biking, dirt biking, short tracks, road racing, motocross, motoGP and cruisers. I felt there was a large focus on motorcycle riding with the family. Also, there was really nothing about Baja, Rallye racing like Dakar, and very little on dual sporting. I have a feeling that there were trying to go a different route than On Any Sunday and Dust to Glory (two of my favorite movies).

Go see it!

Sno Dawg
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 V6 - RED SLED- RTT - 3 inch lift

Sno Dawg screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 02:48 PM
Sno Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno Dawg View Post
Who saw it?
What did you think?

The message was great, but in my honest opinion it got a bit preachy for me.
Sno Dawg
Agreed. I did enjoy it though. But the writers were preaching to the choir.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Saw it in Dallas on Monday, it caught the passion for riding. It was really good, could be better, but I really liked it.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
[QUOTE=Sno Dawg;22916864]Who saw it?
What did you think?

I saw it last night at Franklin Mills Mall in north Philly. The theater was packed and there were a lot of familiar faces. The cinematography was excellent - breathtaking shots! The message was great, but in my honest opinion it got a bit preachy for me. It included many facets of the motorcycle culture including how motorcycling started and the culture developed over the years. There were parts on street biking, dirt biking, short tracks, road racing, motocross, motoGP and cruisers. I felt there was a large focus on motorcycle riding with the family. Also, there was really nothing about Baja, Rallye racing like Dakar, and very little on dual sporting. I have a feeling that there were trying to go a different route than Dust to Glory (one of my favorite movies).

Go see it!

Was it like On any Sunday, just 40 years later?
apriliacati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Sno Dawg OP
Studly Adventurer

yes - it was like On Any Sunday
with less dirt/sand and more street/family

If you get a chance to see it in your area, go!

Sno Dawg

[QUOTE=apriliacati;22917926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno Dawg View Post
Who saw it?
What did you think?

I saw it last night at Franklin Mills Mall in north Philly. The theater was packed and there were a lot of familiar faces. The cinematography was excellent - breathtaking shots! The message was great, but in my honest opinion it got a bit preachy for me. It included many facets of the motorcycle culture including how motorcycling started and the culture developed over the years. There were parts on street biking, dirt biking, short tracks, road racing, motocross, motoGP and cruisers. I felt there was a large focus on motorcycle riding with the family. Also, there was really nothing about Baja, Rallye racing like Dakar, and very little on dual sporting. I have a feeling that there were trying to go a different route than Dust to Glory (one of my favorite movies).

Go see it!

Was it like On any Sunday, just 40 years later?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 837
I saw it in DC this last week and thought it was really good. I completely agree about the cinematography; some of that scenery was spectacular! I also thought the film score fit really well with the mood of the movie. I was a bit disappointed in the section on Daytona and motorcycle history and how they failed to mention anything about the Brits (or maybe my view is skewed as to the importance of the British in motorcycling history, especially post-WWII...?). It was almost like early motorcycling consisted of Harley and Indian exclusively. There were a handful of Triumphs and BMWs, but I felt there was a distinct lack (not non-existent, but far from prominent) of anything non-American or Japanese throughout the whole movie. I'd go see it again though!

Beezer Josh screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 09:44 AM
Beezer Josh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 295
The CD is available at ebay or Amazon. $24. I think I'll wait on that one.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,922
It was much better than I though it might be. I thought they balanced the characters well, and really loved some of the dirt racing. My favorite line of the movie when of the characters was talking about how road racers have gotten so much better in the last few decades. They now drag both a knee and an elbow.

Quote:
For me, dragging a knee and elbow is all just part of the crash
Old 12-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
Looksgoodinblack
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,779
Both me and the wife loved it. The way they exposed motorcycling as a way bringing families together was probably what we liked the most. That and the line about the seed that is us motorcyclists that just needs to be watered to grow and it doesn't matter if you are 10 or 40 years old. Once it grows its there. That's our story. I started riding when I was 11 and my wife only three years ago and we share the same passion
'04 DL 650, '03 450 EXC - Plated, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #10
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Its was very much like the trailer.
Seems to me it was done mostly on the west coast. There was only one mention and one picture from Laconia. There was good story telling from the racing side of motorcycling and motorcycling past. They interviewed Ted Simon nice. I thought like Helge Pedersen or Gary Egan would have been in the movie.

I very much like the Vintage Daytona footage stuff.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,486
I liked it a lot.

Kind of more the vintage Warren Miller Ski Movie feeling vs. the On Any Sunday vibe. They seemed to really try & connect what all of us enjoy & that's being on two wheels. Doesn't matter your riding decoupling trials to Moto GP there was a segment for everyone.

I can say that if you don't feel that lump come up in yours throat at least once time during he movie then your really not that into motorcycles as you think you are!
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Sno Dawg OP
Studly Adventurer

Why we ride....

I just got my DVD in the mail and can't decide if I should open it or send it to my little brother for a Christmas present. I think he and his son would love it since his boy just got a tiny mini bike and wants to become a prof motocross racer someday. The funny thing is that he is too nervous to ride his new mini bike so he just sits on it in the shed and makes motorcycle sounds.

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 03:03 PM
Old 12-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,476
$24 for the CD is a bargain for me. I'd spend that on gas just to drive somewhere to see it. Is it a "big screen" film or will it be fine on a 48" set?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 549
peeps

It'll be fine; just sit really close
For me, at least half the reason for seeing it is the afterparty with ADV'rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
... Is it a "big screen" film or will it be fine on a 48" set?

Cromoth screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 11:26 AM Reason: edit text
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
HairBear
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
It was enjoyable. Would have been nice to see more about ADV riding. It was a really good commercial for riding. Unfortunately everyone watching it was a rider or married to one.