ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #61
satrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Cool! Thanks.
satrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #62
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
, I tried touching any/all wires together, grounding combinations,....nothing worked.

Then we took the little magnet off my riding partner's front wheel for his TrailTech speedo sensor, and taped it up to the 990's sensor, and,......VVROOOOOM . So the 990 sensor is apparently triggered by a magnet embedded in the sidestand???? Couldn't see indicator of that, but our magnet trick got me the 400+ miles home
Jeff;
You can ground the green wire coming from the SS switch. The engine will start & run but the neutral light will always be on.
The magnet is not embedded but attached to the side stand with two 5MM bolts.
On my 990 I've unbolted the safety switch, glued & tapped the magnet to it and tucked it out of the way.

Richard

'07 990A
'12 Super Tenere
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #63
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl View Post
Jeff;
You can ground the green wire coming from the SS switch. The engine will start & run but the neutral light will always be on.
The magnet is not embedded but attached to the side stand with two 5MM bolts.
On my 990 I've unbolted the safety switch, glued & tapped the magnet to it and tucked it out of the way.

Richard
Thanks, Richard !!
Good info to know, for the next time I need it.
I do like the safety switch being there.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #64
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Oddometer: 124
Update

So lots of bike work planned over the next few weeks and so far I haven't strayed too far from my plans. I discovered that my bike has 17/42 gearing...guess the previous owner did a lot of highway miles. I've got a new 16/45 set-up that I'm eager to try. I picked up a set of SW Motech pegs that are 15mm lower than the stock position. My fork and shocks are heading South to Konflict Motorsports this week to get re-worked. I picked up a bunch of other stuff to do a cannisterectomy and a CJ side stand relocator.

And I came across this pic in the hall of wisdom and thought I'd stir up the debate again over the mid-supports for the 990 skid plate.

photo Screenshot_2014-02-17-23-16-34_zps83b9bad2.png

Fabrizio Meoni's bike. Maybe I'll leave middle mount on........
kelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #65
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelds View Post
Fabrizio Meoni's bike. Maybe I'll leave middle mount on........
I don't think anyone's suggesting the midmount is less secure and obviously case damage resulting is probably rare. Bottom line, Meoni had someone who'd pay for new cases in this rare event no questions asked, you probably don't (insurance notwithstanding). It's your $$$/decision.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #66
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I don't think anyone's suggesting the midmount is less secure and obviously case damage resulting is probably rare. Bottom line, Meoni had someone who'd pay for new cases in this rare event no questions asked, you probably don't (insurance notwithstanding). It's your $$$/decision.
I agree that the cost of a new motor was probably not much of a factor. A cracked/broken case would probably end a race, which you'd think would have been the best reason to avoid making a modification that would increase the odds of a failure happening.

That said, I'm still on the fence.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #67
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
FWIW the SE has a little rubber loop to keep the kickstand up - which I managed to fit to my adv....
That would seem to be the most pragmatic "fix" for this problem. I bought the rubber loop thing for 2.50, (less than $4). I just can't figure out how/where to attach it to the bike

Do you have a pic?
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #68
daysgoneby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Have you seen these http://www.radegarage.com/2013-08-01...eat-rear-tank/
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:29 AM   #69
Bowber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelds View Post
And I came across this pic in the hall of wisdom and thought I'd stir up the debate again over the mid-supports for the 990 skid plate.
That looks like a carbon skid plate so the centre mount is probably there to help stop it flexing to much (was it just a flat plate?). There also looks to be a rubber mount between the bracket and the carbon.

Steve
Bowber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #70
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysgoneby View Post
I want to get a few people interested in one of these tanks not for fuel, but for water. (difrent plastic)
With the Safari tanks I have enough fuel range, but would be handy to have 7.5 Lts of water stored towards the center of the bike and not in the bags.
Anyone interested?
PM me.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #71
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I want to get a few people interested in one of these tanks not for fuel, but for water. (difrent plastic)
With the Safari tanks I have enough fuel range, but would be handy to have 7.5 Lts of water stored towards the center of the bike and not in the bags.
Anyone interested?
PM me.
I thought about those for awhile, but decided on an underseat storage tray. I can carry water elsewhere the odd time I need it, same with fuel (adv tank planned + I've got a couple MSR bladders). I guess If I lived where it was hotter/dryer for more of the year, my priorities would be different.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #72
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
Meoni's skid plate was carbon fibre. Most upgrade plates are steel. Its a bit of a different story because steel doesn't flex as much.

There are two steel oil pipes running under the case that are the closest things to the plate. They can flex a bit but not much. Make sure your plate won't touch them.

My plate (rugged roads) which I love, had a screw right under one of the oil lines and slowly punched it. But since it was an intake I just tapped it and rode it for couple of week with very little leak.

So my suggestion is, test your plate by putting your whole bike's weight on it. Also inspect the rubbers on the rear mount points, they wear out, and bring the plate closer to the case. Get cheap ones from Canadian Tier.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #73
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Bluhduh Front rim replacement time

Unfortunately, I found the limits of the stock front rim last weekend, so a new steering damper has slipped to 2nd place on the to-do list.
I'm looking at either a 1.6" Excel A60 or a 1.85" Excel Takasago. Both would be with a RAD hub, heavy duty spokes etc. I'll probably replace my stock rim with a new 2.15" and use that wheel for touring, so the Excel one will be for mostly for offroad.
1.6 or 1.85? Anybody have any thoughts either way (I'm running Michelin Desert front and will probably stick with that choice)?

Also, I've updated to top post to cover off the mods that I've got done so far. Big thanks to rburkat for sharing shop space, help and 990R knowledge to get the majority of them done.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #74
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
990 Mods for Offroad

How bad of a hit did it take Kelds and did it just get a wrinkle or go full Taco?

Sorry I don't have insight on widths for you but I'll let you know if I make up some more fork guard adapters ( saw that on your list of things to do) as I think another buddy at the coast is toying with the high fender. Nothing elaborate but tougher than just elongating the plastic and hoping they stay in place.

Lurkerlou screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 02:02 PM
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #75
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

I didn't notice any particular hit and it's not fully screwed up, just enough to make it shake and vibrate on the road.