Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Zumo or Montana?

I have read a lot about gps units over the past couple of weeks and the more I read the more questions I have. There are some pretty good deals right now on garman units and the Zumo 350LM is down to $499. I also like the Montana 650 real well. I am looking to use this not solely on my motorcycle but my riding will be both regular roads and backcountry routes. No hiking or backpacking.

Where I get confused, and this because I've never used a gps before, are the pros and cons of various functions. Being able to create routes, sharing routes, geocaching, etc.

I probably don't know enough to know what I don't know, so I'm looking for advice. I'm really not looking to spend big money like the expensive 660/665's Zumo's unless I need what those have over the less expensive 350LM or 600/650 Montana. The 350LM at $499 seems like a pretty good deal with the lifetime maps, but is a Zumo good for backcountry discover routes like the handhelds?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
I

Where I get confused, and this because I've never used a gps before, are the pros and cons of various functions. Being able to create routes, sharing routes, geocaching, etc.

Based on your two statements above, I'd recommend that you spend some time learning the basics of what a GPS can do before deciding on what GPS to get. Each model does something a little bit different; each has different features, and different way of managing those features.

You need to figure out if you want a GPS to create journeys (plan routes), share your journeys (sharing), go find things (geocaching), or as a simple way to get from point A to B while driving (using the address feature)...or one of the other dozen reasons to use a GPS.

Once you figure out what you want to do,use the Search tool here...lots of threads to educate you. Then, ask specific questions...lots of people here will help once you have come up with some narrowed reasons you want a GPS.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Great advice and you are correct. I do need to learn the basics and go from there. Thanks.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,826
Quote:
"Zumo good for backcountry discover routes like the handhelds"
Hence the high price tag, but the Zumo 660/5 handles tracks fabulously and would be great for your BCDR. I would not recommend the 350LM for anything other than single location navigation.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Hence the high price tag, but the Zumo 660/5 handles tracks fabulously and would be great for your BCDR. I would not recommend the 350LM for anything other than single location navigation.
What is "single location navigation"?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What is "single location navigation"?
Pretty sure this is right. Navigating straight from point A to B, as opposed to storing a route so that you can store multiple waypoints during your journey from A to B. Basically, single location navigation tells you where to go, but being able to store routes allows you to save the path to get there.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Riverflow is correct. The one trip we traveled with the 350LM a wingmate was horrendous. If you are lucky enough not to have the software freeze on you, then way it deals with basecamp routes is awful.

However, it did find POI faster..still not recommended though
Old 12-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
I have read a lot about gps units over the past couple of weeks and the more I read the more questions I have. There are some pretty good deals right now on garman units and the Zumo 350LM is down to $499. I also like the Montana 650 real well. I am looking to use this not solely on my motorcycle but my riding will be both regular roads and backcountry routes. No hiking or backpacking.

I probably don't know enough to know what I don't know, so I'm looking for advice. I'm really not looking to spend big money like the expensive 660/665's Zumo's unless I need what those have over the less expensive 350LM or 600/650 Montana. The 350LM at $499 seems like a pretty good deal with the lifetime maps, but is a Zumo good for backcountry discover routes like the handhelds?

I have a Zumo 350LM, get the Montana. The Zumo sucks for BDR or TAT or whatever else because it won't take tracks, you have to go through all sorts of machinations to get it to take routes that will keep you on the minor roads and trails. I am more than disappointed with mine for a bunch of reasons. I have four Garmin's, this might be the last one too. If you like to ride your motorcycle on 8 lane interstates and have to be told what friggin lane to merge into, then the Zumo is all for you.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Riverflow is correct. The one trip we traveled with the 350LM a wingmate was horrendous. If you are lucky enough not to have the software freeze on you, then way it deals with basecamp routes is awful.

However, it did find POI faster..still not recommended though
What is a "wingmate"? No idea what your first sentence means. Sorry.

I used a 350LM for almost exactly a year and some thousands of miles before getting the new Nav V. It never froze on me[1]. I routinely made Routes of 200-400 miles of all small backroads with many turns in BaseCamp, and pushed them to the unit, and it followed them. Of course, there is a learning curve about making routes with way points and via points, and one must have the same map set on the unit as in BaseCamp and also set as many preferences the same in both places as possible, too. I would not call it either simple or intuitive, but once mastered, produces good results. Since it does not display tracks, it is for the street rider only, but in that domain, does a good job.

[1] Users who enabled the fuel range feature on the 350 did experience freezing. A recent patch from Garmin corrected this problem. I never used that feature, preferring to use my trip odometer, like I have been doing for 30+ years, so I never had that problem.

Edited to add: I also have had a Montana 650T for a little over a year, and ran it side by side with the 350. I tended to follow a route I had made in BaseCamp and pushed to the 350, and displayed a track (of the same route) on the Montana. Even this tiny road was on CNNA and my route was following it on this day; you can see that it is telling me I will need to turn left in 1.0 miles. The Zumo route navigation allows one to make a "detour" and choose to avoid a specific road or a specific distance and will then put you back on your route. It will also allow you to search for (gas, food, lodging, etc.) while you are navigating a route, and then if you select one of your search results will ask if you want it inserted into your route. Both of those are very nice features that I have used multiple times. The Montana has neither of them, but it will navigate a route. They are both good units. Montana is better offroad where there are no routable roads, the Zumo is better on the roads that are routable.

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF

Emoto screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 02:49 PM
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
I have a Zumo 350LM, get the Montana. The Zumo sucks for BDR or TAT or whatever else because it won't take tracks, you have to go through all sorts of machinations to get it to take routes that will keep you on the minor roads and trails. I am more than disappointed with mine for a bunch of reasons. I have four Garmin's, this might be the last one too. If you like to ride your motorcycle on 8 lane interstates and have to be told what friggin lane to merge into, then the Zumo is all for you.
The Zumo 660/5s are entirely a different beast. They handle tracks as you would expect the Montana to handle them, except they can only do fewer points per track. Which really isn't a big deal as I hardly need 10,000 points to find something big enough to ride a motorbike on!

We've had decent results running them on the 450/550s.

Dorito screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 02:48 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Buckee
Ah, Grasshopper...

Oddometer: 35
Is the new Monterra still too new to be entered in this conversation?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Thanks for your info, could you give us a little more?

At what zoom level do you loose the detailed roads, on both your units?

I have a nuvi 500 and I have the detail at .3 loose them when I zoom to .5

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What is a "wingmate"? No idea what your first sentence means. Sorry.

I used a 350LM for almost exactly a year and some thousands of miles before getting the new Nav V. It never froze on me[1]. I routinely made Routes of 200-400 miles of all small backroads with many turns in BaseCamp, and pushed them to the unit, and it followed them. Of course, there is a learning curve about making routes with way points and via points, and one must have the same map set on the unit as in BaseCamp and also set as many preferences the same in both places as possible, too. I would not call it either simple or intuitive, but once mastered, produces good results. Since it does not display tracks, it is for the street rider only, but in that domain, does a good job.

[1] Users who enabled the fuel range feature on the 350 did experience freezing. A recent patch from Garmin corrected this problem. I never used that feature, preferring to use my trip odometer, like I have been doing for 30+ years, so I never had that problem.

Edited to add: I also have had a Montana 650T for a little over a year, and ran it side by side with the 350. I tended to follow a route I had made in BaseCamp and pushed to the 350, and displayed a track (of the same route) on the Montana. Even this tiny road was on CNNA and my route was following it on this day; you can see that it is telling me I will need to turn left in 1.0 miles. The Zumo route navigation allows one to make a "detour" and choose to avoid a specific road or a specific distance and will then put you back on your route. It will also allow you to search for (gas, food, lodging, etc.) while you are navigating a route, and then if you select one of your search results will ask if you want it inserted into your route. Both of those are very nice features that I have used multiple times. The Montana has neither of them, but it will navigate a route. They are both good units. Montana is better offroad where there are no routable roads, the Zumo is better on the roads that are routable.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
As of a couple of years ago, the Zumo did a pretty poor job of topo map display as compared to the Montana. So unless the Zumo has improved this, I would say:

Zumo for street

Montana/Monterra for off road
2012 OSSA Explorer/TR280 Convertable
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,339
Well damn. After reading this thread I hope I'm not up for disappointment. I just bought a Zumo 350LM. My only problem is how to wire it to my bike! Any help?

By he way I own a 60Csx for the tracks but wanted a road worthy unit for a planned trip out West later in the summer.

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote