Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Oregon 550t?

I was researching this unit to replace my 2720 that has a screen issue. I have read many articles and watched some YouTube videos about the Oregon 550t.

So, trusting fellow adv'ers, let me ask you all, would this be a solid performer?
I want a good on road and off road, that can record routes and tracks. This unit seems to have a lot of features. I'd also like to be able to hard wire to my battery, with some creative way I'm sure.
Thanks for the intel.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
You will want other maps!

Did you see this;

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmi...c-001b2166c62d

Not sure why everyone thinks they need TOPO especially preloaded TOPO 100k.
1) The 100K is older data, does not support auto-routing.
2) On the one GPS I own that had it preloaded the installation did not include the geographic POI database that installs via the disk.
3) TOPO maps are best when used for true cross-country travel, less so for trails and of little value on the road. On 99.999% of public lands in the use motorized travel off designated routes is a no go and only a small percentage designated routes are shown so it's not much help on the trails either.
4) no address search.

Great for hiking, equestrian etc. but at best second rate for motorized.

CityNavigator is a far better choice for most;

1) Auto-routing maps
2) Updated often so even w/o Lifetime updates you are not getting a 10-20 year old road data. My experience 99% of roads suitable for stock 4X4 are shown.
3) An up to date consumer POI Database, example you can search for nearest fuel, hotel, food, parks (all with addresses and phone #).
4) Address searches.

Not saying the 550T is a bad unit but plan on adding CN and you should know that the Oregon units do not have a heavy-duty hardwire option.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Thanks Bruce,

So maybe this is not the best unit for me, I've been finding threads about the 62s being a decent unit, but like a member said, the usb connection might wear out...I was trying to find a unit that did what I wanted it to do, without a lot of bells and whistles, but getting it hard wired to my battery, since it will stay on my Tiger, is important to me.
The budget says $250, this Oregon fell into that price point...I guess I should keep saving a little more, and go for the Montana.
The GPS game is not real fun to play for some of us, but there are quite a few to choose from. Oh well....I will be patient.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

If you are considering a 62 have a look at the 78 (it is technically a marine unit) as it has the same specs as the 62 and has the waterproof HD power connector. The Oregon might live behind a faring but it might not.

$200 at West Marine with free shipping. You will need maps (CN?), a mount (RAM) and power cable.

Offroad, batteries work for me but then I'm almost always done before dark, the backlighting is the issue.

I love my Tiger (01) as well as others.

Bruce
Old 09-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
When you say it has the same specs, does that mean it will route, handle tracks etc? I had a 60csx and I liked the way that worked, plus it had the waterproof plug. I want to find a GPS that works like that. I upgraded mine to a Montana and we ride together alot out west. I want him to have a GPS with tracks so this will be a gift. Hence, I like the cost factor of the 78 if it will work like the 60csx complete with CN and compatible with Basecamp for transfering tracks and routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
If you are considering a 62 have a look at the 78 (it is technically a marine unit) as it has the same specs as the 62 and has the waterproof HD power connector. The Oregon might live behind a faring but it might not.

$200 at West Marine with free shipping. You will need maps (CN?), a mount (RAM) and power cable.

Offroad, batteries work for me but then I'm almost always done before dark, the backlighting is the issue.

I love my Tiger (01) as well as others.

Bruce

Pantah screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 01:51 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
When you say it has the same specs, does that mean it will route, handle tracks etc? I had a 60csx and I liked the way that worked, plus it had the waterproof plug. I want to find a GPS that works like that. I upgraded mine to a Montana and we ride together alot out west. I want him to have a GPS with tracks so this will be a gift. Hence, I like the cost factor of the 78 if it will work like the 60csx complete with CN and compatible with Basecamp for transfering tracks and routes.
Yes the 78 is to the 62 what the 76 was to the 60, so the 78 has the same specs as the 62. In the process of going from 60 to 62, the 62 lost the good hardwire plug leaving only an mini USB! When the 76 was replaced by the 78, the 78 retained it's HD waterproof plug (as well as the mini USB).

The 78 shares all the same upgrades as the 62 got including the much enhanced track handling (200 ea saved of 10k points each) and routing once you add a routable map set like CN. Same spec as the 62 but for the 78 also have the good plug.

Bruce
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
i had the Oregon 550 and the Montana 650 that I have is way better. back light screen size are the big sellers for me. for the price difference i would easily recommend the Montana over the Oregon. its so much easier to work with on the go. i had the oregon for a year and bit and decided to upgrade after being frustrated with it on a rainy night trying to read it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I like the cost factor of the 78 if it will work like the 60csx complete with CN and compatible with Basecamp for transfering tracks and routes.
If you get a 78, check my web site DualSportWest.com and click GPS. I have set up instructions that make a 78 as close as possible the 60/76.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
a bit late to the fray but I wanted to chime in that I'm really happy with my oregon 450. I bet the montana is real nice but I just didn't have the extra money to spend. The backlight is not great but the screen is very viewable under direct sunlight. I don't have mine hardwired however, I just carry spare batteries.