Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I am far from an expert on these things, but my reading of the specs does not show that they added the ability to view imported tracks.
I don't think Garmin has ever specifically indicated in their "Spec Sheet" that you could display Tracks on the map. Certainly not with the zumo 66x.

Even the zumo66x Spec Sheet only says something like Bluetooth (A2DP) which tells you nothing about what connections can be made or what applications are on the device.

My point is, I don't pay much attention to the Spec Sheet after a quick glance because it doesn't really tell you what the unit software can do with those spec's.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 09:58 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I don't think Garmin has every specifically indicated in their "Spec Sheet" that you could display Tracks on the map. Certainly not with the zumo 66x.

Even the zumo66x Spec Sheet only says something like Bluetooth (A2DP) which tells you nothing about what connections can be made or what applications are on the device.

My point is, I don't pay much attention to the Spec Sheet after a quick glance because it doesn't really tell you what the unit software can do with those spec's.
I agree with your opinion of how incomplete their specs are. I suppose time will tell on this one, but I would be surprised if they added that feature.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I agree with your opinion of how incomplete their specs are. I suppose time will tell on this one, but I would be surprised if they added that feature.
Why would you be surprised? There's always a "new model" to take the place of an old model and five years is quite old in today's PND world.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Why would you be surprised? There's always a "new model" to take the place of an old model and five years is quite old in today's PND world.
I would be surprised because I doubt that enough people are aware of the feature to even be bother by its absence on the 350, much less to have actually bothered contacting Garmin about it.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I would be surprised because I doubt that enough people are aware of the feature to even be bother by its absence on the 350, much less to have actually bothered contacting Garmin about it.
You are correct. That feature was something that the Adv Riding community pushed for and finally got after much escalation within Garmin. But, the reality is that Garmin did not want to target the zumo for our market. So, I'd be surprised if "Off-road Tracks" support was on the zumo 390 also since it takes up a good amount of code space that could be used for more marketable features -- like when you did your last oil change on the Harley.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 134
When I bought my 350 about 14 months ago the graphics were already tired and about a decade old. Seemingly endless bugs, useless features and clumsy interface not withstanding. Re-branding the same tripe and adding a marginally useless feature (that would cost yet an additional $140.00) seems about on par with Garmin's commitment to the MC segment.

They unfortunately were among the first to receive the memo that many MC owners too easily part with their money for overpriced and under-featured accessories. Let alone highly fail-able ones.

If you think this post is somewhat vitriolic you're right. Garmin and their 350 model in particular have afforded me an undue amount of grief.

Proceed with caution my friends.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
Rodknee
don't call me "bub"

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
Garmin and their 350 model in particular have afforded me an undue amount of grief.

Proceed with caution my friends.

just read that whole thread... damn, you are one patient man!
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #23
ckeinath
n00b

Oddometer: 2
vs. Montana?

Read with interest, as I am ready to buy my first GPS. Pretty much sold on the Montana (90% riding on the road; the 10% on forest service roads that are prob on City Navigator... so ability to include Tracks is not that important to me).

What seems like the advantage of MT is reportedly "faster?" I hate the "wait time" of Zumo's I have looked at... (if that makes sense).

Any info on processor speed of this 390? Or memory capacity? Or screen display (vs. Montana)?

Thanks & happy trails...
-chris
ckeinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #24
dadridesagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
anybody got one yet?

I'd almost be willing to part with $700 if it works as well as my iPhone and Scala G9, i.e. lets me listen to Pandora, dips the music volume during navigation alerts, silences music for incoming phone calls, and resumes music when above are finished.
dadridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
KTM Deano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I'm looking at the 390 sat the moment. I had a Tomtom Rider which had many problems with the charging cradle hence the reason to change brands.

I did want a Zumo 660 but I reckon that must be due an update soon. The 390 'DOES' connect to a bluetooth phone which is an essential feature for me (I called Garmin and checked for confirmation of this).

However, I want to wait and see what others think of the 390 first before parting with my cash.
KTM Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #26
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Deano View Post
I'm looking at the 390 sat the moment. I had a Tomtom Rider which had many problems with the charging cradle hence the reason to change brands.

I did want a Zumo 660 but I reckon that must be due an update soon. The 390 'DOES' connect to a bluetooth phone which is an essential feature for me (I called Garmin and checked for confirmation of this).

However, I want to wait and see what others think of the 390 first before parting with my cash.
I shall be surprised if a replacement for the 660 is any better. I fully expect it to be dumbed down even further as the trend continues. Of course, there might well be some bells and whistles that are totally useless to most of us. I just wish that Garmin would reduce the insane number of products they make to something manageable. Then we might see some real progress in these devices.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #27
Endurodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
So, has anyone used one yet? My 550 has seen better days, and this looks like a fair replacement.
Endurodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #28
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

I just ran the software and map update on a 350LM that I sold to a friend, but have yet to deliver, and in the software update, it added the Tracks app. Does the 390 now have the same update, and does that allow (as I believe it does, but have not confirmed by trying it) the ability to display tracks on screen? If so, that is a major feature improvement.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #29
GerJ
Blijde rijder

Oddometer: 74
It seems that the track feature has been added in the latest firmware upgrade for both the 390 and the 350.
GerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #30
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
I've had a 390LM for a couple months now. Retired my 550.

I've not updated it to the new firmware so can't say anything in regards to tracks on screen. I will check that out this afternoon.

Things I do NOT like.
  • No MP3 Player
  • No Traffic while used in MC mount WTF are you thinking Garmin, it's a MC GPS!!!
  • having to plug in the usb cable when using it in the car, why not have the cradle have the power like the 550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
While I'm no expert I do KNOW the 350 does in fact have BT connectivity to a headset only, and that the 390 does NOT have the BT connectivity to a phone like the 66X but just a headset only like the 350. BTW, you don't need to be an expert, just have to comprehend the spec sheet on Garmins site for both GPSR's
Incorrect, you can connect it to a headset and a phone at the same time. I have my iPhone and Sena unit both connected to it. You can even view your phones address book on the 390 and make/receive calls using the 390.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Wlfman screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 08:32 AM
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote