User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 217
Garmin finally ate it, new GPS for the KLR?

I had a Garmin eTrex Legend that served me well for years of riding, from a moped trip cross country (you can see it on the bars)

and onto the KLRs bars when I got that home. While it was not IDEAL for motorcycle riding, it worked well enough for me. But today, I went to fire it up and it just wouldnt, so its time for a new mobetta GPS.

I need a few things:

-Obviously made for a MC, ie weather/vibe proof.
-Loud, if its that kind that alerts you (which all are these days)
-I prefer to leave it on the bike 24/7 (im lazy)
-I dont currently have any spare wiring on the bike, so maybe battery powered (i can put a plug in if I have to...)

I dont need anything crazy, I mostly go in state and the surrounding ones, but not going round the world yet.

Thanks mates!

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
I switched from a Garmin 60CX to a Montana a little over a year ago and really like it. I use it on the KLR for long trips in the west and on my KTM for mountain single track. Very capable and versatile without the limitations of earlier units.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I too have the Montana. I got the Garmin AMPS Rugged Mount which provides power, has a jack for a speaker or plugging it into your helmet. I have a Bluetooth intercom system in my helmet and I plugged a transmitter into the speaker jack and the speed camera warnings are loud and clear.

It also locks the GPS in.

Here is the Bluetooth transmitter I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadHahn View Post
One of the things I don't like about my Montana is the lack of Bluetooth. I have found a solution. It's called the GoGroove BlueSense TRM Bluetooth Transmitter. It plugs into the audio input jack on the Ram mount wiring and syncs up with no problem to my Bluetooth equipped helmet. Now I can hear the alerts from the GPS in my helmet.

The only problem is charging. Until I install a USB charging port on my bike, I have to remember to unplug the transmitter and bring it inside to charge.

It would have been better if the Montana came with Bluetooth but this is a good fairly cheap (less than $30) work around.

Chad

ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,171
Too much conformity in the replies. I'll stick my neck out and tell about my great . . . um . . . Montana. My nuvi went dark just north of Anchorage and I picked up a Montana at the REI store there. But I made the decision before the trip that if the nuvi died I'd probably get a Montana.

The mount with a speaker isn't supposed to be waterproof though.

I went to 3 RAM dealers in the city looking for the rugged RAM mount, but couldn't find it. I ended up with the car mount which I butchered onto a RAM ball. The car mount has the speaker, the rugged mount does not. The car mount is also not supposed to be rain proof although mine was rained on (occasionally) for about 3 weeks. I had always put my nuvi away during hard rain but I left the Montana out in the worst of it even knowing the mount wasn't supposed to be there.

I have since purchased the RAM rugged mount because I want my GPS to be silent. ChadHahn has a good solution but I don't want to have to re-charge my helmet every few nights.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote