Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,205
Old 11-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #62
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,589
Awesome.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #63
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
Really enjoying your ride report

Thanks for your hardwork

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #64
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Oddometer: 368
A little overview where I have been:

First half of the last RR

Second half

The whole trip so far

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #65
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,589
Thanks for the map. I had one open as I read the report and kept searching locations as you listed them and actually did a good job of keeping up with where you were. Glad to see you confirm it for me.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #66
Owly
Into the Dark

Oddometer: 152
Cave diving, Nullabor

Seeing yr a diver you may be interested in the cave diving in the lime stone caves,

Not sure how u arrage it but there are a number of sites , google may assist

Enjoying the report !
Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #67
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Rest of the Nullarbor

After a night of camping under the amazing star-spattered sky of the Nullarbor Plains, we had a little bit of raindrops in the morning. John ( Squily ) told me before the Nullarbor Plains should be an area lacking in rain :)
We packed our belongings and rode together a little further to the camels tanks, a rain water catchment facility build nearly a 100 years ago to supply the camel coaches they used in the Nullarbor for the transportation of goods.

We said goodbye to each other and promised to see us again at the Flinders Ranges Classic in April. John gave me his little cooling bag as leaving present, because I mentioned I should get one as well when I saw his the day before.

Johns ride report about the trip http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=52

Since John had provided me a lot of GPS tracks for the whole Nullarbor I took a little detour to visit the coastline.

I needed nearly 7 hours to finish the 160 km of the detour and get to the Caiguna Roadhouse. I filled the tank, again for cheap 2.10$ per litre, had an ice cream and went on to the bitumen to get kilometres done. But I did a little detour to visit the Cocklebiddy Cave.

At the Cocklebiddy Roadhouse I had a shower and the motorcycle 4 L of premium gas for only 2.14$ the litre.
Near the roadhouse I tried to visit three other caves but I couldn't find the entrance of two and the third looked to steep. For the night I camped at one of the many free rest areas along the Eyre Highway. The next day I stayed on the bitumen for a little bit longer. From Madura Roadhouse (2.12$) I went to Mundrabilla Roadhouse (only 91 octan fuel available) for another ice cream stop. At Mundrabilla I used on of Johns tracks to get to the next roadhouse.
I thought I could go all the way to the coast but I ended up in an (I think) Aboriginal community.

So turned around and used the 4WD track to get through the Roe Plain to the ruins of an old telegraph station.

Round about one kilometre before I arrived the track was going through sand dunes. I hat crossing sand dunes because I still feel uncomfortable doing it. But I didn't wont to go back and take a 3-kilometre detour ;) So I had to go.

After 2/3 of the way through the sand dunes I started to smell burning plastic. I turned around and couldn't see may plastic fuel can anymore. One of the belts had loosened itself and now the jerrycan hanging on the side of my bike toughing the hot exhaust pipe. Luckily there was only a very small amount of fuel left in the can.

Anyway, I managed to get to the ruins ;)

After a short break in the air-conditioned Eucla Roadhouse I went on to cross the border between Western Australia and South Australia.

Arriving in SA a left the Eyre Highway again to use the Old Eyre Highway.

I stayed on the Old Eyre Highway until the abandoned Koonalda Roadhouse.

But then I wanted to see the coast one more time.

For the night I stayed again at one of the free rest areas.

The next morning I didn't leave the bitumen anymore to get some distance done and so I arrived in Ceduna the first real city in SA. The first thing I did was going into a tourist information centre to get new free maps of the area, than buying some groceries and I was gone. I ended up at the local campground in Smoky Bay a little fishing village.

They have nothing special in Smoky Bay but ousters. I bought 25 ousters for 14$ the best price I have seen so far.
After opening the first one I realised I was too lazy to do it the same way with the other 24. I put them on the BBQ and ate them with bacon and BBQ-sauce. Really good!

The next day took me to Streaky Bay where I went onto a tourist drive following the coastline and back into the town.

I bought some more foodstuffs and went on to get to Walters Rock. I camped there for two nights because of bad weather and bad stomach :(

Where am I ?

der-Seppel screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 03:24 AM
Old 12-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #68
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

an other map

Where am I ?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #69
Neonasty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Looks like a great trip!

I live on the south east side of Melbourne. When you make it around here send me a message and I can guide you around a bit. Your welcome to pitch a tent and have a shower and do some maintenance at my place if you need to.

-Shaun
Melbourne.
Neonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #70
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonasty View Post
I live on the south east side of Melbourne. When you make it around here send me a message and I can guide you around a bit. Your welcome to pitch a tent and have a shower and do some maintenance at my place if you need to.

-Shaun
Melbourne.
Hi Shaun

might be a good place for me before I go over to Tassi.

I will contact you

Dominik

Where am I ?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #71
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Port Lincoln

Right at the first evening at Walters Rock I received a message from Matty (desert dog) and Naz (nazza) ( www.sailadventure.com.au ) inviting me to visit them in Port Lincoln.

My meeting point with Matty was the lookout on top of the highest hill around the city.

Arriving at Matty's house I first meet his dog Ani and than Naz.
I only managed to take one photo the first evening.

But I showed Matty and Naz a video that John had reminded me of when I was in Esperance.
The video was the running gag the whole time I have been in Port Lincoln :)

On Saturday morning I went on to a little scouting expedition into nearby Lincoln National Park.

We had planed to start a little sailing trip on Saturday afternoon but the weather forecast expected a bad storm for the night. And there actually was a big thunderstorm at night.
On late Sunday forenoon we left the towns marina and set sail to the town jetty.

Matty had some appointments at Monday morning and this was the best spot to reach them by foot.
In the afternoon we got company by George, a friend of Matty, and his dog Jimmy.

The evening developed itself into a nice event with some or even more beer and a BBQ on the boat.

Around midnight Naz offered to show me how to fish because I had never done it before. After a few minutes Matty and George joined us as well.

I was lucky and caught my first fish that night.

But it did not get the chance to experience the taste of the fish because we used it as bait.

Where am I ?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #72
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
That's the way to hold your fish too, as far out as possible to make it look bigger

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #73
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezcal View Post
That's the way to hold your fish too, as far out as possible to make it look bigger
That's what Matty told me as he took the picture :)

Where am I ?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #74
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,310
Just try not to make your hand the hero of the shot though.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #75
Sandino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Great report mate, cheers
Sandino is offline   Reply With Quote