Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
guitstik OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
long ride into winter

The winter solstice is fast approaching and with it the official start of winter. That date is December 21st and at that point the sun is at it's most southern track in the Northern Hemisphere. For you non geeks out there the declination of the Sun on the winter solstice is known as the tropic of capricorn (-23 27'). At this time of year (except for those bastards in Florida and California) most riders are thinking only of winterizing their rides and catching up on the neglected maintenance that was put off during the summer "riding" months. This thread is dedicated to those of us that are either fool hardy or dedicated enough to ride into that long goodnight that we call winter. I would like to read your stories and even see pictures or videos that you have or will take during this time of year.

To start off, I don't have any pictures yet but I do have one or two anecdotes. I am constantly amused at the attitude that most people have when they see me riding or hear that I am still riding in 20F weather. Take for instance this morning as I was getting all of my riding gear on for my 35 mile trek home after work. The temperature here has dipped down into the balmy relm of 25*F with a wind chill of 19*F. Frost has started gathering on the vehicles in the parking lot and people are scraping ice from windshields. As I stand next to my bike with it idling to warm it up and me getting bundled into my gear, folks will still ask me if I am planning on riding in this freezing weather. They either tell me that I am crazy or hard core, I guess it is all in how you look at it. I just see it as a matter of fact that I love to ride and this time of year is just that much better because I like the feel of winters icy caress on my face through the gap in my visor that keeps it from fogging up.

On a side note, I am prepared for just about anything that winter could possibly throw at me to the extent of my choice of tires and having studs ready for any ice accumulation. One thing that I had not considered and was made apparent to me this morning is that I do not think that those studs will react very well to those large steel plates that road crews put down to cover a hole. I say this because I ran across one this morning that they had apparently just been installed the previous day because it was not there when I came into work.

Lets hear your stories and or any preparations that you have made or will make for continuing to ride into winter.

Harley Davidson: The cure for the common man.
71 R75, 73 R75, 81 R65, 97 R1100GS
guitstik is offline   Reply With Quote