Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #46
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
"Actually, I always really loved and admired Indycar," says di Resta, suddenly
Yeah, I was wondering if he or Sutil were looking at IndyCar. I think Sutil can get work in Europe, but di Resta obviously has a connection here.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #47
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Yeah, I was wondering if he or Sutil were looking at IndyCar. I think Sutil can get work in Europe, but di Resta obviously has a connection here.

I gather Dario's seat is going to Ryan Briscoe.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #48
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post

Adrian Sutil new Sauber driver

Quote:

Second driver for the Swiss team is yet to be announced, but Gutierrez hopes to continue with the team are still alive.
Friday, December 13, 2013

Adrian Sutil will race for Sauber in 2014.

BERLIN, Dec 13, 2013 (AFP) - Germany's Adrian Sutil will race for Sauber next season, the Swiss Formula One team announced Friday.
The 30-year-old was forced to look for another drive after his previous team Force India named Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez as their drivers for next season.
"After six seasons with Force India and many great moments, it was time for me to embark on a new challenge.
"I am determined to do my part in order to have a successful future together with the Sauber F1 Team. The long and successful tradition in motorsport, combined with an impressive factory and one of the best wind tunnels in F1, have been fascinating me for a long time." Said Sutil in a statement released by Sauber.
Sutil's arrival was made possible by compatriot Hulkenberg's defection to Force India, to be partnered by Mexican Perez, who arrived from McLaren.
Sutil's partner next season has not yet been announced but young Mexican Esteban Gutierrez, who raced for the team in 2013, could keep his seat.
"I'm delighted because we've wanted to work with Adrian for a while," said Sauber's general manager Monisha Kaltenborn.
"Adrian is not only very fast, but also brings a lot of experience, which is very important looking at the new regulations for next year." She added.
After spells in various other racing series, Sutil joined the then Midland F1 team as a test driver in 2006.
The next year he became a Grand Prix racer for the Spyker F1 team, which had bought out Midland.
A year later the team was again sold and renamed Force India, but Sutil's entire F1 career has essentially been with the same outfit.
Earlier on Friday his manager Manfred Zimmermann had revealed that Sutil's future in the sport had been secured for next season, although without disclosing his destination.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #49
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 854
Quote:

Blah, get some new blood in there (that doesn't suck.)
Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #50
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I gather Dario's seat is going to Ryan Briscoe.
Nope, Tony K will be in the # 10 Target car, but Briscoe is driving for Ganassi too in the # 8.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/indyc...-vacated-seat/

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #51
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

13 December 2013 Last updated at 13:27 GMT

Ross Brawn to take six-month break from Formula 1

By Andrew Benson Chief F1 writer
Ross Brawn says he plans to take six months off before deciding whether to return to Formula 1.
His last day as Mercedes team principal is on Friday after he decided to step down following management changes.
Continue reading the main story
I want to clear my mind, take a rest and then decide if I want to return to F1, subject of course to any opportunities existing
Ross Brawn

Brawn told BBC Sport: "I am refusing to discuss any possible future positions until at least next summer.
"I want to clear my mind, take a rest and then decide if I want to return to F1, subject of course to any opportunities existing."
Brawn was the mastermind of all seven of Michael Schumacher's world titles at Benetton and Ferrari and also won the championship with Jenson Button with his own team in 2009.
The 59-year-old has been linked with potential future roles at McLaren, governing body the FIA and Honda, which is returning to F1 as McLaren's engine supplier in 2015.
McLaren chairman Ron Dennis admitted that he had spoken to Brawn about the future.
Dennis told BBC Sport: "I did have a conversation with him but we were shooting together. We were having a chat and we're mature motor racing people so of course you're going to talk about life.
"But going beyond that, as you would expect, it's normal stuff. People probe around, the possible, the impossible. My understanding is he intends to take a year off. That's my understanding of his intention."
Brawn said: "It wouldn't be fair or appropriate to say if any parties have invited me for discussions.
"I am starting my fishing trips early next year and only time will tell if Formula 1 and me ever get together again."
McLaren emphasised that Whitmarsh and Brawn had a long-standing and friendly relationship.
A McLaren spokesman said: "Martin and Ross have known each other for more than 20 years, get on very well and speak frequently. Our understanding is that Ross intends to enjoy some well-earned rest next year."
Dennis owns 25% of McLaren but has non-executive status and no role on the F1 side of the business.
Who is Ross Brawn?

• Date of birth: 23 November 1954
  • Formula 1 teams: Williams (1978-84), Haas Lola (1985-86), Arrows (1987-88), Benetton (1991-96), Ferrari (1997-2006), Honda (2007-08), Brawn (2009), Mercedes (2010-13)
  • Drivers' titles: Benetton 1994-95 (Michael Schumacher), Ferrari 2000-04 (Schumacher), Brawn 2009 (Jenson Button)
  • Constructors' titles: Benetton 1995; Ferrari 1999-2004; Brawn 2009
  • Other success: 1991 World Sportscar Championship with Jaguar

But sources say he is trying to engineer his way back in charge of the team and believes Brawn is a potential candidate to take over as team principal from Martin Whitmarsh.
The balance of the shareholding in the F1 team is held by the Bahraini royal family's Mumtalakat investment fund, which owns 50%, and Dennis's long-time business partner Mansour Ojjeh, who owns 25%.
Ojjeh is in hospital following a double lung transplant and Dennis is said to be trying to raise money from Chinese investors to buy the Saudi businessman's shareholding.
Dennis refused to comment on specifics, but did not rule out a change of shareholding.
"Every year there is a specific window that is designed to be outside the racing season in which share transactions can be considered," he said.
"I don't think we have gone past that specific window in any specific year where people haven't looked at the situation.
"So what is coming into the media is the rumours that have no more value than the fact this is the time of the year that people look at equity, we set our budgets and business plans and you're just picking up the bits and pieces that stem out of that process."

Old 12-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #52
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
I want to clear my mind, take a rest and then decide if I want to return to F1, subject of course to any opportunities existing Ross Brawn

Being the man in charge for 7 Constructors titles will probably open an opportunity or two...
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #53
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
That's unexpectedly good news. I'm happy for him. I hope Sauber can rebound from what was, for them, a bad season.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 12-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #54
wxwax
Excited Member

Good piece on McLaren's internal shenanigans, Greg. Dennis didn't step down willingly and I've always believed he had a shadow role with the F1 team, not least because he shows up at the track. But I hadn't realized there was a schism between him and Whitmarsh.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 12-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #55
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Ross Brawn to take six-month break from Formula 1
Maybe he'll go back to designing slot cars?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #56
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

chassis crash testing at Caterham

Old 12-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #57
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Spa?

Old 12-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #58
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

unless he's bested by his team-mate.... not that this test usually means much.

Quote:
Button: First 2014 test will be hilarious

Jonathan Noble, Matt Beer
December 16, 2013

More in F1:
Ricciardo: Webber's Red Bull experience no guide
Read More >>

Jenson Button believes the drivers' first on-track taste of the 2014 Formula 1 cars will be "hilarious."
The 2009 world champion suspects that the combination of the very different behavior of the all-new turbocharged V6 engines, inevitable initial unreliability and cold temperatures at Jerez in January will make the first runs a bizarre experience.
"Winter testing is going to be hilarious in Jerez," said Button, who has tried the 2014 McLaren in the team's simulator. "It will be cold, the tires aren't going to work, the cars probably won't work either and, when you do get a lap, it is probably going to feel weird because you are running higher gears you get into eighth gear before you get to seventh gear now.
"It is a very different way of driving and you have to forget a lot you have learned over the years in terms of the driveability of a racing car, the engine, the power output of a racing car and the way you put the power down. It is so, so different."
He said the mixture of increased torque and reduced downforce would be an intriguing challenge.
"No one knows how they will perform until the first race next year," said Button. "It is going to be tricky because we do have a lot more torque with the engine.
"There will be a lot less downforce as there will be no [exhaust] blowing. I don't care what they say, there is still a massive amount of blowing on an F1 car. It is going to be very tough to get to grips with it.

"There is a lot to learn for all of us, even the experienced drivers, and it is exciting. You want to be out on circuit at the tricky corners, even Turn 2/3 [at Jerez] will be tough to get the power down. You need a throttle pedal that is a meter long to control the torque of the engine. Hopefully, the experience I have with developing the car and making it how you want it to be will help me for next year."
Although he expects testing to be potentially chaotic, Button has no doubt that the teams will be on top of things in time for the season opener.
"It is in a bad place right now but by the first race we will all have it sorted," he added.
Testing commences at Jerez on Jan. 28, with the season beginning with the Australian Grand Prix on March 16.

This article originally appeared in Autosport.com

Old 12-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #59
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g
I am thinking '68 (because there are no wings or aero mods to the Lotus 49), either Belgium or France, Graham Hill driving.

What do I win?

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #60
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
I am thinking '68 (because there are no wings or aero mods to the Lotus 49), either Belgium or France, Graham Hill driving.

What do I win?

LOL my everlasting admiration...
I just thought it was a cool picture