Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #916
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Go for it! Sounds like you've got it figured out, Hoot. The mighty TW won't set any asphalt speed records . . . but other than that . . . it makes a great little recreational moto . . . kind of like a two-wheeled jeep.

Sounds like a good time to buy for you. If the bike turns out not to be your thing . . . should be an easy resale with only a modest dollar loss. The TW won't match a KLX250s in any performance aspect . . . except for sending out good karma.

Enjoy!
Great...I plan on keeping the klx250s for major DA riding, but would like to use the tw200 for some off roading and getting to my umpiring/officiating gigs via the back roads, some gravel, some dirt, and some two lane black tops...

thanks for the confirmation!
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #917
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
follow this link to my2wheels.com, loads of rides all the time in and around Vegas, great bunch of guys riding at all levels
Thanks Paul... I'm also on M2W, and I actually cross-posted the DVDaze ride coming up the end of January to M2W, trying to see who local is going.

We're having (someone else is hosting) a holiday dinner this weekend at a local Vegas restaurant, so it'll be a chance for me to meet some of the local guys.

RRR, I saw that snowstorm and the jacked up freeway accidents on TV... it looked pretty intense!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #918
acidman1968
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Hey FTL900 -- Thanks! You are certainly welcome to join up for future dual sport rides. Road rides fine also. We have a loose group of inmates that gets together periodically. Nothing formal, or regularly scheduled, but we seem to do ok. I usually post "Open Invites" and am also receptive to reasonable suggestions (overnight to Toroweap, meet in Mesquite, etc.). Currently, all the backroads around St. George are covered in 6 inches of snow, and it is still cold. Snow machines and ATVs better suited to this stuff. You probably heard . . . I-15 through the AZ Gorge got shut down the other night. About 300 cars and a few school buses spent the night in the Gorge.

Did go out on my TW (on pavement) yesterday afternoon. One pic from Snow Canyon State Park, adjacent to St. George.

Thanks for sharing this pic! My folks have lived in St. George for 20 years, and that was the most snow they've seen since they moved there.
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #919
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Riding along the Railroad Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Is the route above a dualsport or adventure bike route? Planning at least a trip or two next year to the state. Just love it.

Hey Browneye -- This map is from Post #823 on page 55. Check it out for details.

1) Kane Spring Road is the dirt from Parowan to Minersville. Graded dirt. Very average. No trains.
2) Thermo Road. From Minersville almost to Lund. Short piece on graded dirt.
3) Lund to Beryl. Smooth dirt. Passable with a road bike.
4) Beryl to Modena. Rougher section with some looser gravel. Not suggested for road bike, but any dual sport or ADV bike fine.
5) Modena to Enterprise. Dirt, but could be prone to mud. Only do on road-type bike if recent conditions good.

The section from Modena to Beryl to Lund is most interesting, due to trains, not necessarily the terrain. Fine in either direction. I've ridden sections of this on both my WR250R and my Versys. Mud would be the stopper. Some flat sections adjacent to the railroad grade collect water.

You could certainly build a nice route from Caliente, NV north to Milford, UT essentially along the railroad line most/all of the way. Barclay, NV is a cool little outpost. Also very good riding south of Caliente in Meadow Valley Wash. I've done almost all of this, but haven't connected it in one long ride.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #920
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
This is a pretty picture, with or without the TW. I thought St. George area got more snow in the winter. Maybe I confused myself when I see all your Brian Head photo's.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #921
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:

Hey Browneye -- This map is from Post #823 on page 55. Check it out for details.

Thanks! Looks like a good leg for a early season road trip next year.
Ride and camp for a few days on big adv bikes.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #922
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
The TW won't match a KLX250s in any performance aspect . . . except for sending out good karma.

Enjoy!

Was that ZING directed at me?
Old 12-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #923
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Snow Pics from Dec 8th, 2013

All these pics were taken on Sunday, Dec 8th, the day after the big snowstorm in St. George.

Our street.

Out walking with Mrs. RedRockRider.

Kids with ATV and sleds in local park. Everything is frozen solid. No damage to grass. At midnight the night before someone drove a snow machine down the street. Too bad all my toys were at Brian Head.

Pond is almost frozen over. Tough going for the ducks.

Looking out across the snowy rooftops.

Dozens of these guys popped up all over the neighborhood.

Bright purple -- nice contrast with snow.

Later that afternoon rode the TW out to Snow Canyon.

Winter wonderland.

This red cliff is nearly vertical and west facing. Doesn't hold any snow.

At the trail head to Jenny's Canyon.

Winter. Probably 6-8 inches of snow in most places.

A few bike pics in the park (since this is a motorcycle website ).

Great color contrasts.

Down the road and heading home.

One short detour to play in the untouched parking lot.

Most of the snow is still on the ground although it is warming slightly. Thanks for checkin' in.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #924
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,800
FTL, you seem to like the same type of riding that I do, when it comes to off roading. I need to get another DS bike.

RedRockRider, kudos to one of the best threads on this website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
RRR-

Great ride reports, I'm subscribed!!

We got a little snow in Las Vegas last week- not enough to stick, but a little more in the mountains with a dusting of snow across all the peaks, and Mt Charleston had enough to go skiing or snowboarding.

I've just gotten into the DS thing, having been a street rider forever with occasional (intentional) detours into the dirt.
Since buying a DR350 2 months ago, I'm kind of trying to find my niche and understand what I had in mind when I created my short list, with the WR250, DR350, DRZ400, and... I forget, there was one more bike on there, but nothing as big as the KLR. Anyway, I certainly did not have in mind trans-continental with hard bags or anything.

I bought it with the idea that I wasn't planning to do any more pavement miles than necessary, mostly back roads, single or double track. I recently trucked it up north to Logandale north of Vegas with some friends, but they took 3 MX250 dirt bikes, and I quickly realized that I had NOT found my niche there.

I am constantly noticing dirt roads that head up a mountain, and wondering where that road goes. I like riding and exploring, not so much desert racing or putting on thousands of interstate highway miles. So your pictures look like exactly what I'm looking for. I don't plan on loading everything in my garage onto the bike.

I'm sure there are similar roads around the Vegas area, but I haven't found anyone that wants to go "exploring" just yet, and not knowing the area very well (or where cell service works and does not work), I hesitate to strike out on my own. Others I have encountered seem to be more into dunes, desert racing, or finding the impossible hill to climb. With trials or 50/50 tires (Kenda K270) on a DR350, I'm not much into those. I don't know much about your TW200, but my DR350 has all the power of any XR200 ever produced.

Anyway, I'm interested in the kind of riding that you're doing, and thinking perhaps when you're planning a weekend day trip with other friends, I can truck up there and unload to ride with you. Your day trip excursion pictures look exactly what I had in mind when I bought this bike- exploring roads and unknown areas.

San Diego looked like a great trip, and you went through our backyard on your return... Nipton, Searchlight... did you go through Oatman? It's a great tiny tourist stop of an old western town, complete with gunfights in the street, and burros wandering through town in search of handouts. It's southeast of Searchlight and east of Laughlin. We were coming in from Kingman on I-40 after a breakfast there at Cracker Barrel. Leaving Kingman, we went south on I-40 and then took Route 66 west to get into Oatman.

That section of Route 66 must be original, because it was some of the worst road I've ever ridden. After miles and miles of bad road, we would suddenly come into a turn and find new smooth pavement, and silently celebrate that the bad road was over... only to realize the corner had been newly paved but that was all... and then it was back to old, very abrasive surface, barely worth being called a road.

Anyway, I digress. I'm interested in going DS exploring, whether up in your neck of the woods, starting a new chapter around around Vegas, or anywhere in between.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #925
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,447

RRR,

I see the pics and just shake my head in amazement. To see SG in that kind of weather event is incredible.

Now you get to tell the stories..."Let me tell you about Dec of '13".
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #926
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
RRR: The more I read and see the TW I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new one...there are several 2013s locally here in Western Ohio that I can pick up for less than $3500, as the dealers try to reduce inventory before the Spring riding season.

Just asking....is there anything these are not capable of doing{beside roll down the Interstate at 75-80 mph}? With the short seat height and fat tires, they seem like a perfect fit for this old man
If you can get one for that price. Do it. In Vegas, they are over $5000

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #927
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
FTL, you seem to like the same type of riding that I do, when it comes to off roading. I need to get another DS bike.
Just stick a plate on a dirt bike, it's cheaper and the bike is faster!!!

I have seen 2 plated KDX's for sale on CL recently, and after riding the DR a few times, I'm feeling the need for 2 stroke smoke! I think I'm gonna have to rearrange the garage and get a dedicated dirt bike. Or a plated dirt bike.

The DR is great for dirt roads and cow trails, but it doesn't have the excitement of a 2 stroke. Or the power band of a 2 stroke. Or any power.

But it will outrun almost any XR200 ever made.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #928
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 110
Tw 200

One of these days I will post the MPH that I clocked RRR on his TW on Old Highway 91
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #929
DRZ RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Tw200 mph

I will second the MPH done by RRR. I was very suprised
"Just because you can...does'nt mean you should"
DRZ RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #930
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
If you can get one for that price. Do it. In Vegas, they are over $5000
Honda East in Toledo/Maumee had three 2013s for $3399...I secured one and will be picking it up after New Years Day....a personal X-Mas Present for myself....I was pretty happy as well. {Even with the add ons my cash layout including taxes is well under $4000} Buddy of mine and I will put it in the back of his Pick Up and bring it home...I am pretty excited{of course turning 65 next March, that doesn't take much these days}
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote