ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Beezer Josh OP
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 830
DC MSF Course

Does anyone know if there are ever any MSF courses in Washington DC? If so, do they take the place of the riding test for a motorcycle endorsement in the District?
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,626
Requirements

• You are at least 18 years of age
  • You have a valid DC driver license
  • You pass the DC motorcycle knowledge test
  • You pass the DC DMV motorcycle demonstration skills test or provide a motorcycle demonstration course certificate of completion, within the last 6 months, approved by DC, Maryland or Virginia.
From the dc.gov website here

Looks like DC has no place that teaches at the present time. You can find classes in Virginia here and Maryland here.

Good luck!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
I took the MSF in VA and DC's knowledge test was pretty much the same as the MSF course. It was 20 or 30 questions and easy. It doesn't make sense for DC to accept the demonstration portion but not the knowledge section, you would think they'd accept both or none.

I found it a HUGE pain to get the bike registered....You have to go to the DMV to get a temp tag in order to go to the inspection station (and there's just one in the whole city) only to have some guy peer over the counter and say "Yep that's a motorcycle, here's your inspection sticker. That's $35 please." Then you have to go back to the DMV and show them that you passed the inspection at which point they give you a permanent tag....oh yeah did I mention they don't have temp tags for motorcycles.....truly the process is WTF.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
djsteckler
DC-ADVRider

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroni View Post
I took the MSF in VA and DC's knowledge test was pretty much the same as the MSF course. It was 20 or 30 questions and easy. It doesn't make sense for DC to accept the demonstration portion but not the knowledge section, you would think they'd accept both or none.

I found it a HUGE pain to get the bike registered....You have to go to the DMV to get a temp tag in order to go to the inspection station (and there's just one in the whole city) only to have some guy peer over the counter and say "Yep that's a motorcycle, here's your inspection sticker. That's $35 please." Then you have to go back to the DMV and show them that you passed the inspection at which point they give you a permanent tag....oh yeah did I mention they don't have temp tags for motorcycles.....truly the process is WTF.
They are very similar it's true; however, there are small number of questions that pertain to the driving laws in Washington. The study guide is online as are a few practice tests. It's worth it to look at both.

As to registration: I can only speak to my own experience (obviously) and I was registering a new motorcycle, which may have eliminated much of the hastle noted above but I found it to be a breeze.

Finally to ther OP: at risk of exacerbating a minor flame war from another thread re how coddled federal employees are: they teach the class at Joint Base Anacostia Bolling, free for active duty and DoD civilians. DoD requires that all personnel riding a MC on a military base take the course, so they pay to host it. If you work for another fed agency and have a CAC badge (i.e., you can gain access to JBAB), you may be able to register for the class.
djsteckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsteckler View Post
As to registration: I can only speak to my own experience (obviously) and I was registering a new motorcycle, which may have eliminated much of the hastle noted above but I found it to be a breeze.
Agreed if registering a new motorcycle from a dealer, the dealer provides the temp tags and what not. Then it's just show up, wait in line and pay the fees.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Josh View Post
Does anyone know if there are ever any MSF courses in Washington DC? If so, do they take the place of the riding test for a motorcycle endorsement in the District?
Don't know if DC allows another local MSF course in place of their road test but unless it's changed in DC you can get a 1-yr learner's permit for a MC by only taking the written portion of the test (seems odd to me), can even renew it for a year, so I rode 2yrs on a learners as was too dang lazy to deal with doing the road test but once I did it was in Feb and had to go to the DMV across from Rhode Is. Ave Home Depot and my test consisted of 1 lap around the tiny parking lot dodging cars backing out and 1 really tight figure 8 no feet down, the lady watching was freezing her DMV butt off so wanted to make it quick

But I totally support taking a MSF course.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Beezer Josh OP
Disgruntled Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsteckler View Post
Finally to ther OP: at risk of exacerbating a minor flame war from another thread re how coddled federal employees are: they teach the class at Joint Base Anacostia Bolling, free for active duty and DoD civilians. DoD requires that all personnel riding a MC on a military base take the course, so they pay to host it. If you work for another fed agency and have a CAC badge (i.e., you can gain access to JBAB), you may be able to register for the class.
That's really good information as I will be transferring positions next week...I'll ask whether the DoD course is required there. This question was for a friend of mine who might be getting his motorcycle endorsement. Does anyone know if taking the MSF courses in va or md can be used to fulfill the riding portion of the test in DC?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Josh View Post
Does anyone know if taking the MSF courses in va or md can be used to fulfill the riding portion of the test in DC?
I believe my previous post answers that question. The link I provided is DC's official website, correct?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
Beezer Josh OP
Disgruntled Minion

Yep, it does. I originally looked at the replies from my phone while on the shitter and missed that part of the post in all the excitement. Thanks!