ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #166
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado dutch View Post
Mike,
I'm ready for a big bike dual sport ride. I will pm you.
Ok all of you Tip of the Mitt riders - looks like Colorado Dutch , my wife and I are meeting up at the EZ Mart Mobil gas station in Boyne Falls tomorrow at 12:00 noon. Plan is to head from there across Thumb Lake road through Vanderbilt to get onto some of the dirt roads etc. into the Pigeon River state forest area. We're not looking for anything gnarly as I am a newbie to the big bikes, more just some fun dirt road riding. Be there by noon and join us!

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #167
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Well looks like I missed out .....
BUT
By any chance do you Tip oh Michigan fellows have another Big Bike color tour planed ?
There seems to be a couple of us East siders looking .........
Old 09-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #168
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

TTF - yep you missed out indeed. I am a total newb to this sort of riding. Colorado shared some good pointers with me and we had a blast. Thanks for tolerating my much slower pace today! Not to many miles but lots of smiles. My wife enjoyed it as well. A couple of pics attached.

No specific plans yet, but I am sure we will be getting out again. I have some stuff going the next couple of weekends, but when time frees up I will post here and see what we can make happen.

This pic was a brief stop at the Pigeon River State Forest vistors center:

Here we are on what previously was big wide gravel road which got smaller and smaller. Not far after this pic it was down to a much narrower two track. Fun stuff. A bit soft in spots. Makes me want some TKC80s.

And here is a shot of my new toy with all the farkles on. Prior owner had it set up pretty well:

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
Old 09-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #169
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado dutch View Post
Mike,
Great ride today, looks like we ended up going south on Tin Shanty road instead of north on ossmund road. O well that's why its called adventure riding. See you next time.

I was just looking at a map online. For the life of me I can't figure out how in the world we worked out way around to Lost Cabin Trail! But if you dont care where you are, you are never lost! Had a blast, and looking forward to more.

After we left you, Sheila and I headed east on Sparr road, until it hit county road 622, to Rouse Road, out to M33 and south to home.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #170
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Looks like a good trip, wish I had a big bike to go with the KLX. Maybe next time I will put some street shoes on and come on up if I have the day off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #171
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Sweet . Looks & sounds like you all had a good time . Also looks like the trees are still fairly green too so I have some time .
I will watch a lil closer here . I'll have a good day ride to Atlanta area and back . I have done Gladwin and back in a day on a KLR so should be do~able !
Hopefully another ride will pan out to were I can make up !
Glad all worked out well and YES if you don't care were you are I don't call it lost !
Old 09-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #172
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Next two weekends are booked . Then I may be free till ice hits .
Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #173
dthogey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Sorry I can't make it, out of town this weekend

Kalkaska MI
2009 BMW K1200LT
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
dthogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #174
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Things have been silent from all the Tip of the Mitt riders....seems winter has caught up with us. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I am still hoping we might have a thaw and get rid of the snow such I can get in another ride. I've got a set of new Mitas E-07's in the garage waiting to be mounted and put to use - eager to see how they do on some dirt.

Until then, I guess its back to looking at pics of past rides and surfing ADV!

Old 11-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #175
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Yep

Sounds about right Mike, hoping for one more ride... otherwise time to get ready to tear into her for the winter make over.

So far on my list I have a new front and rear fender. New tail light, new stator, wire in a battery, new headlights, and rebuild the carb.

Still looking for a headlight that I like, wanting to go with buell duals. And need to fork over the money for carb kit.

Stay Warm
yotatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #176
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Henk

Is your 650 cylinder plated or plain steel bore? If not plated, Several years ago I had a cylinder bored for a old RM370 I was restoring by a place on west side of Gaylord, right on M32 - I think name is Alpine engineering or some such thing. Located on south side of 32, kinda around the movie theater.

BTW - looks like Sheila and I are not moving away from Atlanta. Long story - so plan on some riding this spring!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodutch View Post
I'm looking for a machine shop to bore my XR650L Cylinder near Potoskey

Old 12-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #177
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Mike,
Sounds good to me. Glade to hear you and Sheila are sticking around. my Honda is getting a face lift this winter. Did you get those TKC80's ?
Thanks. I am hoping to have a bit of a face lift for my off road bike this spring (I sold mine last April actually and have been riding my son's KTM 200) - the Budget and Finance committee (ie - Sheila! ) has tentatively approved another KTM - most likely a used 250XC or 250XCW - maybe a 300.

I ended up going with some Mitas E-07's for the V Strom - decided I wanted a bit better on road manners and longevity than a TKC, but still better dirt than my Battlewing/Trailwing combo. The look like they should do the trick, all the reviews on them are good to..

Old 12-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #178
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Are you Tip of the Mitt Riders sick and tired of the snow yet? I am...

But the good news is I am picking up a new to me off road mount next week - 2012 KTM XC 300 (or 250 depending on my mood - the bike will come with both top ends). I may start with it set up with the 300 cylinder, gear it tall and take in some more dirty dual sporting than the Vstrom is worthy of... or I may run it as a 250 for some D14 enduros.....

Old 12-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #179
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

I hear ya on the snow shoveling. My driveway is 1/2 mile long and gets lots of drifting - its not a quick easy job!

I've had a GoPro for a few years now (it is one of their earliest versions - Non HD and very basic). I really enjoy the footage - though as I am bandwidth impaired, anything I put online to share with others has to be in even further reduced resolution it really is not good for viewing. I cant imagine uploading any HD stuff - there goes my data limit!

But stupidity is fun!

Quote:
Mike,
Why yes I am. Shoveling every day is starting to get old and then there is our freindly snow plows who makes sure to put a couple of tons in front of my drive way. At least the winter is giving me time for some serious garage dwelling. I got a helment cam for Cristmas can't wait to record all our stupidity. Looking forward to some big bike rides with you and Sheila this summer.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #180
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

It's looking like beach weather for tomorrow with a balmy 23 degrees in the forecast!

Will spring ever arrive?