ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #18886
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rglee View Post
Has anyone used, or know someone that has, the TUbliss device for dirt bike tires/wheels??? The website, http://tubliss.com/ , states, "TUbliss® is, essentially, a high pressure rim lock and seal that secures the entire tire bead to the rim, completely eliminating the use of a conventional tube. TUbliss® allows you to run a low tire pressure (as low as 10 psi) which dramatically improves traction; especially important for enduro and baja racing. Since there's no conventional tube, the days of pinched tubes and flats are over! Even if you get a tire puncture, the bead stays seated to the rim."

Kinda sounds too good to be true. Appreciate any info... thanks.
I tried them once on the front, it was just before a Hatfield trip and the inner high pressure tube ruptured at the valve stem as I was inflating it. This gave me little confidence in the system just before an annual bike trip to WV, I didn't want to risk being aggravated on the trip by a system I wasn't familiar with and had already not instilled me with confidence. So I went back to UHD tube and dual rim locks for that trip, and I never got around to trying the Tubliss system again. Some people really like it though, and have better luck than me.

As TW said, I used Tireballs for a while also. IMO, that's the best of the "gizmo" systems aside from mousse. In the end, they make it hard to change tires. It gets better with practice. So I just went back to ultra heavy duty tubes and dual opposing rim locks. It's easy, cheap, and knock on wood, I have never had a flat using them, and I routinely run low pressure for off-road, 10 psi not unusual. For some reason I got it in my head that I needed something flat-proof and tried all those gizmos, when in reality, the UHD system I had been using is pretty darn flat proof. I've changed my tires many times and found snakebite pinches in the UHD tubes indicating what might have been a pinch flat in a lesser tube. UHD's seem to survive those no problem, or at least I've never experienced a pinch flat (or other flat for that matter) in spite of plenty of evidence on the tubes during changes that pinches were happening.

If you really want good traction in the roots and rocky stuff, try a rear trials tire, UHD tubes, dual rim locks, and 6 psi. That's the stuff!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #18887
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
6psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
I tried them once on the front, it was just before a Hatfield trip and the inner high pressure tube ruptured at the valve stem as I was inflating it. This gave me little confidence in the system just before an annual bike trip to WV, I didn't want to risk being aggravated on the trip by a system I wasn't familiar with and had already not instilled me with confidence. So I went back to UHD tube and dual rim locks for that trip, and I never got around to trying the Tubliss system again. Some people really like it though, and have better luck than me.

As TW said, I used Tireballs for a while also. IMO, that's the best of the "gizmo" systems aside from mousse. In the end, they make it hard to change tires. It gets better with practice. So I just went back to ultra heavy duty tubes and dual opposing rim locks. It's easy, cheap, and knock on wood, I have never had a flat using them, and I routinely run low pressure for off-road, 10 psi not unusual. For some reason I got it in my head that I needed something flat-proof and tried all those gizmos, when in reality, the UHD system I had been using is pretty darn flat proof. I've changed my tires many times and found snakebite pinches in the UHD tubes indicating what might have been a pinch flat in a lesser tube. UHD's seem to survive those no problem, or at least I've never experienced a pinch flat (or other flat for that matter) in spite of plenty of evidence on the tubes during changes that pinches were happening.

If you really want good traction in the roots and rocky stuff, try a rear trials tire, UHD tubes, dual rim locks, and 6 psi. That's the stuff!
That's high pressure for TW
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #18888
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post
That's high pressure for TW
3.5 to 4 works good.

Visiting Sherco USA this week while I'm on the road. Yippie!
You need anything from RYP?

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #18889
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Ryp

Tell him merry Christmas
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #18890
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,778
Just met a guy in SP with a new to him plated Beta 525 RR looking for some offroad rides. Told him to check in here. Let's hope he pops in.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #18891
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Just met a guy in SP with a new to him plated Beta 525 RR looking for some offroad rides. Told him to check in here. Let's hope he pops in.

Beta 525 RR

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #18892
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Beta 525 RR
No kidding. I grabbed BabyDonkeys and took him downtown to run a few errands and to give MrsDonkeys an hour or two to relax. As I'm walking around, I see a Beta pass by.

I was convinced that it was something else that I was mistaking for a Beta. So I doubled back hoping he parked it somewhere close by. I tracked him down at the ice cream shop and confirmed my original sighting. You don't see many of those running around, especially on the street.

It's completely normal to chase down a motorcycle with a baby strapped to your chest, right?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #18893
ktmgrins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Riding this week

Taking some vacation this week, anyone riding Outback trails or similar?
ktmgrins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #18894
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post

It's completely normal to chase down a motorcycle with a baby strapped to your chest, right?

Sure it is, if you are a stalker

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #18895
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,202
Just a little info to pass along.

While looking to get our fire department UTV serviced I was told that Merdian has lost their dealer license with Kawasaki. So we took it to Lumberton. While there was told that they may be in trouble with Yamaha as well.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #18896
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmgrins View Post
Taking some vacation this week, anyone riding Outback trails or similar?
Maybe Sunday and Thursday or Friday after Christmas.
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #18897
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncTRAILBOSS View Post
After this race weekend I will be game for some new/old scenery... The TT500 ain't seen no real action in a while...

This Double-Header Race and RIDE Academy is turning into and EVENT! Hope some of ya'll can make it.
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #18898
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Eastern NC Dinner thread is stirring. Looks like we're doing a movie in January.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249043

Old 12-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #18899
Alanjdoc
In it for FUN

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncTRAILBOSS View Post
I need to get down there and play in the dirt! Fridays my last day of work till January 6
Alanjdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #18900
IT 400
Junk Collector

Oddometer: 1,576
VIU Check-ride...

On my way to Tar Heel to pick up the TT500 and service it. I want at least one of us to be "fresh" for our VIU Check-ride Thursday. We've been out of the woods so long I have been informed that I need to be re-certified

See all ya'll "losers" Thursday at 1100!!! Till then enjoy your Christmas
IT 400 is offline   Reply With Quote