Little bikes rock!

I'll be following this.......

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Just what I, maybe we, needed during the winter season. A great warm ride report. Love the humor...AARP Gone Wild...to funny!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,317
Hope I'm still able to ride at 77. Subscribed!!!
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,748
All my favorite motorcycles!!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Thumb

You guys sure a lot of stuff on small bikes, looking forward to how this works out.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
[QUOTE=klaviator;22993214]Old folks on little bikes............sounds great to me. I think I'll follow along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Those are my heroes for sure!

BSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Nice pics . . . nice writing . . . nice adventure . . . and nice bikes!

Most importantly, looks like a nice group of riding partners! Looking forward to it.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #25
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,115
Perfect time to follow a Baja trip vicariously. Looking forward to it.
WetSideRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,697
wooo! you're off to a great start!

Well, I don't know about being "baja experts," but matt and I were happy to give you a few suggestions.
I'm so glad you guys enjoyed Rancho Ojai. You saw a lot more of it than I did.
I didn't know they had so many animals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048

keep those pics coming!

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Old folks on little bikes............sounds great to me. I think I'll follow along.

Love the title for this RR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton View Post
i'm in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery21 View Post
On the edge of my seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I'll be following this.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Just what I, maybe we, needed during the winter season. A great warm ride report. Love the humor...AARP Gone Wild...to funny!

Nice to have all of you along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Barry is an amazing man for sure. He gets annoyed when I gush over him but I'm going to sneak some gushing in here becase he is a fantastic man. I met him close to 15 years go and at the time I was waiting for him to get old so I could keep up with him. It's not happening and I still can't keep up with him and I'm getting older.

One of the many impressive things he has done was at 68 he took his bicycle by train to Olympia, WA (I think that's where he got off the train) and rode it down the coast to just N. of Los Angeles. Basically going the legnth of the United States by bicycle and just cutting out the super congested areas of Seattle and LA.

My hope for everyone is to still be able to do the things that Barry does at 77 because he can run circle around men half his age. Oh yeah, I keep waiting for him to lose some of his mental sharpness too so I can get one over on him once in a while but that isn't happening either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
All my favorite motorcycles!!

Hi Rob, nice to see you hanging out with me here.

[QUOTE=BSkye;22994380]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Old folks on little bikes............sounds great to me. I think I'll follow along.

Those are my heroes for sure!
Hi Barb, enjoy some of the warmth of Baja with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Nice pics . . . nice writing . . . nice adventure . . . and nice bikes!

Most importantly, looks like a nice group of riding partners! Looking forward to it.
Thank you, terrific compliment and yes the group of riding partners are pretty darned awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post
Perfect time to follow a Baja trip vicariously. Looking forward to it.
Winter months is a good time for sure to follow a warm Baja report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
wooo! you're off to a great start!

Well, I don't know about being "baja experts," but matt and I were happy to give you a few suggestions.
I'm so glad you guys enjoyed Rancho Ojai. You saw a lot more of it than I did.
I didn't know they had so many animals!

keep those pics coming!

Hi Kelly, I have tons of pictures and they will keep coming. I'm surprised you didn't find the critters at Rancho Ojai, you usually zero in on critters if there are any to be found. The mules let us know where they were with their hee hawing.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #28
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

It was either during breakfast or our fuel stop when we all looked at each other and realized all the young riders had bowed out of the ride and all that was left was the AARP crowd. The "Leave Ďem for Dead Tour ~ Baja Style" was changed to "AARP Gone Wild ~ Baja Style". Much more fitting.

Our first Pemex fill up and ADV parking at itís finest. While all of us, other than Lee, have owned and ridden Harleys we apparently didnít learn the Harley way of parking in an organized fashion.

Letís go shopping.

Bruce bought a bottle of tequila then was getting fresh with Becky and sheís giving him the thumbs up.

(Truth is; with her helmet on she couldnít see what he was doing and had no idea )

As you can see we werenít in a big hurry about anything. We were having fun at a relaxing pace and enjoying lots of laughs.

We were moving again and headed South out of town through the residential area.

Pretty fence and gate.

I donít know what the sign says. Maybe The Juanes Place?

Cool

Maybe a motorcycle mechanic, welder, or both.

Donít know why we stopped here but Iím sure it was something important. Whereís Bruce and Barry? Probably not stopping for whatever that important thing was.

Here kitty, kitty.

Be nice to the critters and donít leave your trash in their home.

Weíre headed into Parque Nacional Constitucion and Luguna Hanson.

Time to check tire pressure and let a little air out if need be.

Cheers
Bruce

Becky

Lee

Barry

And me

We werenít getting very far very fast but we were achieving our goal.

The ladies needed to visit the Mexican Rest Area so the men rode on ahead.

Hey Bruce, wait for Barry heís not on his bike yet

Ö..ah never mind Iím sure he wonít have any problem catching up.

Gotta tell you digging a cat hole out here in the sand is one heck of a lot easier than in the Pacific Northwestís Forests.
Watch where you squat.

Rest area visited and we were ready to go.

Letís see how long it is before we meet up with the guys again.

I wasnít seeing Lee and Becky in my rear view mirror for a while so I decided I better stop and wait. I donít ride fast so they must have stopped for something, maybe a cool picture I missed or something.

I like the way the road is lined with trees and foliage. The roads in the NW are often lined with trees and foliage but when that happens in the NW you donít see much other than that green stuff. Here the road is lined but you get to see all the other things too. I like the variety.

OK here comes Becky and Lee. I think it was a luggage check or malfunction. All was good.

There are some cool rocky mountains out there.

It was a little wash boardy but all in all not bad.

We found Barry stopped. He hadnít seen Bruce in a while and was concerned about where he was. Iíd spotted him out of the corner of my eye a ways back. Heíd stopped at a Mexican Rest Area. Here he comes.

All of us were back together again and Barry is mis-behaving. Lee, always keep an eye out for what Barry and Bruce are up to when you are taking pictures. If given a chance Bruce will do an ADV salute and Barry, well Barry is just a tad mischievous Ė always.

Looks like there is luxury camping and services out here.

And even fuel. We didnít go check it out but it might be worthwhile.

This one is better. Bruce is using all his fingers in his wave and even Barry is behaving himself.

Lets ride

Nice, this road was interesting.

Then around this corner

The road dipped down into a gully then climbed back outÖÖ..
Old 12-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
airheadbruce
Uncle Dumbshit

Oddometer: 476
Can you say "cliff hanger"? Or maybe "a crash course" in adv riding?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #30
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Sure wouldnít want to leave Bruce hanging on that cliff so Iíll finish the gully story.

All was going well then I saw a steep hill but it was paved and the only pavement we had seen since we left La Rumorosa. I knew I needed to give it a little more throttle to climb the hill and as I started to speed up I saw Bruce and Barry walk up to the crest of the hill. My first reaction was thinking something was up there and they didnít want us to come up so I started to stop and put my feet down. Just then they made it clear they wanted us to come up. I gave the bike some gas to climb the hill but I was in deep sand and instead of going straight up the hill the bike went out of control and rapidly to the right and into a rock.

Becky went on up the hill with no problem meanwhile Bruce and Barry came flying down the hill to help me. For two old farts those men sure move rapidly when they think someone is in trouble. Lee, got her bike parked and rapidly came over to check on me. Yes, I was OK - - - scared, embarrassed, frustrated but OK.

Hereís Barry, Bruce and Lee pulling my bike out of the ditch. I was behind that rock still trying to get myself out of there.

Barry took my bike and told me to walk up the hill and away went my bike with him on it and up the hill with no problem. I guess I was still a bit dazed since I didnít get a picture of him riding the Superbug up the hill.

Becky got pictures of Lee going up the hill. Lee didnít have any problems with the sandy spot.

Or with climbing the hill.

At the top of the hill

I think Barry was explaining all the ways I messed up.

My screw up gave others a chance to look around and check out the cool rocks.

I think this says no littering.

And near that sign an empty bottle of vitamins and an unopened condom. I guess the vitamins didnít work.

After we were up the hill Barry realized he hadnít gotten any pictures of my bike and the rock so he wanted me to go back down and pose with the rock. OK fineÖ..

Barryís lens seems to have a bit of dust on it.

It all looks innocent enough I shouldnít have had a problem.

Thereís half of the Superbugís reflector up on the rock. I took it with me, I didnít want to litter.

The Superbugís front fender sure has taken a beating and there were other new scratches on the bike as well.

With that little adventure done we were riding again.

A nice ranch out there.

This was a lot prettier than it came out in the picture. Apparently my camera lens was a little dusty too. That tree was bright gold and glimmered in the sunshine.

A corner of Laguna Hanson. It was getting late and we didn't have time to go explore.

Resort area

Just as I thought things were going well.

Lee got going ahead of me and Becky was behind me. I was having a hard time getting going in the sand and was duck walking when we saw Lee face down in the sand not moving. I motioned Becky to go on around me. Becky got to her and ask if she was OK she then lifted her head and was moving and Becky was lifting the bike off her. I snapped a quick picture but then when I asked if she was OK and she said she didnít know picture time was over.

Once the bike was up and so was Lee she confirmed she was OK. Barry and Bruce were ahead of us and had no idea of what was going on. She had moved over to the side to let a vehicle pass and when she tried to move back over the bike decided to take a nap instead.

The section of sand wasnít very long and we were back to fun riding.

And the views were quite nice.

We would be back on pavement soon.

The highway could be seen off in the distance if you looked real hard as you rode through here.

I donít know about the rest of the group but I was ready for a break and the highway was a welcome sight. I didnít get a picture and neither did anyone else but just before the highway there was a short section of deep silt. I didnít take any chances and duck walked it. I didnít want to hit the ground again.
Break time.

There sure is a variety of things to look at.

We were headed for Valle De La Trinidad.

I think we are dropping into Heroes De La Independencia here.

We managed to get to Valle De La Trinidad just about the time it was getting dark. Barry asked at the Pemex Station where we could find a motel and discovered there was one right around the corner. We got checked in and Bruce, Barry, Lee and I walked down the street for dinner. Becky wanted to stay in her room and fix her own dinner.

Dinner time

They arenít able to sell alcohol in the resturant but they said we could go across the street, buy beer and bring it in. So thatís what was done and Barry turned in to a two fisted drinkerÖÖ I never thought I would see that day. Those are either tiny bottles or he has big hands.

Dinner was great but the coffee not so much. If there is a jar of Nescafe on the table don't order coffee. I made that mistake a few times.

There was a man at the restaurant that was very nice and helpful. He was translating so we could communicate with the cook/waiter. A bracket on Leeís side rack had broken and a welder for the next day would be very helpful. Lee and Barry were talking to the man and asked him if there was a welder in town. He gave them directions then said he would be at the restaurant in the morning and he would be happy to go to the welder with them to translate. He specified he didnít want any money for this he wanted to do this for a friend. Very, very nice.

We walked back to the motel and it was time for a surprise for Barry. It was his birthday and that morning he was trying to get us to wish him a happy birthday with a "happy birthday to you" sing alone. We chuckled at him and basically ignored his birthday. He was spoiling our plan with bringing it up, we had other plans for him.

Barry, Lee, Bruce and I were in the guy's room after dinner. I needed to leave to go get Becky and his surprises. I told them I was going to go get my map. Before I left Spokane I bought a box of Zingers for Barryís birthday "cake" and they had been hanging out in my tail bag. At the Spokane Airport Becky bought a t-shirt that was perfect for Barry and now it was time for his birthday party. It was his 77th birthday so I turned three zingers into a 77 and put candles in them. I didn't have a plate but the box of Zingers worked great for a cake plate.

Incredibly bad pictures but itís the best I have. Barry was surprised when he was presented with his birthday cake and we sang happy birthday to him.

The writing on his new t-shirt said: "To save time letís just assume Iím never wrong". Oh yes, so Barry.

I really wish I would have gotten better pictures of the birthday fun but since I didnít Iíll just have to keep it in my memory.

Lee hanging out enjoying the entertainment.

Iíll be back tomorrow and start day 3.