ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
ospreyguy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Inmate advise (laid bike down)

So there I was getting ready to go on a fun day ride. As I was pulling off the highway and on to the dirt, what do I see in front of me? A hunter pulled his jeep out right in front of me. I tried to get her stopped but unfortunately it came down to smashing into him broad side or laying it over. I chose the later and due to wearing some nice riding gear, I waled away with only a few cuts and bruises. Now that you have the back story I have a few damaged parts to replace. The obvious I can handle, but what I am having trouble narrowing down is what bars and risers to get. The first problem is I am not a great mechanic by any means, but I can swap parts with out issue. Secondly I cannot diagnose problems for the life of me. That being said I noticed when riding home that pointing the bars straight didn't make the bike go straight. I believe the bars are a little bent and I think the risers might be a little bent also. I took everything apart and checked the forks, triple tree and so on. The only thing I can think of is bars and risers. After I reassembled it, a lot of the mis alignment was gone but still it could be improved. Could you guys recommend some bars and risers for me? I want more of a dirt bike feel that will be more comfortable standing up and i little more rise that the stock one offers. I plan to replace the bars and risers and then go from there if that doesn't fix the issue. Thanks so much for the help, sorry for the never ending story as well.

BTW; the bike is a 2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja

Cheers
-Andy
ospreyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyguy View Post
So there I was getting ready to go on a fun day ride. As I was pulling off the highway and on to the dirt, what do I see in front of me? A hunter pulled his jeep out right in front of me. I tried to get her stopped but unfortunately it came down to smashing into him broad side or laying it over. I chose the later and due to wearing some nice riding gear, I waled away with only a few cuts and bruises. Now that you have the back story I have a few damaged parts to replace. The obvious I can handle, but what I am having trouble narrowing down is what bars and risers to get. The first problem is I am not a great mechanic by any means, but I can swap parts with out issue. Secondly I cannot diagnose problems for the life of me. That being said I noticed when riding home that pointing the bars straight didn't make the bike go straight. I believe the bars are a little bent and I think the risers might be a little bent also. I took everything apart and checked the forks, triple tree and so on. The only thing I can think of is bars and risers. After I reassembled it, a lot of the mis alignment was gone but still it could be improved. Could you guys recommend some bars and risers for me? I want more of a dirt bike feel that will be more comfortable standing up and i little more rise that the stock one offers. I plan to replace the bars and risers and then go from there if that doesn't fix the issue. Thanks so much for the help, sorry for the never ending story as well.

BTW; the bike is a 2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja

Cheers
-Andy
3-2-1........sorry bout your crash, I hope someone can help. "Welcome" to the OC.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 817
twisted

Get front wheel off ground ( center stand ) loosen bolts on triple clamps,bars and risers. Stand in front of bike hold front wheel with knees, grab bars and twist. Hop on bike to check alinement, if good, snug everything back up. Repeat till straight. Happens all the time on dirt bikes.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,357
spinning the front tire and grabbing the front brake works as well. pulls everything back straight. i seriously doubt you did enough damage to cause the bars to be replaced.

loose the axle clamps on the front tire, and the top triple bolts. lift the front tire and spin it, the hit the front brake hard. do this several times. then tighten back up the top bolts and loosen the bottom triple, repeat, then tighten everything back up. should be straight.

good luck,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
Get front wheel off ground ( center stand ) loosen bolts on triple clamps,bars and risers. Stand in front of bike hold front wheel with knees, grab bars and twist. Hop on bike to check alinement, if good, snug everything back up. Repeat till straight. Happens all the time on dirt bikes.
I'd go a step further. Remove the front wheel, then loosen the pinch bolts on the triple camps (get someone to give you an extra hand to support the forks to keep them from sliding down). Then tighten them back up, put the front wheel back on, but leave the axle pinch bolts loose. Put the bike back on the ground and bounced the travel a little to get everything aligned and then tighten the pinch bolts. Cheap insurance to check this even though I don't believe you tweaked the forks from low siding the bike.

To check the handle bars, just lay them on a flat surface and look for any spot that isn't mirror uniform touching the surface as it should be, like tilt or something.

If the risers bolt into the top triple clamp rather than being an integral part of them, take the top trip clamp off the bike. Loose the bolts on the bar clamps, mount the bars in them, then tighten them back down to align them. You might consider removing the risers completely and inspecting for a bent bolt stud.

Honestly, I'm betting you either bent the bars or tweaked the bar risers.

ben
armourbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,693
Or you can pull up to a tree and bang it either way.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
ospreyguy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
Hell yeah man! Thanks for the help. I'll give this a whirl and see what happens
Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,016
The bolts in the rubber mounts on the triples easily get tweaked and make things look bent. There just as easy to fix: Bars at full lock and a well placed boot sole should do the trick.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
spinning the front tire and grabbing the front brake works as well. pulls everything back straight. i seriously doubt you did enough damage to cause the bars to be replaced.

loose the axle clamps on the front tire, and the top triple bolts. lift the front tire and spin it, the hit the front brake hard. do this several times. then tighten back up the top bolts and loosen the bottom triple, repeat, then tighten everything back up. should be straight.

good luck,

laramie
Straightening a slightly skewed alignment is on my winter list. Couldn't figure out how best to do it so huge thanks for this advice.

M.

To OP - sorry for your incident. I too am a master of swapping things or replacing and consider myself far from being a good wrench. Small steps though and I've managed to keep the bike in good working order for 3 years....onwards!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroddis View Post
Straightening a slightly skewed alignment is on my winter list. Couldn't figure out how best to do it so huge thanks for this advice.

M.

To OP - sorry for your incident. I too am a master of swapping things or replacing and consider myself far from being a good wrench. Small steps though and I've managed to keep the bike in good working order for 3 years....onwards!
I forgot to add - I have ROX riders and renthal KTM bars on my 950. Even a novice like me finds it more comfortable standing on the forest service roads. I'm 6'2".