ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #676
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Smoky porter sounds fabbo.

I thought I might break out the 'quipment over Chrimbo, maybe get a barley wine going.
Totes, ma goats!

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #677
GSAnderson OP
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,540
I'm doing a all-grain class at Northern Brewer Saturday. They offer a nice discount on all-grain equipment if you take the class, so I'll probably pick up a new brew pot.
GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #678
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,143
Good people to deal with. What will be your first brew?
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #679
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

Oddometer: 11,890
And when can we come and drink it?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #680
GSAnderson OP
Wandering Swede

It will be a while. Lots of stuff to buy.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #681
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

Buying stuff is fun.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #682
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAnderson View Post
It will be a while. Lots of stuff to buy.
Get a 15gal MegaPot 1.2

After brewing with the Blichmann stuff a whole one time...I sorta wish I would've went with the new 1.2 stuff. Could've gotten bigger pots for less monies. That 15gal pot will let you do 5 - 10 gal batches, and will be EASY to sell if you get bored with it.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #683
dajuice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I've been meaning to jump on this thread for quite a while. I jumped into AG a few months ago... Went with an Update International 15 gallon for my eventual jump to 10 gallon batches. Been very happy with it. Had to buy the valve and thermometer kits but I had the tool to drill the holes so I saved a few bucks. One thing I noticed going to the bigger pot is my evap rates went way up from my 8 gallon pot I was using for extract due to the extra surface area I'm assuming. My 1st AG batch only put 4 gallons in the keg

I've been struggling getting my efficiency up and was getting high pH's on my runnings (Batch Sparge)... Down around 60% efficiency and a pH on the 1st running of 5.8 no matter what I do. I was using spring water from a local artesian well for the 1st couple batches, then tried tap water and the last batch I tried RO water that I remineralized to the target water profile of the style I was brewing. I don't know exactly what the RO water had left in it but the conductivity was at 7 uS so I was assuming any minerals left in there were negligible since the tap water going in is in the 200 uS range.

I'm now thinking that my crush is too course and I'm just not getting the sugars out. I've been getting my stuff from Midwest since it is only a few miles from where I work and they have a mark on their mill for the "right" setting. I'm going to find out what it is actually set to and tighten it up a bit and see what happens for my next batch. Any other ideas based on what I said? I know I could just add a few pounds of grain, but that is boring... I wanna figure this out. If the crush doesn't change things, I'm going to send a few water samples in for analysis as maybe the RO isn't as pure as I thought.

I'm confident my cond and pH measurements are correct as I'm using a Myron/L 6P to measure them and it is calibrated.

dajuice screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 06:07 PM
dajuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #684
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,143
Wow, dajuice! I'm certainly no help to you. You have a much more scientific approach to this than I have ever taken. I very much brew caveman style. As long as I don't get attacked by wild yeast beasts, contamination, or neighboring tribes, I'm happy.

Paging fifthcircle to the Central ADV homebrewers thread. I've had more than homebrew tonight.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #685
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Go ahead and "crush until you're scared." I believe that the only downside to afinger crush its the risk of a stuck mash. You may want to check the calibration of your thermometers too. Mash temps can impact efficiency too.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #686
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

How does your beer taste?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, zoid! I'm not that into water chemistry (yet?). Why not? Well, when I first started brewing, and researching how to brew, I talked with the local homebrew shop owner, and he said, "Do you want to brew perfect clone beer, or do you want to brew YOUR beer?" At that time, I was just wanting to brew MY beer. He made a good point, in having that "X" factor. The most famous beers in history weren't originally monitored for Mash PH etc. So my approach thus far has been, tap water, heat, rock 'n' roll!!!

As for the efficiency. I batch sparged ONCE. Never again. LOW LOW LOW efficiency. Fly sparge one time, and see how it goes. You don't need a fancy sparge arm dohicky. Just take a piece of tinfoil and poke a bunch of holes in it. Lay it on top of the mash, and pour (or run a hose of) your sparge water onto the top of it.

You could also increase your mash time a little, and see if that helps...but I doubt it.

Good luck, oh scientific one.

-5th

P.S. - With all that being said, I do want to start looking at my mash PH. My beer tastes good though, so I'm in no hurry.

BLOG
Old 12-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #687
Apocalypse Cow
SHEEP LIE!!!!!

Oddometer: 378
I could just be talking out of my ass here, the wife says I do it alot, but with the step up to 10 gal batches is your water temp suffering? In other words with the larger pot and more grain are they reducung the over all mash temp, sucking more of the heat out and not allowing the mash temp to stay at the temp you think it is?

Not sure if that made sense....

AC

"I've set the bar high because I'm tired ducking."
Apocalypse Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #688
GSAnderson OP
Wandering Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Get a 15gal MegaPot 1.2
Thats the plan. Welcome dajuice
Old 12-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #689
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

Man, I'm not sure I can be bothered to take up brewing again in the shadow of all this uber brewing. I think I might just retire gracefully and drink the brews of others.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #690
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse Cow View Post
I could just be talking out of my ass here, the wife says I do it alot, but with the step up to 10 gal batches is your water temp suffering? In other words with the larger pot and more grain are they reducung the over all mash temp, sucking more of the heat out and not allowing the mash temp to stay at the temp you think it is?

Not sure if that made sense....

AC

You asking me?

I have not done a 10gal batch yet, and I am now rocking a direct fire RIMS unit....

But, if you think about it, more mass will hold heat longer. I think the issue with heat loss will be your Mash Tun. if you have a big MLT that is great for 10gal batches, and do a 5gal batch in it, it will cool faster with all that head space.

Something zoid will need to keep in mind, when he sets up his new cooler MLT.

BLOG