Robby Gordon 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by larryboy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Rubbie has always waited until the last second and then puts his race cars on a plane for the race.
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    One good feature about his new "Gordini" SB is that he'll be able to take it as "carry on" baggage... :lol3:deal

[​IMG]
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Any Edjumicated guesstimations as to what platform/layout RG's new Dakar toy is going to be SB...?

So far I've herad everything from front engined rear end banjo, to mid engined rear wheel independent, to rear engined a-arm buggy style...

Even a winged thing airbrake come downforce spoiler on the rear bodywork... but so far nothing more than a few "leak photos" from planet.RG and a lot of speculation over at RDC.

Any word from baja Bob?
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Here's the latest :deal

[​IMG]
  5. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I haven't talked to Baja Bob (Rubbie's dad) since the last NORRA 1000. The guys at RGM are really good at keeping tight lips (esp. if they want to keep their jobs and get to go to Dakar). I don't know anyone there anymore anyway. All that being said, everything I've seen seems to lean towards a SST bastard. However I do know that he has some of the first of the new generation Albins tansaxles, which means he could do a mid-engine if he wanted.

Rubs is really good at the hype/marketing game isn't he? He gets more attention by not telling anyone than if he did!
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ This

^^^^ Combined with this makes my ears prick up... :ear:evil
  7. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
  8. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Front of the rear axle, front of the driver, front of the front axle? Regardless, I'm thinking Front of the Minis is what the objective is....

The thing must have been tested someplace, I can't believe Dakar is the "Tuning Session" for a three year world domination plan....
  9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you spend enough time at planet robby you learn that the photos of the rig with hst camo on it, photos on the trailet showing the front, are some kind of test mule not the real deal. I'm calling mid engine rear wheel drive but we'll find out soon enough.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  10. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    This configuration does have some advantages if you considering a 2WD T1 style vehicle for a DAKAR application (quick on both gravel, off piste terrain and in dunes) compromise. :evil

I'm thinking kinda slightly shorter wheel base 2WD Tuareg or along the lines of the later mid 90's space frame T3 Mitsu Proto in a 2WD configuration... but with no limitation on wheel travel... think US A-arm/coilover bypass on all corners... :wink:

After a (longer than he probably would have thought) apprenticeship on Dakar... if he has tested this thing thoroughly (and the paint is not still wet - as this "leaks" promo gig may well be a charade to lure people int thinking)... then 2014 could be the year RG surprizes the establishment.

If not, there is always the "we were leading by 15 minutes if you take away the three hours downtime..." line, and he will turn up in 2015 with a fully assoeted "WD superoffroad Dakar winner. (But by then, so will X-Raid, Pugeot and/or Citroƶen, SMG and EVR possibly?).

2014 can be the "RG strikes while the others are still napping year"... unless the MINI's have hitched up their skirts and have a surprise up their fishnet stockings? :evil
  11. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as long as its not mid pack
  12. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    The best damn thing to happen to Dakar would be for RG to win it this year.

It is setting the fox amongst the chickens in getting the competition cranked up instead of it always being the the mini's and the 'others who showed up, plus GdV'.

I'd like to see GdV win against this bunch, but if Robby was to nail the mini's to the wall, that'd really piss off that hornet's nest. That'd be better for the sport.

I think that financially, it'd draw more sponsors, especially from the NA market.

Again, better for the sport.

I still would rather GdV win it, fucker has worked hard for it.
  13. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:

exactly
    front of the exhaust ?
    :D
  14. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    as strange as it may seem I cannot quote TSC... some kind of mod magic perhaps?

The thing with this guy (RG) is that there are always a whole bunch of "ifs" with him.
    if he has his ifs sorted there will be no ifs but only if his ifs are better then the ifs of others if and only if
  15. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:

and he seems like a real nice guy too
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Why yes... but ast 2013 is almost past, and the RG fever was building for 2014... I added that to the title, so that the momentum YOUR thread had from this past year was maintained... :dunno

and so with that, leave the reigns back over to larry who has joined us here again. :wave

It would appear that it is the preference of the OP that this thread is reserved soley for 2013 Robby Gordon fan related news - specifically.
  17. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    So insider info reveals that it has solid axle and it is basically a SST. Pics I saw of the side view show that it looks a lot like the new little Land Rover "Evoque" with a Hummer like grill. It looks bad ass actually. The crew is going to love the solid axle, not having to rebuild CVs every night will be more than welcome.
  18. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

Land Rover!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like I said two weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Not quite LandRover. I'm sure he would've used LR tail lights if that were the case.

[​IMG]
  20. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:

So a SST with a mill from previous Dakars that they know will last given that the SST stuff was basically a Sprint?

Though not visible in the shot I'm assuming CTIS with an internal routing (too lazy to read rule books)?

Here's to Robbie not getting too emmotional, keeping his head screwed on, and racing a good race instead! :freaky I'm ready for the SHOW!!! And of course the"Murican Music"!