Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
I am going to download Google Earth to get the GE view, does the free version work as good as the pro edition for use in basecamp? Any advantage with the pro using it through basecamp?
I don't know about Pro, but I have been using the free GE and BaseCamp together for a year or more to good effect. Sometimes I create a track on GE, save it as *.kml or *.kmz, then import it into BC, tweak it, and put it in one or another list.

Or, I take the track I created in BC, use "View in Google Earth", and check to see whether the track seems to correspond to an actual visible 4x4 road.

I have found many instances where the roads and trails shown on various Topos from which I created them do NOT appear on GE! If that is the case, I assume that I'm going to get into a real adventure if I try to ride what I created! Not really interested in doing that anymore at my age.

Many times, however, I am able to see in GE that I need to modify the track or route slightly to make life easier and for that it is worth it's weight in gold!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #17
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
that works too.
it needs to be downloaded & installed if not so:
http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
Express replaced Garmin's older update program that i'm spacing the name now. Some people have said they go back and forth between the 2 as updates can be finicky on one or the other. Any way that is what Garmin wants everyone to be using these days. Garmin sure confuses people for sure. Like McNut i have a Nuvi 550 that i bought on deal in 2011 and updated to the latest CN at the time. I have since come up with the latest CN .img file and use Basecamp to access and create routes. It works with a USB 2.0 on the Nuvi. Not possible with a 60csx and USB 1.1. That's just painfull to load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I would try this:

Run the Garmin Express update again without your GPS connected. Select Advanced Options.

use the dropdown menu to select "Computer" since that is what didn't happen the first time. Next calendar quarter or whenever the next map update comes out, have your GPS connected and select "Device & Computer" as shown below so it will do both places.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 01:39 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
Quote:
I am going to download Google Earth to get the GE view, does the free version work as good as the pro edition for use in basecamp? Any advantage with the pro using it through basecamp?
Pro is for GIS work & other advanced features. I'm guessing you're not in GIS line of work if you're a new GPS user. The free version is what everyone uses. I use mine all the time to verify and create rides.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
I don't know about Pro, but I have been using the free GE and BaseCamp together for a year or more to good effect. Sometimes I create a track on GE, save it as *.kml or *.kmz, then import it into BC, tweak it, and put it in one or another list.

Or, I take the track I created in BC, use "View in Google Earth", and check to see whether the track seems to correspond to an actual visible 4x4 road.

I have found many instances where the roads and trails shown on various Topos from which I created them do NOT appear on GE! If that is the case, I assume that I'm going to get into a real adventure if I try to ride what I created! Not really interested in doing that anymore at my age.

Many times, however, I am able to see in GE that I need to modify the track or route slightly to make life easier and for that it is worth it's weight in gold!
+1. This is exactly what I do in planning rides.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
Cattledog1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I'm glad I found this thread. My question about Base Camp is how come it looks really hoaky, cartoonish and not very detailed when it comes to routes and road either? Jagged straight lines were there would be curves on a Google map. Anyone know??
Cattledog1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,120
The GPS unit doesn't need to be connected to the computer when working with BaseCamp and City Nav on the computer, if you have both programs on your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp is free
basecamp works by accessing the maps directly loaded on your unit (attached to computer w/ usb). the older map source needed those maps loaded on your computer as well as on your gps to work with them (create routes etc.)

download & install basecamp. plug in your gps and it will find your maps.
takes a bit of time the 1st time loading.

byways screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 09:33 AM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I got the GPX file transferred to basecamp into My Collection. I named the file in New List HOW. In basecamp on the pc I can see all the waypoints, tracks etc along the HOW route. I just exported the HOW file to my gps, but I can't see the route on the map like on the pc. If, on the gps, I choose a waypoint from the file, it takes me there, but I'm confused as to how can I see the route on the gps like on the pc.

Thanks for any input.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #23
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
I got the GPX file transferred to basecamp into My Collection. I named the file in New List HOW. In basecamp on the pc I can see all the waypoints, tracks etc along the HOW route. I just exported the HOW file to my gps, but I can't see the route on the map like on the pc. If, on the gps, I choose a waypoint from the file, it takes me there, but I'm confused as to how can I see the route on the gps like on the pc.

Thanks for any input.
You keep mixing the term "Route" and "Track". They are not the same thing. Do you have a Route or a Track in your HOW file?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry about the confusion. The vernacular, it's all new and I am slowly getting it. I have tracks. I went into the gps track manager and selected one of the tracks and it gave me the option of showing it on the map and I selected that and it does show on the gps. Do I have to select each and then choose "show on map"?

My gps is a Montana 650.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #25
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry about the confusion. The vernacular, it's all new and I am slowly getting it. I have tracks. I went into the gps track manager and selected one of the tracks and it gave me the option of showing it on the map and I selected that and it does show on the gps. Do I have to select each and then choose "show on map"?

My gps is a Montana 650.
Yes. There is no multi-select feature on the Montana.

By the way, glad you are recognizing the "vernacular". It will reduce your frustration as well as that of those trying to help out.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #26
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I would also recommend that you use the Montana Wiki to help get you up to speed on it's capabilities.

There is also a very well attended Montana thread in the general area...not suggesting you need to read the entire thread but that is a better place to get answers to your questions once you've read over the Wiki.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
TxTiger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Dan