ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
KOLAV OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
ABS Problem. Please help.

I have a 2006 990 Adv. The ABS light lit up this afternoon and the ABS is totally disabled. I also noticed that the speedo register "0" while driving. Now for the strange part, when I apply clutch for the bike to freewheel and the revs drop below 2000rpm, the light goes of and ABS is working again, no matter what the speed. As soon as I rev the engine and the revs go over 2000rpm, ABS light lit up again. Please help, I need the ABS. I live in Hong Kong and there is almost 8000000 very bad drivers here that is not at all friendly to bikers. Me no Chinese, me Gweilo.
KOLAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Since it seems your ABS failure depends on the revolutions (and vibrations?), the first thing I would look for would be a loose connection, it's easy and free. Check the plug to the button/light under the dash, and front sensor.
From what I've learned here, usually the front sensor or the button goes bad, but yours looks like has the same problem mine had:

I had an ABS failure too (no ABS, no Odo), my mechanic checked absolutely everything. Button and sensor were OK, and the failure was intermittent, sometimes everything worked fine, then no ABS no ODO, then everything went back to normal... it ended up being a dying regulator/rectifier.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
KOLAV OP
Adventurer

Thanks Goti, will have a look at that tomorrow morning first thing.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Renierd
Renierd

Oddometer: 39
Check your regulator as well, had the same issue with m 990 when I bough it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Renierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
KOLAV OP
Adventurer

Thanks Renierd. How do I check the regulator, step by step please. I am a fitter and turner and hate auto electrical stuff. I hate it to look and try to find a problem. Very impatient. I can repair things that is visibly broken and worn.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,975
It is most likely a loose connection to your front ABS sensor or the cable has been damaged.

To check the regulator connect a multimeter at the battery terminals while the bike is running. You should see it stabilize at approx 14.3VDC. If it is signficantly higher or lower then it would indicate a failing regulator.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
KOLAV OP
Adventurer

Thanks Renierd and Goti. Found the problem. It is the rectifier/regulator. When I test it with multimeter, everything looks fine, but when I start the bike and let it idle, it suddenly surges up to 18 volt charging. Only problem now is to order one. KTM Hong Kong reply is. Solly no stoh, way momen. Delive in 2 weehs, solly.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
KOLAV OP
Adventurer

Sorry Sonoran, didnt see your post. Thank you for the advice. I asked Mr Google for help and he is a very nice and helpful chap. Thank you all for your valuable advice.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,975
Hey no worries, glad you found the problem.

And I learned a new word: Gweilo.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
KOLAV OP
Adventurer

Yes, Gweilo means white ghost in Cantonese.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #11
extremusski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Abs error

Hello.
I have the same problem here.
Checked every single cable, connection, also changed ABS unit after i put the computer on the motorcycle. I have payed a lot off money on it but It works until its worm a little and after that light come up.
Today i'he checked the regulator at the KTM dealer and its good. The maxim voltage its 13.60 mV. The battery its charged.
The computer says its an error but dealer dont know what it is.
This is the error:
"[5031] 20529 unknown error
Static error
Error would cause a warning lamp to light up"
Can anybody help me? Any ideea?
TY.
extremusski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Glad you found the problem Kolav

Extremusski, if you changed the ABS unit and you are sure front sensor and button are fine (how do you check that?) I would still think the regulator/rectifier could be the problem.
When we were running out of ideas on my 990 I realized that everytime the ABS/ODO failure appeared, my HID lights failed too. So we went back to the R/R -at that point we were sure that the regulator was the problem-, KTM dealer checked several times but everything was normal, no peaks, just a steady voltage.
Same as yours, my ABS worked fine for a few minutes with the bike a bit cold but as soon as it warmed up the issue came back again.

KTM mechanics and my personal mechanic had a few talks, and one of them insisted it was the regulator, he offered to try a new one (I will never know if I had to pay for it ) and the problem was solved.
So, it would be great if you have the chance of trying another regulator...

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
KOLAV OP
Adventurer

Thank you all you kind helpful people. Found a 2nd hand rectifier on Ebay. Installed it this afternoon and bike is as good as new. I tried to find a new one from KTM but no one had stock and if they do have stock, they dont deliver in HK.