ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #63271
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,063
V-Dub

Thanks for the tips guys... I am shopping for a 5 door stickshift something to replace my PT Snoozer. Not necessarily looking for a MPG king or econobox just something good and functional and perhaps a bit of fun. Maybe a Maxda3 then?
I just like the boxy shape of the B4 VW and wondered if the hype of the TDi holds up to scrutiny.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #63272
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Thanks for the tips guys... I am shopping for a 5 door stickshift something to replace my PT Snoozer. Not necessarily looking for a MPG king or econobox just something good and functional and perhaps a bit of fun. Maybe a Maxda3 then?
I just like the boxy shape of the B4 VW and wondered if the hype of the TDi holds up to scrutiny.
If I were looking for that car, it'd be a Subaru.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #63273
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
If I were looking for that car, it'd be a Subaru.
I have owned 8 Subaru's and they are quite good cars. However, we bought a brand new but older model non-turbo Forester this year for Kim, my better half, to drive and it is burning oil. It burns a quart of oil every 2,500 miles and after doing some research this seems to be a common problem with some newer Subaru models. We take ours in this week for an oil consumption analysis but we are being told that burning a quart in 1,000 is within spec. Not even my old junkers ever burned that much. I guess 7,500 mile oil change intervals make sense when you have to add 3 quarts in that time.

Great car other than that though.
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #63274
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,129
Suby's are good. Id have bought one, but I wanted more room and a higher sitting vehicle as far as ground clearance and tire size.

What are you after exactly chip? Just a commuter? One that can haul groceries and trips? Haul ass? the stick is going to kill a TON of options out there. Suby has a stick on their smaller 4 only in the forester. The legacy also is this way. The larger outback followed suit too. None of their H6's had a manual unless you go back in years.

Check out an older WRX. We used to run the hell out of them on auto cross tracks. Not a horsepower king, but plenty fun still and they fit your criteria. Legacy is close too. The civics fit in there too, the SI is sporty enough for a compact. Acura has a few models also.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #63275
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,105
I have an outback with 230,000 miles and can vouch for the reliability (at least of the pre-97 engines).

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #63276
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 282
Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
I have an outback with 230,000 miles and can vouch for the reliability (at least of the pre-97 engines).

I am on my second Subaru and they are bulletproof. My 2011 Outback 4 cy, with 6 spedd manual was a hard car to find. But it has ground clearance , AWD, 33 mpg on the highway and heated seats on cold mornings.
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #63277
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Ive still got Carols old Subaru; I now mostly use it as a loaner car, give it to the girls or to neighbors when they have a car down, even the girls haven't been able to fuck it up.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #63278
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,496
I've been wanting to trade my tdi off for a Subaru for about a year now. Maybe this summer I'll clean it up good and throw it on Craigslist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #63279
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,608
Is this legal on the horse trails ?

My new 2 stroke woods bike.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE3fmFTtP9g
Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #63280
Screzzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
IIRC, someone on here bought a brand new WRX a few years ago. The new models were coming out and the dealer wanted it gone. They practically stole it. Not sure, but I think it was Meef.

I drive an 06 Ford Escape, 4-cly, manual. It's been super reliable. Not sporty but practical, efficient, and fun enough. Lack of 4wd makes it tricky this time of year, though.
Screzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #63281
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Suby's are good. Id have bought one, but I wanted more room and a higher sitting vehicle as far as ground clearance and tire size.

What are you after exactly chip? Just a commuter? One that can haul groceries and trips? Haul ass? the stick is going to kill a TON of options out there. ....

Check out an older WRX. We used to run the hell out of them on auto cross tracks. Not a horsepower king, but plenty fun still and they fit your criteria. Legacy is close too. The civics fit in there too, the SI is sporty enough for a compact. Acura has a few models also.
Yeah, the stick kills a lot of options, so does the fact that I don't like black, and I need head room and legroom.

I have heard as many bad stories about Subies as good ones but an Impreza or Outback is on my shortlist.

What am I looking for, one car that can do it all!:Norton I have been somewhat spoiled by my PT. Don't laugh! The stickshift turns a blah wagon into a fairly entertaining car that can haul a lot of crap. I haven't had my backseat in the thing since the 2nd week after I bought it. I have hauled my snow blower, my FIL's rototiller, bicycles, camping gear and moved half the boxes from my house when we moved. The large opening and convenient tie downs make it very handy. Hell, I bet I could fit a Grom in the back. However it is a piece of Chrysler crap, at 133K miles it is very worn out and not worth putting any more money into it.

Look, a motorcycle!

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #63282
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Yeah, a cool one that we never got over here.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #63283
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

News Flash

LEXINGTON, OHIO (December 17, 2013) – Mid-Ohio announced today a date swap for its two major 2014 motorcycle events.

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days has been moved from its original date to July 11-13. The AMA Pro Racing event, the Buckeye SuperBike Weekend presented by Dunlop Tire, remains as a two-day event and is now scheduled for July 19-20.

Due to a conflict with other motorcycle events, both locally and nationally, AMA and AMA Pro Racing looked to explore new dates and Mid-Ohio officials were open to the adjustment.

@ Scott, I like this 500 version...

http://i.imgur.com/34xgy29.jpg

Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #63284
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
That thing is killer. YPVS too.

I'm sure it would be loads of license destroying fun.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #63285
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
However it is a piece of Chrysler crap...
And its still a fucking neon...
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote