Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #121
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
55 years old. Retired from Uncle Sam's Canoe Club (USN) after 22 years 2 months 14 days ( but who's counting).

Currently a professor at a small liberal arts college in California. Best job I've ever had. Flexibility and fair pay.

BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #122
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Well I am 51 (nearly 52), I did 12 years in the Army almost all of it based Germany and Norway and did a lot of riding there, 20 years in the police, and road police bikes, now I am retired from the police as an officer and I work for them as an armourer fixing and maintaining firearms. Married since 84 with grown up kids.
I ride almost every day, in London, but get a couple of long trips in every year nothing major a 2000 or so.
I need to fully retire in the next 3 or 4 years or so and do some real riding, I have a trip in mind to India overland and then down to SE Asia, Vietnam/Malaya and see what happens, its nice when you have a wife that rides as well and between us we have 2 R1100GS, 1 ktm 990, 1 Harley FXR, 2 vans and 5 dogs.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #123
Decepticon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Interesting Post. My introduction:

31. Physics Engineer. Masters degree.

Teacher at two Universities, separated by at least 190 km. I have three different paved roads to do the journeys and at least two or three more unpaved roads to entertain myself in the way back.

I end class at 13:00 in one city and have to be at 18:00 in the other city. That itinerary is done 8 months a year. The rest of the time and my free days and afternoons I use to spend in the garage, in the roads or the swimming pool, or in bed, most of the times alone because I´m not married and don´t plan to be, currently looking for a woman who wants to share some time of her life. Volunteers?

My face and my Bike in the picture:

A lot of bad things have been said about me, all of them are true
Decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #124
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Thumb Cherish

your woman with that attitude towards what life is also meant to be.
Good luck to you both mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostRat View Post
After 24 years of working in the electricity supply industry in technical operations, safety compliance, human resource management and training management roles, chasing promotion opportunities where they appeared and generally working approx 90 hrs per week, I've just had a change.

My wife suggested that whilst providing everything that was needed for her and the kids, she felt that it was time for me to enjoy life more and that I should do two things, one get out of the current job, and two get a bike again (gotta love the woman for that alone).

So I negotiated a exit package from my previous employer, set up my own training consultancy business, and (after a 21 year hiatus from bikes) bought myself a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure S.

The beautiful thing about this arrangement is that every 3-4 weeks when I'm delivering training for some of my clients, I load up the ktm, travel to the training location, deliver the training and find the most interesting route home (and still be able to pay all the bills without working 90+ hrs a week).

So far I've had a 2000km adventure through Western Queensland (Australia) and a lazy 1500km trip along the Victorian East Coast (Australia).

Sometimes life can be very good!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #125
durtrider
adventure sow

Oddometer: 653
I'm an Auctioneer.

I've been an auctioneer for 25 years. I'm a broker in OK and KS and focus on commercial properties and residential portfolios. I also do a wholesale auto auction every week (used to do 5 a week) and I work on the Barrett-Jackson team in Scottsdale every January. I've had the good fortune to auction off some pretty big properties. I sold a large multi-property auction of Katrina houses in the Superdome a couple of weeks ago.

But I tell my mother I'm a piano player in a whorehouse.
durtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #126
LL surfer
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Little security, lot's of time off

I've been a commercial fisherman/ harvest diver for 30yrs. Mostly sea urchin diving in socal, but I've been spending 3-4 months a year in southeast Ak, the last 6 yrs. Motorcycling has been a recent obsession my wife and I have acquired[from 0 to 4 bikes in the garage in 2 yrs], but time off and adventures have always taken priority over work. I feel very fortunate to have found an occupation that works for me. I work extremely hard, when I work, but usually not more than 100 days a year. Currently we are "buckling down", which still included 6 days dirtbiking near Ridgecrest last week, and shooting for a South America trip in 3 yrs. My wife is an ER nurse, so we can make big trips when we choose to,[2 mos. surfing in Costa Rica 3 yrs. ago], and lots of shorter trips in between. The downside is the lack of security, environmental regulations, sea otters, market fluctuations, and injuries[no work, no pay], to name a few, but as many people found out in 2007, no job is really secure. I'd have a hard time recommending fishing, but I wouldn't trade it for a "real" job ever.
My heartfelt thanks to all the service members out there, and as for all you firefighters, the secret's out, all of my climbing/surfing/riding partners have been firefighters, the only people that come close to my time off.
LL surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #127
Jbone11 11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
35, married, one newborn daugther... Working for a large gas company as Facilities clerk. Formerlly a Foreign Service spouse.....ah the good ol' days!
Hoping to make motorcycles my living at some point...how exactly Im not yet sure....which is pretty much the only reason Im not already doing so
Settled down and bought a house after we left the foreigh service circuit, but hope to get back into the world once the wee one is a bit older. One good thing about having a base now is more room for more bikes
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #128
Wastedavid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
From Colombia

Hi, I'm mechanical engineer, working for an Oil and Gas Company called Welltec (high deviation wells mechanical services). I'm 30, and I spend a lot of my time working on the field, specially in the eastern and southern part of the country, that "scary" region famous years ago because of guerrilla and that... what a shame... but everything is ok right now, this is hot like hell (37 or 40 C). Usually working 21 days and 7 days off, almost all of then riding, not that long trips I've read here (if I could, I would do that all the time) but only riding to small towns in the mountains or little cities, specially with very good food and a lot of nature and beautifull landscapes.

This pic was taken in Raquira, Boyacá, one of my favorite destinations.
Wastedavid is offline   Reply With Quote