User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
kiw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
KTM 950 owners in CA

More specifically in/near Santa Barbara?
My friend and seller of my first ktm, just left the country to France, and left me to figure out by myself the joys of motorcycle maintenance !
I recently re-jetted the carbs, and changed the air filter to correct rich running and improve mpg, but talking with SW7 over the phone, it seems it's time for a valve check/adjustment, however, I have no experience whatsoever doing such thing, I barely got the carbs done...
So KTM twins owners in the area, shoot me a pm, lets share tips, tricks, and rides!

kiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,481
I am up north, but I can tell you, if you did the carbs, the valves will be a cinch. I did mine last spring and I just used the information on the HOW.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,412
Checking the valves is a piece of cake, adjusting them is a bit more involved. You can check them, no problem. Why not do that first, then if changes need to be made you can cross that bridge then?

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
kiw OP
Adventurer

Really?!
Well I will do the reading, and go from there.
What do you think about a class, is it worth it?
http://www.motoshopsf.com/valve.html
Old 12-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,475
I'll say this- if you have the brass to dig in to carbs, valves shouldn't be a problem at all. I've done my valves 3 times- twice with the help of fellow ADVers at local tech days, and once by myself. It's really a straight forward job. I think the only two 'special' tools you need are the crank locking bolt and a hex socket of the appropriate size to turn the crank. 12mm? 13mm? Something around there.
When you're ready to pull the cam bridges, I always make a note of which bolt goes where. No idea if it matters, but for some reason I want to put them back in the same bore. I'd also double, triple check where the timing marks are. I accidentally managed to put a cam back in, off one tooth. Ran funny, and I was not happy about having to take another few hours to pull it back apart to rotate the cam one tooth. Having said all that, it's really not that tough. There are plenty of folks here who will be able to offer assistance.
I'm way north of you, but PM if you've got questions.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
kiw OP
Adventurer

Thanks!
What about shims? Is there a kit out there to buy?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,475
I think there's a shim kit, but they're the same size as Harley V-Rod shims. Last time I bought shims, I think they were about $1 or $1.50 each at the Harley place. Here's a thread on it. I didn't do any price checking, but ProCycle has the Hot Cams 10mm kit which will fit. I can't remember where I bought my starter kit- on-line somewhere, then supplemented with V-Rod shims when I needed them.
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
It's all been mentioned before.. but use a STRONG magnet for lifting the buckets and shims out. Last time I did mine the magnet was not great and a shim dropped out as I was lifting the bucket across the head!

Close ALL holes with rag etc as soon as possible.

I use callipers and fine emery paper to grind down my shims, removing the numbers to avoid confusion later.

Well done on doing the SW7 filter mod. I just bought one. I think Rottweiler is doing a Doghouse for the 950 soon. I want one when he does.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 142
I just (as in still buttoning up and prepping report) finished my first valve adjustment on my 950.
1.get a 4 pack of blue shop towels
2. I picked up a magnet tool and grabber 2 pack from lowes for like $3 on holiday deal, picked out every bucket and shim first go.
3. Take photos. Lots
3.5. I used v rod shims, no concensus on a kit other than 400+ ktm factory.
4. I did like 4 other maintenance jobs while everything was open (cam chain tensioners, oil pres sensor, starter o-ring, cam chain bearing o-ring, clutch oil jet clean, plugs, possibly more) hey if I am there, why not.
5. Just get the giant 14?17? Mm hex from autozone to rotate the motor, easier

6. I am in so.Cal but not sb, maybe I can offer some of the tools on a "rental for shipping there and back", or pm me for questions, maybe I can help

I just have to balance my Carbs and set idle and I should be good (I hope, finding a leaky seal impossible to quick fix 300+ miles from home sucked) Pics coming soon in a new thread.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
I am located in camarillo, have done the valve check and adjustment on my 990. Will be doing the same on a buddies 950 in January, you could come down and watch or bring your bike and we could do both at the same time. You wrenching to learn with me there to help if needed. PM me if you are interested.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozirra View Post
I just (as in still buttoning up and prepping report) finished my first valve adjustment on my 950.
1.get a 4 pack of blue shop towels
2. I picked up a magnet tool and grabber 2 pack from lowes for like $3 on holiday deal, picked out every bucket and shim first go.
3. Take photos. Lots
3.5. I used v rod shims, no concensus on a kit other than 400+ ktm factory.
4. I did like 4 other maintenance jobs while everything was open (cam chain tensioners, oil pres sensor, starter o-ring, cam chain bearing o-ring, clutch oil jet clean, plugs, possibly more) hey if I am there, why not.
5. Just get the giant 14?17? Mm hex from autozone to rotate the motor, easier

6. I am in so.Cal but not sb, maybe I can offer some of the tools on a "rental for shipping there and back", or pm me for questions, maybe I can help

I just have to balance my Carbs and set idle and I should be good (I hope, finding a leaky seal impossible to quick fix 300+ miles from home sucked) Pics coming soon in a new thread.
Can't think why I didn't also do my oil pressure switch while I was there!

Very easy to balance carbs with one of these;
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 142
Agree. Had to order a new one as I am 10+ years removed from my last vw/porsche.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
kiw OP
Adventurer

ICERIDER, can you send me a link of a strong magnet that would do the job?
I suppose a magnetic pickup tool is not enough?
http://www.amazon.com/Telescopic-Mag.../dp/B000RB3XA6

Quote:
cam chain tensioners, oil pres sensor, starter o-ring, cam chain bearing o-ring, clutch oil jet clean, plugs,
Good idea! unfortunately for me it means more reading, more time on the bike and most likely more parts to buy. Dont get me wrong I love wrenching but Im kinda short on time and money, and I certainly dont have enough knowledge to comfortable do it by myself.

FZcruzer I am definitely interested, let me know.