The Official Garmin 62, 64 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:
    Looking at getting the 62s. I can upload GPX files to it right?
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:

Of course.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  3. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:
    Well I bought the 62s. Now just to get it mounted on the Tiger and go use it!

Almost half off at Academy, couldn't pass it up. Merry Xmas to me.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Commercial GPS receivers have not used any new "technology" since they first appeared on the market years ago. Just a simple controller doing some tricky math calculations, no rocket science here. Custom ASICs (Application Specific IC) have increased performance, reduced manufacturing cost, and retail price but nothing close to High Tech advancement.

The only thing close to new Tech was the introduction of Touch Screens, other than that, they just kept adding more memory and more very simple firmware features.

There have been a few hardware issues (reliability not technology) with a few units but for the main part all the issues are firmware, just simple code not technology.

If Garmin or any other manufacture built a really great piece of GPS hardware with an open firmware architecture like a cell phone, all user complaints would be resolved by our great capitalist free market.

Short of that, the best we consumers can hope for are for Garmin (owner of the market) to program in as many built in customer interface options as possible so the unit can be configured to display the data set that each user prefers.
  5. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jerry -

There has been some new technology introduced into the consumer GPS units.

More advanced GPS receiver chips partially based upon finer line geometry, and the latest big breakthrough is newer receiver chips that also use GLONASS - the Russian GPS satellite array in addition to the US satellite constellation.

Minor technology updates in memory card storage and internal memory type and size.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Custom Application Specific Integrated Circuits were new technonogy 25-30 years ago. Finer lines have been happening for 45-50 years. Just making another new ASIC does not front page on Aviation Week.

Yes given a constraint of size and weight, as technology advances, more function can be packaged within that constraint. The question is; what great new performance features in commercial GPS have been possible because of new technology?

Does adding more satellites to the calculation really help the average user?

Like I said, Outdoor Touch Screens is a "New Technology" that made a big change, but are there others. I think the others were just micro steps in existing technology and barely detectable.

Specifically to this thread, was there any new technology that made the 62/78 possible over the 60/76 or was it just adding more memory and then making a bunch of desireable adn undesireable changes to code?
  7. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    well I just ordered the 62s from gpscity last night. Caught the boxing day sale, and ended up getting it for $150 off.

I ordered the GPS, a ram mount for the bike (medium length clamp, 3" between centers), and a 4gb mini sd card all for $280 taxes and shipping included.

Now we play the waiting game...
  8. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to sort thru this thread as best I can after buying the 62s. Like a lot of others, I'm wondering about the usb port for off road use. WTF was garmin thinking! And why does the damn cord point up from the unit instead of down?

I know the 62s has been out long enough that the usb connection is generally known to be too weak for continued off road use, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried a more permanent connection? Sorry if this has been discussed previously....still trying to read thru the entire thread and all it's links.

I'm wondering if anyone has permanently attached the connection to the unit (?? glued, soldered, siliconed, jb welded??) with the cord pig-tailed and split with quick connects (or something similar) to allow you to remove from bike. The usb cable for computer hookup would also use quick connects to allow you to still connect to computer.

Dumb idea? :ear

I hate to think I'm buying batteries for the rest of my 62s lifetime.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get some NiMH rechargeables. I have some 2700mAh AAs, a charge is usually good for a couple of days. There might even be higher capacity ones by now.
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    This is as close to a solution as you'll find, Jeff: Garmin Nuvi USB Power Cable Demystified
  11. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike. That's kinda what I was thinking about only making something that would permanently fasten the usb connection to the unit. I'm guessing the usb connection fails after time from the vibs it takes while the unit is bouncing around off road. If the usb connection was fixed in place, there might be less chance of it weakening.
    I already bought the hard wiring kit for motorbikes, so I guess I'll just use it and send the unit back (after every season) to gps city when it fails. lol Even the new cradle for the unit is not very user friendly. It kinda interferes with the buttons.

I guess Garmin never heard the saying, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', cause I sure like my 60cs a lot more for it's simplicity.
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    If you want 60CS like simplicity, just switch to the "Classic" profile. It'll look and behave almost identically to a 60.
  13. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never knew that
  14. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks closer to a 60, but still has all the quirks of the new firmware.

At least the godawful "ribbon" goes away. :puke1
  15. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    more good news! I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of that little fucker. :lol3
  16. mazman808

mazman808 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL, my USB port doesnt work anymore after my xmas trip:eek1
    If i use batteries on my 62, it cuts off on bumpy tracks... useless!
    Also, im not liking how at certain angles with the sun shining on it, its hard to see the screen.

No warranty on mine, over a year old, so looks like i'll be looking at something else now, as im not fond of it.
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You could get a refurb for $110 from the Garmin "Out Of Warranty" plan.
  18. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    sometimes it is the plug and not the port in the gps. take needlenose pliers and very slightly expand the sides of the plug on the cable and see if it helps....
  19. crtahoe

crtahoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 62, have the nice mount and have installed the temp element. Need recommendations, should I just use batteries or go the hard wire route.

Thank you for your insight.
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Batteries. NiMH rechargeables, 2700mAh or better. USB hookup best used next to the computer only.