Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #5536
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Looking for skid plate advice...

Hi folks,

Need to order up a skid/bash plate, and most likely will get a Scheffelmeier (sp?). Curious though from those who actually own or have owned the bashplates with the toolbox add on - is it worth it? Can I expect to carry, say, my flat repair kit/spare tube down there? What are others storing down there?

I know TT made one for a while too, but I know longer see it and would prefer to purchase from SS .vs. TT...

Other thoughts/opinions in regards to the toolbox/no toolbox choice?

Thanks,
Mike
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #5537
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,200
I have had the non-tool box Sheffelmeier and have sonce replaced it with the tool box version.

I carry all of my tools there except my pump, allen wrenches, and quadbox wrench. My spare tubes are carried elsewhere.

It does make it harder to wheelie, but not having to worry about tools is worth it to me.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #5538
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Hi folks,

Need to order up a skid/bash plate, and most likely will get a Scheffelmeier (sp?). Curious though from those who actually own or have owned the bashplates with the toolbox add on - is it worth it? Can I expect to carry, say, my flat repair kit/spare tube down there? What are others storing down there?

I know TT made one for a while too, but I know longer see it and would prefer to purchase from SS .vs. TT...

Thanks,
Mike
I have the non-toolbox Scheffelmeier version, las week I ordered a LC8 TT toolbox that I think might be adaptable. I'll post pics if I manage to fit it..

jabroka screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 12:36 PM
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #5539
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,317
I searched the thread and couldn't find any info but, is anyone use the wolfman E12 or day tripper side bags on their Xch? Looking for something small like this and was wondering if anyone could comment on how they worked on this particular bike with regards to fitment. Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #5540
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I searched the thread and couldn't find any info but, is anyone use the wolfman E12 or day tripper side bags on their Xch? Looking for something small like this and was wondering if anyone could comment on how they worked on this particular bike with regards to fitment. Thanks
Hi swimmer,

I found this pic searching google. It does not show the bag on the pipe side, which is the most important. These bags were designed to rest against the side plastics and the X-Challenge does not have much of one on the pipe side. I would suggest some sort of heat shield for sure to keep the bag off the pipe. We typically don't recommend using these on that bike Unless of course you know the risk up front and are prepared to modify the bike a bit...

Dusty from Wolfman

Old 12-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #5541
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
I have had the non-tool box Sheffelmeier and have sonce replaced it with the tool box version.

I carry all of my tools there except my pump, allen wrenches, and quadbox wrench. My spare tubes are carried elsewhere.

It does make it harder to wheelie, but not having to worry about tools is worth it to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroka View Post
I have the non-toolbox Scheffelmeier version, las week I ordered a LC8 TT toolbox that I think might be adaptable.
Thanks TB/jabroka!

I'd be interested in seeing that TT lc8 add on if you get pics, might be easier for me just to order up the toolbox version and be done with it ...

TB - thanks, that's about what I'd envision the box holding. My wheelie skills are non existent, so I'm good there...
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #5542
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
Hi swimmer,

. It does not show the bag on the pipe side,
Another pic shows some sort of bar/rack on the other side.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #5543
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
Hi swimmer,

I found this pic searching google. It does not show the bag on the pipe side, which is the most important. These bags were designed to rest against the side plastics and the X-Challenge does not have much of one on the pipe side. I would suggest some sort of heat shield for sure to keep the bag off the pipe. We typically don't recommend using these on that bike Unless of course you know the risk up front and are prepared to modify the bike a bit...

Dusty from Wolfman
That's Uncle Grumper's Challenge. He doesn't post much, but you might try a Google search. There is one ride report with some video of the bike here at ADV.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...uncle+grumpers

The only way to live forever is to give up everything worth living for.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #5544
swimmer
armchair asshole

Sorry for another question for which I am sure the answer is posted somewhere but I have not been able to find it. I am going through my new to me Xch with oil changes etc.... Is there an oil filter to use in replacement of the OEM one that is readily available from a good manufacture? Just looking to save a few bucks. I can buy the o-ring from the dealer separately if I need it. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #5545
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
K&N makes one, but I don't think it's any cheaper then OEM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #5546
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 557
Bike Stand/Lift, looking for recommendations

What stands do you guys use/prefer for performing maintenance. The X is my first bike without a center stand. We have a XChallenge and a XCountry in the family and would like a stand/lift that would work for both bikes if possible.
Thanks,
A.W.
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #5547
motorrat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
If the Country has its Original plastic bashplate you better not put it on a MX-lift
motorrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #5548
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorrat View Post
If the Country has its Original plastic bashplate you better not put it on a MX-lift
It does, maybe a good excuse to look for XCh take-off for the Country? Is the stock XCh strong enough? I have a synthetic Hyde Racing skid plate over the stocker on the XCh.

Thanks for the info!
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #5549
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
I have the large Touratech slidplate and its been on a MX stand. I put a center stand on it, so now no need to lift it.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #5550
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Hi folks,

Thanks,
Mike
I had one ..I can tell it it 100% NOT waterproof despite the claims even in new condition .It's a nice mud plow and catches shit well and your tools all rust up. I had the clips break a few times but he did send me replacement parts for free so the after service is good. I fitted a hasp n staple with a padlock to be shore.
I am thinking of building another XC this time I will buy the standard guard with holes in
kito is offline   Reply With Quote