ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #31
tour OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
So far some very interresting reading and learning. Thanx
So it seems to me after some more research that the Rottweiler CPR filter system is the way to go. Long standing reputation and all. Had a look at their site but a phone and bad connection makes things a bit slow.
With the SE sausage filter is it still necessary to remove the safari tank to clean the filter or is it just an unclip and remove system? Also filter socks are they available for the sausage?
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #32
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,248
Want a hack job(diy)...
ITG sausage

ITG baseplate

You should be able to see that i grease the edge when cleaning the filter. I think this is the way to go with the new 1190 Adv. Sausagestyle and grease ;-)

regards
Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #33
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by tour View Post
So far some very interresting reading and learning. Thanx
So it seems to me after some more research that the Rottweiler CPR filter system is the way to go. Long standing reputation and all. Had a look at their site but a phone and bad connection makes things a bit slow.
With the SE sausage filter is it still necessary to remove the safari tank to clean the filter or is it just an unclip and remove system? Also filter socks are they available for the sausage?
you can remove the CPR filter with the tank in place, no problem.

filter socks are available for the sausage filter, they are just the thin fabric types (CPR sells them on their site) instead of the full foam pre filter that's available for the taller ADV filter..
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #34
buzybraza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICERIDER View Post
That sounds like a plan! I'm surprised at how much room there is above the filter. How much is taken off the rear trumpet to fit the sausage filter?

For the guys running the normal non-sausage filter on the SE, do you have to take much off the seat base to fit? And can you run the foam sock as opposed to the thin skin?

Last question.. do you need Flexjets or are you able to reach under a Safari?

Thanks.
1-As for trimming trumpets for the sausage style ITG, look at my link below. If I was doing it again I would cut both the same, straight cut, about one inch to one and a half inches tall measured from carb mouth to keep both trumpets the same instead of the "2 different sculptures" I created (or destroyed!).

2-Non sausage style for me was not an option at all. No way I am going to cut the seat base.

3-Flexjets are a must in my opinion, as are the Factory Pro needles.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859772

baseon2 photo baseonbike2_zps29e2e9f1.jpg

baseon1 photo baseonbike1_zps4bbfcde0.jpg

photo cutstacks1_zpsd203cc94.jpg

buzybraza screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 11:30 AM Reason: pictures
buzybraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #35
buzybraza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER650 View Post
This style of filter is the easiest to clean.
Hold it up, run the cleaning soloution from the clean side through to the dirt side and it's CLEAN.

You can do it without even getting your hands dirty.
Foam filters SUCK TO CLEAN.

Your results may differ

in 45,000k of riding, much of it (if not most of it) was in the dirt. Never any traces of dust in the carbs or anywhere on the filtered side of the system
I agree in terms of just cleaning K&N style filters against foam, but how about getting to the filter in the first place? And then putting everything back together? Specifically in the case of the 950/990 KTMs I have done it both ways and I prefer to deal with the ITG foam than with the 950/990 airbox/tank.....

Your results may differ
buzybraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzybraza View Post
1-As for trimming trumpets for the sausage style ITG, look at my link below. If I was doing it again I would cut both the same, straight cut, about one inch to one and a half inches tall measured from carb mouth to keep both trumpets the same instead of the "2 different sculptures" I created (or destroyed!).

2-Non sausage style for me was not an option at all. No way I am going to cut the seat base.

3-Flexjets are a must in my opinion, as are the Factory Pro needles.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859772

Thanks for all that. I think that's the first time I've actually seen the trumpets cut after all the talk about it.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #37
tour OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
guys this has been a very lekker learning curve for me. so thank you for all of the information on the different products so far. my thinking is this... I will be going for the ROTTWEILER CPR air filter...

why ? well so far I had a look at both of these 2 brands Rottweiler and SW7. Now I am a tight bastard and our currency does not really stand too tall against the US Dollar... but yet I have decided that on the longrun it will be a better investment for the life of my love "Fluffy" 950 SE . She only gets the best from me and sometimes the best might be more expensive but better filtration is more important than price.

I have had 2 of my very good friends (mechanical engineer techy type guys) also look into these two filters and we all ended up with the Rottweiler filter as the best bet. So early in the new year I will get mine.

Now this is just my decision and if any one has more to contribute please feel free as this thread can still add a lot to our lives and those of our beloved LC 8 engines. Honestly the more info we can add here the better for more possible clients like myself that want to go this route.
I will still be reading up as much as I possibly can on this but for the next two days I will be out riding with friends.

One mate will be tagging along with a little Yamaha 125 that he wants to do Southern Africa with.

hope to see some more action here
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #38
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Tour,
Taking my police hat off, buy whichever product you feel best solves your needs. Do your research, ask your questions. But unfortunately, this has been an unusually volatile subject which unfortunately resolves itself in moderator action, too many times and waaaay to often. Caveat Emptor.

Police hat back on.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote