Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
isalas16 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Trip around Europe

Hello inmates,

Ive been a lurker of adv forums for some time now, my name is Isaac, I finally registered a few days ago, Im planning my trip around Europe in October 2014.

Let me tell you a little about myself, I live in Central America, Costa Rica, been here all my life expect for a few months in Austin TX, California and Florida at different times over the past 10 years due to work.

Im turning 30 in Oct so this is going to be my gift hahahaha, Ive ridden bikes since I was 12, started with small bikes, scooters, did some motocross then going up to custom choppers and Harleys, I have ridden in the US whenever possible but almost always big cruisers and here in Costa rica to Nicaragua and Panama and all around my country.

I was planning on renting a bike but once I found wheatwhacker service I will definitely be buying since I will be there for 22 to 30 days or more, and will probably sell it back once Im done or ship it back if I get too attach, Im also still not sure of what brand or model of bike to buy, I think I want to spent around $2000 to $2500, I want something around 400cc to 800cc nothing too heavy, my idea is to camp around 30 to 40% of the nights while the rest of the days staying at friends or small hotels things like that.

As for the bike I think I will be buying it around July-August so I will be reaching out to wheatwhacker around those dates to get the bike.

I wanted to throw the routes and time-frames Im thinking about, Im a big soccer and racing fan so I want to visit a few stadiums catch a game or two, and a couple of race tracks as well, and this is sort of what I had in mind.

Start at wheatwhacker place, drive to Dublin then ferry to Liverpool, from there to Manchester spent 1 night there, then down to London, 1 night there, from there to Paris, stay 1 or 2 nights, then off to Madrid stopping in the middle or at the boarder for 1 night to rest, once In Madrid stay 1 night, then to Valencia 1 night, then to Barcelona, here I want to stay 2 or 3 nights, then off to Monaco going along the cost line, stay 1 or two nights, from there to Milan 1 night, Zurich 1 night, Munich 2 nights, Prague 1 or 2 nights, Berlin 1 night, maybe if time permits Copenhagen, Nrburgring, then Amsterdam here for 2 nights, then Brussels and off to Calais to catch the ferry back to the UK and Dublin, .

I know the amount of nights will probably change depending on many factors while Im on the road but I want to get a sense of the time frame, does this look doable? or is it too much?
isalas16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
bartvanrth
Lord of the rims

Oddometer: 21
Seems like you're doing all the big cities. Lot's of ringways and traffic congestions. Big cities are more expensive. Don't forget all the splendid countryroads, little mideaval villages & scenery. You must see Europe on the backroads unless you like driving straight on highways between 1 million trucks. My opinion: going from Dublin to Valencia, France, Italy up to Prague in 33 days on a bike? No thx

Bart
ride reports (HERE)
bartvanrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartvanrth View Post
Seems like you're doing all the big cities. Lot's of ringways and traffic congestions. Big cities are more expensive. Don't forget all the splendid countryroads, little mideaval villages & scenery. You must see Europe on the backroads unless you like driving straight on highways between 1 million trucks. My opinion: going from Dublin to Valencia, France, Italy up to Prague in 33 days on a bike? No thx
This. ^

If you're mentioning the cities as a way to lay out a route, okay. But as Bart says, the best bits are in the countryside.

You could do that trip but IMO you'd be better served to cut it in half or even less. My mantra is to stop and smell the roses, don't roll more than six hours a day unless necessary. The ride IS the destination.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartvanrth View Post
Seems like you're doing all the big cities. Lot's of ringways and traffic congestions. Big cities are more expensive. Don't forget all the splendid countryroads, little mideaval villages & scenery. You must see Europe on the backroads unless you like driving straight on highways between 1 million trucks.
+2

If you want to see the cities, the bike is for sure not the greatest way to do it. Its a waste of money and time. In the capitals parking the bike will cost you as much as I spend max for a room. Use low-cost airlines and or trains.

If riding is the purpose, stay in the mountains or at least on secondary roads. Much more fun.
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Tomy1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
It sounds to me that you have more or less a city-trip in mind. Going by motor-cycle is for sure not the best way to do this. Have you ever thought of going by train? There is the oportunity to by a Eurail ticket. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurail
http://www.eurail.com/
I do not know the actual offers since they changed a lot in recent years but they had great offers in the 1990is.
You like race-tracks and football? Well, there should be plenty of oportunities to watch one of the big european teams (Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, Munich) and on November 9th there will be the season final of the 2014th MotoGP in Valencia, Spain, which might be worth watching.

If you name the cities just to show a brief direction and you do not want to visit all the cities, I would agree with RTlover, cut it in half or less and focus on just two or three countries.
Tomy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote