User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
MisterMike24 OP
Legal Alien

Oddometer: 23
Giro d'Italia 2014

I'm currently planning my spring trip across France then around Italy and would like any advice, tips or hints that you guys can come up with.

This is going to be my first 'big' trip with Google telling me that I'm looking at 4500 kms and about 80 hours of riding.

I'm having trouble working out daily riding distances. I should have two weeks to do the trip in April/May. I don't really want to spend the whole time slogging away on the motorway but would an average of about 400km a day seem reasonable for a n00b?

Like I say, this will be my first big trip. I'll be going solo with my CB750 Seven Fifty. I don't want to pack too much gear so cheap hotels will be what I'm aiming for in Italy, rather than camping. Any recommendations on that front would be most welcome. I'm being put up in Switzerland by a long lost friend and Bayonne is good too .

A rough outline for the moment is Bordeaux, Geneva, Torino, Milano, Verona, Pescara, Bari, Pomeii (Naples), Rome, Firenze, Genova, Toulouse, Bayonne, Bordeaux.

I'm in it more for the riding than visiting big cities but for the moment they seem like good spots to aim for. Even though I've lapped up most of the Alps ride reports, snow isn't my thing and I aim to steer clear of the Alps as quickly as possible.

What do you more experienced guys (and gurls) think?

MisterMike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike24 View Post
I'm having trouble working out daily riding distances. (snip) would an average of about 400km a day seem reasonable for a n00b?
Ambitious. In the hilly parts, expect 250 - 300 kms/day. I'd look at using AutoRoutes or equivalent to get through the heavily populated/congested areas and save your time for the roads that make you smile.

That being said, your estimate of 4,500 kms over 80 riding hours seems to be good.

This was 16 riding days last July, and is pretty typical of past years. There was about 500kms of Autobahn on the last day, the rest was major roads getting to the Alps and fun roads while there.

Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,773
I recently drove all the way down the east coast of Italy and back up the west coast and it's a personal view, but unless you're right down in the "toe" towards Sicily, southern Italy sucks. I'd spend more time in central Italy. I've found myself averaging 280-300 kms per day on these sort of trips where I'm mixing highway with more scenic roads.

I'd rename your tour the Mille Miglia (Google the 2014 route) and link in to that taking in the Cevennes on the way back.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
May I ask why you didn't like southern parts of Italy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
I recently drove all the way down the east coast of Italy and back up the west coast and it's a personal view, but unless you're right down in the "toe" towards Sicily, southern Italy sucks. I'd spend more time in central Italy. I've found myself averaging 280-300 kms per day on these sort of trips where I'm mixing highway with more scenic roads.

I'd rename your tour the Mille Miglia (Google the 2014 route) and link in to that taking in the Cevennes on the way back.
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,773
Boring, unattractive countryside, crazy driving habits and irritating locals.

Had a great time in Italy until we hit Pescara, Foggia, Bari, Taranto and round to Cosenza. Right down in the "toe" and Sicily were great however. The scenery improves coming back up the west coast but the surly attitude remained until after Salerno.

Your milage may vary.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Oki, I will most probably go next year to Italy but I will most likely be most of the time in Northern Italy but I am also interested in suthern part of Italy.
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Hello Mr Mike,

you can have a look at my website. Some articles are in english also, in the category column there is the list of the regions I usually drive.

http://francescomartini2010.wordpress.com/

Feel free to contact me for any question/help/other

F
Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
countach
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Bounjour mistermike!

400 km per day with a CB750 it's a very possiblle thing, very very easy with the highway, normal in the other tarmac way. don't worry! ;)

i'll talk only for the italian trip.

highway is very boring for me, torino-milano-verona will be by suicide! is better choose the street around the great lake (maggiore, como and garda).
from verona/garda take the highway to bologna, then exit from the hiighway to do the futa route: is the bologna-firenze route, very recommended. Near Barberino del mugello you must to eat the real fiorentina steak!!!! (contact me when it happen!)
nb: pay attention to the velox control in tuscany!
if you want to visit rome, take a minimum of 3 days, is really a city fully of things to see!
Sibillini mount (visit Castelluccio di Norcia!!!!!), Gran sasso (you have to do the campotosto lake and the campo imperatore road!!!) and Maiella is your route! wonderful places, beautiful roads and very very free.
if you want to go in puglia, you have to see the salento, Gallipoli, otranto and santa maria di leuca.
when you come back to the nord, you have to see also the costiera amalfitana. pay attention......
the liguria road is fantastic, also in the highway!

ps: as pointed out by wildman, many cities are difficult for a biker, try to drive in the secondary road, will be a fantastic trip!!!!