User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
rattis OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Question Hot

My 990 overheats, in slow traffic and i Colombian low land temperatures and in city traffic the thermometer crawls up to the second but last bar and the fan is running the whole time blowing hot air on my left knee.
The only thing that I can see is that the coolant level never moves in the expansion bottle, always sort of mid level.
It warms up reasonably quickly and according to a mechanic in Guadalajara the thermostat is ok.
He's changed the coolant by the way and it made no difference at all.
It's bit depressing sitting in rush hour traffic and knowing it's overheating and maybe it'll stall due to high temp.
The Colombians will lynch me!
waterpump?
burp?
It runs well by all standards.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,170
I'd make sure it's burped. Get that front wheel 3 feet off the ground and see if the radiator can take more coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
My 990 overheats, in slow traffic and i Colombian low land temeoeratures and in city traffic the thermometer crawls up to the second but last bar and the fan is running the whole time blowing hot air on my left knee.
The only thing that I can see is that the coolant level never moves in the expansion bottle, always sort of mid level.
It heats up reasonably quickly and according to a mechanic in Guadalajar the thermostat is ok.
He's changed the coolant by the way and it made no difference at all.
It's bit depressing sitting in rush hour traffic and knowing it's overheating and maybe it'll stall due to high temp.
The Colombians will lynch me!
waterpump?
burp?
It runs well by all standards.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,467
Try the burbing first, Maya always ran 5 bars in traffic, twice 6 bars when I forgot to turn the headlight off and it was 40 plus degrees, that is now fixed with an off on switch.

Short of that the second fan mod, forget the lower thermostat it is a waste of time.

Welcome to South American heat ... stay in the mountains and out of the cities!!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
I remember a 990 guy had this a few months ago. He even checked the thermostat in boiling water and was convinced it was working. If I remember correctly it was the thermostat after all. Just wasn't passing enough flow through the rad.

You can check the pump is working by taking the rad cap off when it's cooled. Start the motor and you should see the flow coming up the right side of the rad. Not too many revs or it'll shoot all over the place!

Does your bike have 2 fans? Some guys fit the stat switch that brings the fans on earlier, but if your system is serviced correctly it should handle normal ambient temps without overheating.

Try fitting a new rad cap and thermostat first perhaps?
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
These bikes can be a bit difficult to completely bleed, as far as the cooling system goes. Mine has a small leak at the pipe that comes out of the water pump cover, and I've noticed that as it leaks, the temp goes up faster and faster. It doesn't take much air to make a big difference in a relatively low volume system like the LC8's.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,228
I have the same problem when it's warm here. When I asked about it here most of the replies where the 990's run hot.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,724
I removed the plastic radiator guard.

This obstructs air flow. Try an aluminum rad guard instead, if you think it is needed for off road adventures.
You say level does not move in the overflow reservoir. Maybe you need to recheck your thermostat is operating?
For bleeding, a good practice is to squeeze the hose. Helps push the air out.
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 01:09 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,135
My coolant level moves in the reservoir every time I use the bike and comes back to the same level on a cool engine.
I would burp the system if yours doesn't fluctuate at all.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
My 990 overheats, in slow traffic and i Colombian low land temperatures and in city traffic the thermometer crawls up to the second but last bar and the fan is running the whole time blowing hot air on my left knee.
Two summers ago my 990 overheated (often 6 bars on the thermometer). Reason was the waterpump impeller was in contact with the housing. When I opened the housing I found a worn impeller and the pump housing was damaged too. I guess the issue was a missing retainer on the shaft but I didnt put any attention to the exact reason. I simply replaced impeller, shaft, seal, bearing and housing. Success! Since then, always 4 bars on the thermometer with 5 bars only in extreme situations.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #10
Sawo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
My 990 also overheated last summer. I installed a second fan and an aluminium radiator guard. Hope that will help for the future.
Sawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
CJ Designs has a kit to add a second fan to the right side radiator. I installed it and have never had overheating since.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Sounds like you need to completely remove air from the system & check your thermostat & radiator cap. Make sure your coolant is properly diluted. Consider a CV4 higher-pressure radiator cap, costs about the same as OEM replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
forget the lower thermostat it is a waste of time
Are you referring to the fan switch? Not true at all- for the money works better than a 2nd fan. I tried the switch alone & it keeps overall temp lower, the 2nd fan (which I also have) just brings the temp down faster.
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
Sounds like you need to completely remove air from the system & check your thermostat & radiator cap. Make sure your coolant is properly diluted. Consider a CV4 higher-pressure radiator cap, costs about the same as OEM replacement.

Are you referring to the fan switch? Not true at all- for the money works better than a 2nd fan. I tried the switch alone & it keeps overall temp lower, the 2nd fan (which I also have) just brings the temp down faster.
How can a higher-pressure rad cap help it run cooler? It raises the boiling point but doesn't dump heat.

I can see how the lower temp fan switch can help, by dumping heat sooner instead of waiting for it to build up.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
buzybraza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
things to do

1-install second fan (from CJ or ADV Machines) http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...tm-950990-adv/ http://www.advmachines.com/product_p/rallyfan-1001.htm
2-install lower temp fan switch http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-...rmostat-switch http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...re-sensor-ktm/
3-run evans coolant instead of regular coolant http://www.evanscooling.com/products...ports-coolant/
4-test thermostat
5-burp system

If your bike boils after all this, then set it on fire and collect the insurance check.

buzybraza screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 02:31 PM Reason: links
buzybraza is offline   Reply With Quote