ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #61
TheBlurr OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Not from a proper motorcycle store. If they are six years old they get replaced... It doesn't matter if they have a hundred miles on them. It they date code out they should be GONE!
NO argument from me, although I suspect they are less of a danger than tires which have been cycled quit often.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #62
Louis Wambsganss
Adventurer
 
Louis Wambsganss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Wallet View Post
Ok, help me out Tuna. I didn't understand what you were saying. You don't use a mold release agent but then you said you sprayed silicone on all surfaces of the tires. When in the process does this get done? Why do you do it? Is it on the tire when it leaves your factory? I'm not trying to be a smart ass I really want to understand.
I had the same questions and am interested to hear the explanation.
Louis Wambsganss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #63
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 10,332
When I lever on a new set of knobs you can believe I take it easy on pavement until the sharp edges scrub in. Last year I put on a new XCMH for a mountain dual sport ride. The first time I hammered the gas out of a fast sweeper my 640 spun the rear tire.

So I backed off a few percent. After catching up to my buddies I suggested some forest road flat tracking before any more playing Rossi in the twisties. After roosting up some dirt and gravel road the rear tire was fine. Just the way it is when you run knobs.
__________________
525EXC, 640 Enduro, XT200
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #64
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM707 View Post
Having roadraced for over 10 years, I second this......

It's not "opinion" that new tires are slippery, it's a fact.

I've been through probably 1000 sets of tires......
Well, if you have road raced for 10 years and and you are from CT, then I know you and have seen you race a lot. If you were a front runner, I might have even scored you. At least if you did it since 1998. From the Green Flag, my riders hit turn one on sticker Dunlops every race once they turned Pro. One season we ran Pirelli's. Still hit T1 as hard as they could. So does every other top rider with either a tire contract or a tire budget to mount sticker tires every start. So how are those new tires slippery? It doesn't matter the track. Every guy up front hits turn one from the green flag as hard as he or she can; Loudon, NJMP, Summit Point, VIR, Daytona or wherever.

People will complain that race tires are different then street tires. True; Street tires are softer and heat up much faster. But unlike race tires, they are not heated before use. Still, nobody is going to crash because the street tire isn't scuffed in. That stopped in the middle 90's.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #65
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2,543
"Running In Tires:
When new motorcycle tires are fitted for the road, they should not be subjected to maximum power until a reasonable ‘running in’ distance has been covered. 100 dry miles (160km) is the recommended minimum (discount any wet miles covered)."

The need to discount any wet miles ridden implies that the running in period is meant to wear the suface of the tire.

From: http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/safety

Page 178 of Contenental's Technical Manual for Motorcycle and Scooter Tires (2013):

"Breaking-in
New tires have a smooth surface after the
production process, which gets abraded only
through the moderate breaking-in of the tires.
Sudden braking and acceleration, and hard
cornering should be avoided until the breaking in
process has been completed. Only after the
surface of the tire is sufficiently abraded is the tire able to build up its maximum grip level. The
tire’s size/information sticker should be removed
before the first ride.
Every tire needs a certain operating temperature
to ensure its optimal grip performance. To ensure
this, tires should be warmed up by riding at a
moderate speed at the start of each ride."

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure manufaturers don't publish rumors when advising the users of their products.

Racers charge hard on new tires because they are paid to be faster then the other guys. Being a second slower on any given lap can end up making a huge difference in how big the paycheck is.

k-moe screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 07:04 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #66
TheBlurr OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
"Running In Tires:
When new motorcycle tires are fitted for the road, they should not be subjected to maximum power until a reasonable ‘running in’ distance has been covered. 100 dry miles (160km) is the recommended minimum (discount any wet miles covered)."

The need to discount any wet miles ridden implies that the running in period is meant to wear the suface of the tire.

From: http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/safety

Page 178 of Contenental's Technical Manual for Motorcycle and Scooter Tires (2013):

"Breaking-in
New tires have a smooth surface after the
production process, which gets abraded only
through the moderate breaking-in of the tires.
Sudden braking and acceleration, and hard
cornering should be avoided until the breaking in
process has been completed. Only after the
surface of the tire is sufficiently abraded is the tire able to build up its maximum grip level. The
tire’s size/information sticker should be removed
before the first ride.
Every tire needs a certain operating temperature
to ensure its optimal grip performance. To ensure
this, tires should be warmed up by riding at a
moderate speed at the start of each ride."

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure manufaturers don't publish rumors when advising the user's of their products.

Racers charge hard on new tires because they are paid to be faster then the other guys. Being a second slower on any given lap can end up making a huge difference in how big the paycheck is.
Yea all the track guys I know charge hard for that big Pay check lol the one they are writing to have fun (I used to be one of em)

Take some time read the article I put forth.

Look You mean well, and I fully appreciate the link, however clearly your knowledge is pretty limited on this, so I invite you just as others on here
At some point to take the time to do a couple of track days, again, you will be amazed at how much you do not know and get this, you can run whatever tire you want.
Warning lots of myths will be dispelled and you will be an entirely different rider, Go for it.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #67
TheBlurr OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 5,588
I guess most of you do not realize it, but the vast majority at the race track are not there to race, they are there to simply practice their skills

There are groups so you will not be thrown to the wolves

It IS NOT A RACE, take your time and learn, the hot headed Rossi Wannabes almost always blow thru a couple corners.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #68
MT Wallet
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: North "Freezin" Dakota
Oddometer: 273
"Look You mean well, and I fully appreciate the link, however clearly your knowledge is pretty limited on this, so I invite you just as others on here
At some point to take the time to do a couple of track days, again, you will be amazed at how much you do not know and get this, you can run whatever tire you want."
I've seen some condescending and patronizing remarks by many people of all stripes but pal, you take the cake. You're obviously looking for some kind of acknowledgement for something. Do you think you're famous or just some sad poser who wishes he was. I usually don't get offended by much but your arrogant attitude is offensive. Nobody's opinion or experience or even a manufacturer can trump your vast name dropping self serving crap. Feel free to kiss my tire scuffing ass.
MT Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #69
Louis Wambsganss
Adventurer
 
Louis Wambsganss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 96
While we're at it, let's quote a few more manufacturers concerning their new street legal motorcycle tires.

Michelin: http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/ad...se-of-my-tires
DO I HAVE TO RUN MY TIRES IN?
Yes. When new tires are fitted, they need to be run in for the first 60 miles or so, gradually increasing the lean of the bike and keeping to a moderate speed before the tire reaches optimum performance.

Bridgestone: http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...ote/index.html
LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL DUE TO FAILURE TO “BREAK-IN” TIRES.
Use extreme caution when riding on new tires.
Avoid sudden acceleration,maximum braking,and hard cornering for first 100 miles.

Metzeler: http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/tech...intenance.html
Run-in
For optimum performance, new tyres should be ridden on cautiously for the first 100-200 km. During this run-in period sudden acceleration, heavy braking, and hard cornering must be avoided.

In fact, Pirelli is the only manufacturer from whom I could not find a specific statement about new tire break-in procedures. Either Pirelli does something during construction that no other manufacturer does, or they just don't make mention of break-in and assume that their dealer network will inform riders.
Louis Wambsganss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #70
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
... so I invite you just as others on here
At some point to take the time to do a couple of track days, again, you will be amazed at how much you do not know and get this,...
Take a moment from your very important life and look up the definition for the following word:

assume


Now I'm going to make an assumption about you. You are a darksider, which is why your tires don't need scrubbing in.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #71
TheBlurr OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Wallet View Post
"Look You mean well, and I fully appreciate the link, however clearly your knowledge is pretty limited on this, so I invite you just as others on here
At some point to take the time to do a couple of track days, again, you will be amazed at how much you do not know and get this, you can run whatever tire you want."
I've seen some condescending and patronizing remarks by many people of all stripes but pal, you take the cake. You're obviously looking for some kind of acknowledgement for something. Do you think you're famous or just some sad poser who wishes he was. I usually don't get offended by much but your arrogant attitude is offensive. Nobody's opinion or experience or even a manufacturer can trump your vast name dropping self serving crap. Feel free to kiss my tire scuffing ass.
Yea, thats it, My goal on here was just to be a total prick and not to help dispel a bullshit myth that does not allow people to be better riders.
As long as you keep making excuses they will continue to suffer.


Quote:
Take a moment from your very important life and look up the definition for the following word:

assume


Now I'm going to make an assumption about you. You are a darksider, which is why your tires don't need scrubbing in.
I KNOW what I need to do in regard to my tires, which has been posted up here in various aspects, I have not made idiotic assumptions Since I took my first track day and learned from those more knowledgeable than myself. A place where assumptions get you on your side.

But I guess this means ya'll are afraid to go for real and have the myth dispelled? That is fine, be ignorant it is a good place for fools
Quote:
.

Michelin: http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/ad...se-of-my-tires
DO I HAVE TO RUN MY TIRES IN?
Yes. When new tires are fitted, they need to be run in for the first 60 miles or so, gradually increasing the lean of the bike and keeping to a moderate speed before the tire reaches optimum performance.

Bridgestone: http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...ote/index.html
LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL DUE TO FAILURE TO “BREAK-IN” TIRES.
Use extreme caution when riding on new tires.
Avoid sudden acceleration,maximum braking,and hard cornering for first 100 miles.

Metzeler: http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/tech...intenance.html
Run-in
For optimum performance, new tyres should be ridden on cautiously for the first 100-200 km. During this run-in period sudden acceleration, heavy braking, and hard cornering must be avoided.

In fact, Pirelli is the only manufacturer from whom I could not find a specific statement about new tire break-in procedures. Either Pirelli does something during construction that no other manufacturer does, or they just don't make mention of break-in and assume that their dealer network will inform riders.
Congratulations nancy sue, for confirming that yes, everyone aught to be careful as I stated before, not because of slick tires, but because get this, an entirely new riding profile, Rocket science, clearly you are not one.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #72
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Rocket science, clearly you are not one.
How does one "become" an entire field of study?
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #73
Louis Wambsganss
Adventurer
 
Louis Wambsganss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 96
Dunlop mentions an acclamation period for the rider to get used to the profile of a new tire. The three I quoted specifically make mention of breaking in the tire, not the rider.

No one here is saying you are wrong about a cold tire having less grip than a tire at optimum temperature. That certainly is a valid consideration. As is the need for the rider to get used to the profile of new tires.

The problem is that you are completely dismissing anyone and everyone who says anything about surface film or abrasion playing a part at times.

If you had an altruistic intent here to inform the rest of us peons of the massive knowledge gained on your first track day, you have gone about it in a terribly inefficient manner. Your name calling, personal attacks, arrogance, condescension, and refusal to even consider any evidence to the contrary of your pre-formed opinion have alienated anyone who may have listened to you if you had presented your ideas in a thoughtful manner.

Regardless of the way you delivered your opinion, I feel that there is sufficient evidence to debunk it. Yes, cold tires can be slick. Yes, new tires feel different than old tires. But at least some new tires can also benefit from a few easy miles to remove any possible surface coatings and establish a uniform surface roughness that interacts well with road surfaces.

It only takes a single case to the contrary to disprove the kind of absolute statements you have been making. The rest of us have provided several.
Louis Wambsganss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #74
Louis Wambsganss
Adventurer
 
Louis Wambsganss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
How does one "become" an entire field of study?
He is correct here as well. I am not a rocket science. I am not any kind of science. I am merely a man.
Louis Wambsganss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #75
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Littleton, CO
Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
How does one "become" an entire field of study?
BY being a complete jackass, apparently.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014