Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #76
jkdwings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Really enjoying following along, friend. I've got many friends in Oz and a lot of your pictures remind me of stories they've told. I'm curious what you're packing for media gear. Cameras, laptop, tripod (is that a Sirui, I see?), etc, and how you're carrying them.

Regards,

Jason
jkdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #77
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdwings View Post
I'm curious what you're packing for media gear. Cameras, laptop, tripod (is that a Sirui, I see?), etc, and how you're carrying them.

Regards,

Jason
Hi Jason
- for photos I have a Canon 550d, a cheap Medion waterproof and my phone stored in the tank bag and my pants
- for video a Gopro Hero 1
- a small laptop with a protective cover + a 1TB HDD in my luggage
- and you are right it is a Sirui tripod in my self build tripod tube

Greetings

Dominik

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #78
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by der-Seppel View Post
Port Lincoln

Right at the first evening at Walters Rock I received a message from Matty (desert dog) and Naz (nazza) ( www.sailadventure.com.au ) inviting me to visit them in Port Lincoln.

So, what are sinking about!

I haven't met Matty yet, Naz is looking heathy, good to see!
(yet)

dirt_bloke screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 01:19 PM
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #79
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Because we had no more success with fishing in the evening I went collecting mussels off the jetty poles the next morning. With Matty's help I nearly got two 10-litre buckets of mussels.

When Matty finished his appointments we loosened ropes and took of to sail through the Bosten Bay.
With Ani on dolphin watch it was really hard to miss a dolphin because she start barking as soon as they came near the boat.

When we arrived at our anchor point for the night we started fishing again but only Matty was lucky and caught a squid.

So it was pasta with mussels and squid for dinner yummy!
Because I said the evening before I wanted to climb the mast I had to do it.

Where am I ?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #80
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

The next morning we set sail again and casted the anchor around lunch time in a nice small bay. Matty was lucky again and caught another squid within a minute. Because we had squid left from the day before we had a big feed of squid for lunch.

Naz Blogpost about our trip http://www.sailadventure.com.au/anot...il-in-the-bay/

I had planed to leave Port Lincoln the next day but the weather forecast was bad and so I decided to stay a day longer. Matty took my for another bike ride to Lincoln National Park and showed me some spots I hadn't been to before.

For dinner we had a really great paella, I would call it the best I had have for a long time.
Matty got bag of mixed seafood and we had a lot of mussels leaved so we had perfect ingredients.

And it got even better Matty lit fire so we could eat the paella outside but at some stage it started raining and we had to get inside.

Because the weather was still bad the next morning I stayed until lunch, was feed with pizza and then actually left Port Lincoln.

Where am I ?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #81
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

As I got two presents from Naz when I left Port Lincoln I had to test them both.
Present number 1 was a fishing rode that Naz used previously on her motorcycle travels ( www.adventureriding.com.au ) and that was given to her as a present as well.

That is why my campsite for the next to days on my way north at the Eyre Peninsular needed to fulfil two criteria: being free and next to the ocean.
So I stayed at the free campground in Port Gibbon, an advice from Matty.
Unfortunately I had no success with fishing, maybe because I had no clue how to do it of the beach :)
But it went better with present number 2, a small set of herbs and spices.

When I leaved Naz and Matty we still hadn't eaten all the mussels so I took some with me as they where still fresh. So I had a nice feed for dinner.
The next day I had no luck with fish, again. But the grey nomads fed me with beer :)

Where am I ?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #82
dogtiredRAT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
I had to laugh at your arrow on your windscreen in the video you posted in post #43.
Hard riding on the wrong side of the road isn't it?

Be very careful crossing the street on foot, that will be your most dangerous adventure, the cars come from completely the wrong direction!
dogtiredRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #83
nckjms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
That fishing rod is neat, I've never seen one that collapses inside itself like that. Better luck with future fishing attempts!
nckjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #84
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtiredRAT View Post
I had to laugh at your arrow on your windscreen in the video you posted in post #43.
Hard riding on the wrong side of the road isn't it?

Be very careful crossing the street on foot, that will be your most dangerous adventure, the cars come from completely the wrong direction!
I am surprised how easy it is to adapt. Even on foot I don't look in the wrong direction anymore.

I think I will change the arrow to "Camelbak" - I had to buy the third one yesterday ...

Where am I ?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #85
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckjms View Post
Better luck with future fishing attempts!
Thank you, I had some training with another rod last weekend and caught 6 fish and 1 squid.

Where am I ?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #86
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

After two nights I leaved Port Gibbons and rode to Whyalla. Corinna a second cousin of my mother invited me to visit them.
When I arrived and rang the doorbell nothing happed so I walked around the house.
I found Corinna and Wayne building a new shed.

So I got out off my motorcycle gear and started helping them.

Corinna told me if I am operating a forklift in Australia it has to be Aussie style: drunken and with a beer in the hand :)

The next day we went out for a little tourist and fishing trip around the area.

The goal was to catch blue swimmer crabs and I have been successful.

After the catch I went for hike at this nice and natural but fenced meadows. There where this strange signs everywhere but I still have no clue what they mean, because of my bad English skills ;) ;) ;)

Although Matty had warned me not to eat anything out of the ocean near Whyalla the crabs were a nice meal. But I think it can't be that bad because there was even aqua farming in the area.

Where am I ?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #87
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Sorry for a little delay in the ride report but because of a heat wave I had to spend some time in the pool

Where am I ?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #88
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

On Monday morning I went on a 350 km ride in pissing down rain to get to Gawler near Adelaide.

Trev (Aussie Trev) invited me to visit Gawler and his mate Bernie had a room in his house for me to stay in. As soon as I arrived Trevor noticed the big dent in my front rim.

I got it while crossing the Nullarbor when I hit a stone in one of the gravel roads with lowered tire pressure and a 100 km/h. He told me I couldn't go on like that and started talking to people on the phone. We removed the front wheel from the bike to care about it the next day.

In the evening Trev and Bernie invited me to a local pub and I had my first Barramundi (fish) ever.

Where am I ?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #89
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

The next Trev drove me to Adelaide. First we went to the best tyre store in Adelaide to hear what the experts think about my front wheel. Their opinion: not to bad I could go on. So they did nothing with the wheel but I bought a oil filter for my bike and a new rain pants for me

Next we tried to get a new RokStrap because one of mien got damaged crossing the Nullarbor as well. But we had no success.
But I have been successful buying a new Dromedary water bag and collecting a parcel from Germany.

From Adelaide we went to Trevs mate Pete (PBee). He and his big nylon coated hammer wanted to try a special treatment on my front rim. Not only was Pete able to get a perfect job done with the dent he also did an absolutely precise balancing job. It took in fact long to balance the wheel than removing the dent :)

Of course I had to leave one of my stickers in Petes shed.

After Pete had finished the wheel we had a beer around the "barrel of knowledge“.

Where am I ?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #90
nckjms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
That dent didn't look like it would be too terrible to repair with proper knowledge, but I'm surprised it was still holding air, pretty lucky there!
nckjms is offline   Reply With Quote