Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
Advice needed for South Africa

Hi,
Planning to ship a bike from Europe to South Africa and then ride around for a few months. Please advice if you have shipped a bike to South Africa - need info on the process and costs involved.
thanks
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Rober
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Get in touch with DHL Global Forwarding, they can help you with this kind of things, I don't thing they will be cheap, if i was doing something like that i will certainly think about using them.
Rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 600
There will probably be something here http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/get...pping-the-bike

I have shipped my bike to SA from the UK in 2007 so I doubt that information is any use and out of date, but you do need a carnet de passage, insurance is not compulsory and I never had any but you might want to look into some, also check that your medical insurance covers you for motorcycling. I am not sure if US driving licence is valid there, UK is but I took an international licence anyway.

A great country for motorcycling and easy access to neighbours, Namibia, Lesotho and Mozambique all worth a visit, you should have a great trip, just remember all of these countries drive on the left.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth

Mark Manley screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:18 PM Reason: more info
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
WTR500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Shipped our bikes in 2011 from the Netherlands to Capetown. We went for a groupage container, and used the compagny Ziegler. Costs 550 euro single trip. Make sure the wooden box is as little as possible. Because of a groupage container you pay for the volume. Also there are handling costs in Capetown. About 400 euro extra i think. For a 1000 euro you have a one way trip for one bike. If you go with other people, then its cheaper to take 20ft container. About 1750 euro, but way cheaper handling costs. Hope this helps.Just call different compagnies and ask for their prices.
WTR500 is offline   Reply With Quote