Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #1561
Iron Sight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hope your mailing address is still the same?
Iron Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #1562
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Sight View Post
Hope your mailing address is still the same?
Yup, address is still the same!
That would have been awful if I would have had to move out since I posted my address 10 days ago.
But then again, stuff keeps happening here on my side, so maybe not such a strange question after all!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #1563
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,118
Welcome to Awesome Alaska!

I realize I'm a little late welcoming you to our piece of heaven up here, but it's better late than never. I haven't read all of your posts, but a couple of items you mentioned I can totally relate to. I am very particular at selecting parking spots, and sometimes go forward and backward and kick holes in the dirt to accommodate my kickstand. When I ride with AlcanRider, he shakes his head in wonderment. But some people just don't understand the importance of executing the fine art of finding just the perfect parking spot! Sometimes delicacy and finesse is required, which women probably excel at more than men.

You also mentioned your bike was pretty squirrely in the dirt. I rode a friend's KLR down to Skagway this past summer and I ended up almost hating that bike. I test-rode it a couple of times before I left and it performed fine. I named it Bolivar the KLR. However, after I loaded my camping gear on it, the front end was very squirrely and acted like the front wheel was going to wobble off. It wasn't too bad if I rode the speed limit or just under, but in strong winds and on dirt the wobbling scared the heck out of me. I realize it wasn't the bike's fault it behaved so wretchedly, but I ended up giving him the name "El Diablo," which was appropriate. I was relieved to finally get on the ferry and called my friend in Juneau and told him HE had to ride his motorcycle home when we arrived in Juneau.

I may possibly head up to Fairbanks in March or April to do some backcountry ski touring with some friends. I'll let you know if I make it up there. Good luck finding steady employment. Fairbanks is an expensive place to live, especially in the winter.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #1564
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives View Post
It wasn't too bad if I rode the speed limit or just under, but in strong winds and on dirt the wobbling scared the heck out of me.
That's probably due to the front fender! Once I made and installed my fender brace, I had no wobble-trouble anymore!
Thank you for the Christmas cards, I received them yesterday (All 7!!) It made my wall so much more X-massy
Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #1565
NomadGal OP
Esther

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
I received a card from Chris and Sarah R with a photo of their twins on it. Awesome! Thank you so much.
Then my friend Carla from Silver City New Mexico made me a wonderful card (with glitter!), that just touched my heart
And to top it off, I got an envelope with 7 Christmas cards from Amy (HayDuchessLives) LOL, that started filling up my wall in no time! Must be the Alaskan way Thanks so much Amy, that just made my day

My brother Stan (Ffloyd111) send me a steering wheel stabilizer. It looks like a sic-fi contraption.

I hope it will fit under the crossbar of the handlebar. I'll let you know next year what I think of it.
Thanks so much Stan! Love you and say hi to Rikki and Fela
Old 12-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #1566
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

My brother Stan (Ffloyd111) send me a steering wheel stabilizer. It looks like a sic-fi contraption.
I'm still reading your blog, NG, and enjoying it. I'm glad you got the steering 'BAR' stabilizer for Spirit. I have a bike with one of those on it that I've never ridden. Maybe you can tell me what that sweep adjustment screw does, if you get around to reading the instructions. TIA.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #1567
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,912
I mailed mine last week, hope you get it before christmas
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #1568
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
I'm still reading your blog, NG, and enjoying it. I'm glad you got the steering 'BAR' stabilizer for Spirit. I have a bike with one of those on it that I've never ridden. Maybe you can tell me what that sweep adjustment screw does, if you get around to reading the instructions. TIA.
I will let you know for sure!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #1569
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
I mailed mine last week, hope you get it before christmas
I'm sure it will, and if by any chance it doesn't that's ok too, I will keep them on the wall until I leave anyways!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #1570
NomadGal OP
Esther

My Christmas wall is definitely expanding!
Every day a few more postcards reach me, and I find myself eagerly running to the mailbox. Sometimes however my landlord made it before I did, which means he grabbed all of the mail, and I have to wait until he remembers that he has it in the back of his truck! Can't say I'm all too happy about that arrangement, so I'm hoping that he hasn't lost any of my mail!
Thank you so much for the new cards:
Bob C (Trailsguy KLRWorld)
Terry B (Gunny KLRWorld)
Shane ( _anatic ADV)
Tom R (CharlestonADV)
Got2Moto (ADV) for the card and the gift inside
John and Nancy (JRP on ADV)
Robert J (Zephyr ADV ) for the card and the gift inside
Brad (RideHotLime ADV) Thanks for the cards and the moto magazine!
Dave (Drogo on ADV)
Dean and Michelle ( DeanMan ADV)
Becky and Carl (my in-laws)
Kim (s3a ADV)
Steve, (Sqiffynimrod ADV)
Glenn and Barbara D from ADV for the card and the gift inside
Ann,( NinjaDance ADV), for card and the emergency the sunshine sprinkles and ornament
And a special thank you to John, Iron Sight for the Christmas presents. How did you know I liked Earl Grey tea and needed a tea egg?? I loved the chocolate covered raisins too (That I know how you knew) I really liked your card so I took a video of it. Unfortunately the youtube edit messed it up somehow.

I also just finished crocheting my daughter Tamara a poke ball beanie. She had wanted one for a while, so I thought it to be a cool little Christmas present. Hopefully she'll get it before then.
She lives in California and works at a floral shop, and does modeling on the side.
I love a lot of the photos they take of her, but this one is my favorite. She made the feather pieces herself

There are a lot of cool photos on Adam's site with her. I'm hoping she'll land a lot more photo shoots. She likes the artistic shoots the best.

I'm not working much at all, same old problem, and nothing got resolved.
Part of me is hesitant to take on another job, not sure why, but a gut feeling is holding me back.
Next week the education co-ordinator will be on vacation, so I'm taking over her job and hours for 14 days.

I got a nice surprise today!
Out of the blue my neighbor upstairs knocks on my door and hands me George's car keys, and told me that George wants me to start the car once a day. George is in Arizona until the 22nd.
Turns out that Ken, my upstairs neighbor, was let go from his job, and he decided that he didn't want to be in Fairbanks or Alaska anymore, and is moving back to Montana.
You're probably asking yourself why that was a nice surprise…… Well, guess who makes such a racket at night and once he gets home? No more TV, talking loudly on the phone, and stomping and floor creaking above my head for a while. It's not his fault really, just paper thin floor boards above my head. I feel bad about him having been sacked, but a while back I remember thinking how I wished nobody lived above me. I'm guessing I got my wish!!
Hopefully no one will rent it for a while or longer. and hopefully a quieter person will move into the apartment if it does get rented.
He is leaving tomorrow, so I will have a quieter X-mas! Yay!

Then on another note……
Just to set the record straight, here in Fairbanks Alaska, can't say about Nome or other northern places, the days aren't totally dark in the winter. So far it gets light around ten-ish, and starts darkening around three. The sun never makes it more than and inch or so above the horizon, but we do have about 5 hours of day light. It looks like sunset a lot, but still light.
Once the full moon is up in the sky the snow sparkles and lights up the area so much that you don't even need a flash light. Very pretty!
Well, enough for a while, I hope the video makes it on my report. If not I have to figure out what i did wrong.

NomadGal screwed with this post 12-22-2013 at 12:04 PM
Old 12-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #1571
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
Gorgeous daughter.. awesome eyes.

Tomorrow is the Solstice !!!!! Next day will be longer !
You've made it halfway through !
Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #1572
Arte
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,503
Wishing you a happy Merry Christmas Nomadgal!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #1573
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
Merry Christmas and Solstice to Nomad (and everyone) !

Hope you see spectacular northern lights in Fairbanks.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/ga...norway-lapland
Old 12-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #1574
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 363
My card must be in the back of your landlord's truck. Anyway...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...hope you had a wonderful Winter Solstice.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #1575
Gedrog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thumb Happy Trails

I accidently stumbled across this ride report and I was impressed.
I have been a year in the planning of a lifelong dream of an epic journey of my own. Getting the bike ready and slowly acquiring all the things I will need. More encouraging is all the practical advice that a live ride report like this provides. More encouraging is the seeing how you are doing it on a virtual shoe string budget showing the rest of us how it should be done and that we do not need a huge budget to accomplish a dream.

Here is to you gal A merry Christmas and a happy new year and may fortune favour the brave. Wishing you luck that you may find a steady job to continue your adventure.
Gedrog is offline   Reply With Quote