User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,888
Most excellent, thanks!

I grew up in Macon and began riding around most of the center of your box in the late 60s - continued to explore the central areas all my life. I've ridden some of your route over time, but never thought of doing the perimeter concept. Great idea!

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Mighty fine RR there, Rutabaga! Enjoyed it much! P.S.-We all need to get together & eat again...
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #18
Rutabaga OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Most excellent, thanks!

I grew up in Macon and began riding around most of the center of your box in the late 60s - continued to explore the central areas all my life. I've ridden some of your route over time, but never thought of doing the perimeter concept. Great idea!
Thanks for reading. Pretty area up around Macon. Recently came by car from Peachtree City area to Macon and had a sandwich in downtown on a Sunday morn. Neat downtown area. Looks like it is on the way back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTuner View Post
Mighty fine RR there, Rutabaga! Enjoyed it much! P.S.-We all need to get together & eat again...
Indeed, we do need another get together. Thanks for the atta boy.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
New2Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
I live in Hilton head and parents in ATL and friends in Athens..this could be a good ride too do :)

Thanks for posting!

I notice your starting point is close to me, know of any good over night loops in the area?

or even day trips, I just got my first bike and dont have any racks or bags on it yet
New2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #20
Rutabaga OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Moto View Post
I live in Hilton head and parents in ATL and friends in Athens..this could be a good ride too do :)

Thanks for posting!

I notice your starting point is close to me, know of any good over night loops in the area?

or even day trips, I just got my first bike and dont have any racks or bags on it yet
Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed a " local" ride. Your idea of HHI, ATL and Athens sounds great. You might try a local run up to Hunting Island State Park for an overnight work the kinks out type trip. Remember you are going to pack and unpack every twelve hours so plan accordingly. I prefer state parks because they are predictably reliable, easy to find and patrolled. Will PM with some local info.

For those ADVriders in the area or vacationing on Hilton Head, New2Moto has a wonderful Natural foods stand at the Bluffton,SC farmers market on Thursdays.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #21
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,345
Outstanding report!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #22
Rutabaga OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
Outstanding report!
Thanks for taking the time to read it and respond. Been up in your area several times for the Canadian Finals Rodeo in Edmonton(that November cold is way out of my league) and in Calgary for the Stampede. Pretty country where you live.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #23
br6ppc
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Great RR of a trip which I might get around to one day. You came right through my home turf on the ride back home. I'm just very disappointed you missed my hometown, the BIG city of Rhine between Abbeville and Milan. Just kidding, if you blink, you'll miss it.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #24
wheelbender6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Thanks for the pics and report. I grew up in Georgia, an hour from Atlanta. Left when I went in the Marines. I only make it back there every couple of years.
I did a lot of off road riding in GA in the 70s, but never did much street riding. Falling on the red clay hurts about like falling on pavement.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #25
Rutabaga OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by br6ppc View Post
Great RR of a trip which I might get around to one day. You came right through my home turf on the ride back home. I'm just very disappointed you missed my hometown, the BIG city of Rhine between Abbeville and Milan. Just kidding, if you blink, you'll miss it.
Thanks for the note. I won't lie to you about remembering Rhine, I had to get out my Georgia Gazetteer to find Rhine. I faintly recall the area because I am always associating the names of towns or sites with places I have been elsewhere in the world. (Rhine River) That run across Ga. on Hwy 280 through all the small towns and farmland was just wonderful. Glad I got to see your part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Thanks for the pics and report. I grew up in Georgia, an hour from Atlanta. Left when I went in the Marines. I only make it back there every couple of years.
I did a lot of off road riding in GA in the 70s, but never did much street riding. Falling on the red clay hurts about like falling on pavement.
Yea, dry red clay isn't great for sliding. Fortunately I haven't fallen lately. I have tried many times over the years explaining to my wife the boyhood joys of wadding up red clay, making dirt balls, and having a dirt ball fight. She fails to grasp the "fun" part of it, a point mostly clear only to young boys.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #26
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,143
Enjoyed your report, Rutabaga! You have a wonderful writing style.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:35 AM   #27
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 820
Love the pictures! I've done quite a bit of work in Savannah; it's one of my favorite cities in the U.S. Historic and beautiful. Not a fan of all the no-see-ums in the summer though, or the stink of the paper mills. If you cross over the US 17 bridge at low tide, look upstream when you go over Back River as you cross the state line. Pretty neat, early 20th century shipwreck about 50 feet from the bridge on the shore of Hutchinson Island.
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #28
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Josh View Post
Love the pictures! I've done quite a bit of work in Savannah; it's one of my favorite cities in the U.S. Historic and beautiful. Not a fan of all the no-see-ums in the summer though, or the stink of the paper mills. If you cross over the US 17 bridge at low tide, look upstream when you go over Back River as you cross the state line. Pretty neat, early 20th century shipwreck about 50 feet from the bridge on the shore of Hutchinson Island.
I think that is an old wooden tug. Also, From the Westin Hotel downstream to it's end, the island is lined with old vessels taken out of commission and placed along the shore to help in erosion control. That section of the river is called the Wrecks Channel on the chart. Oops. Nobody asked. Sorry.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #29
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
I think that is an old wooden tug.
It was originally thought to be a Confederate ship. We excavated it in 2008 or 9. Turns out it was a 3 masted sailing ship, brought up the channel and burned, probably for scrap metal. Not a whole lot left on her.
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #30
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Josh View Post
It was originally thought to be a Confederate ship. We excavated it in 2008 or 9. Turns out it was a 3 masted sailing ship, brought up the channel and burned, probably for scrap metal. Not a whole lot left on her.
Thanks. I didn't know about that one. Part of the boiler of the tug that I mentioned, is sometimes exposed, well a few years ago it was. BTW, I once hauled a group of marine archeologists and or historians around that area on one of two boats. We went to many locations where something "once was." .