ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #226
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
Thanks TSimmons! You got a nice haul there! Looks like you logged a lot of seat time between the tags and courthouses this trip.

yep! close to 1000 miles between Friday and Saturday. That Russell day long seat has proven to be worth the expense!
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #227
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 11,327
Bump!
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #228
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 231
Bump bump bump in the night..... What's your point?

Ha ha ha

sent from my droid maxx with tapatalk...
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #229
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 231
Now your talking.....
And I thought you were focused on courthouses and railway stations...



sent from my droid maxx with tapatalk...
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #230
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 11,327
Emanuel County - Swainsborow, GA



Could not locate Historical Marker.



History

The County was created on December 10, 1812, by an act of the Georgia General Assembly from land originally in parts of Bulloch and Montgomery counties. Emanuel County is named in honor of former Governor of Georgia David Emanuel.

Portions of Johnson (1858), Jenkins (1905), Toombs (1905), Candler (1914), and Treutlen (1918) counties were taken from Emanuel's original borders.

Courthouses:
Emanuel County has had seven courthouses in its 200 years of existence. In the county's early years, the court met at Steven Rich's home. Emanuel County's first courthouse was erected in 1814 and burned in 1841. It wasn't until 1854, the same time that the city of Swainsboro was formally incorporated, that the county was allowed to build a replacement. In a string of bad luck, this new courthouse burned in 1855 and was replaced by another courthouse, which burned in 1857. Emanuel County's fourth courthouse burned in 1919 and was replaced by a three-story brick structure which, characteristically, burned in 1938. The next courthouse, a two-story marble structure, was built in 1940 and was the first courthouse in Emanuel County's history not to be destroyed by fire. However, by the 1990s, the courthouse's cramped and deteriorating condition caused several county offices to vacate the courthouse and move into vacant office space surrounding the courthouse square. The courthouse was demolished in the spring of 2000, leaving only the sheriff's office annex. In the late 1990s, the Emanuel County commissioners purchased the former U.S. Post Office building, which was built in 1936, to serve as an interim courthouse. In 2000, the county commission acquired land adjacent to the old Post Office to build a new courthouse and sheriff's office. Emanuel County's current courthouse, a large, single story brick structure incorporating the old Post Office building, was completed in 2002, and a city square was built on the former courthouse site with the old sheriff's office renovated to serve as the city's visitors' center as well as the office for Swainsboro-Emanuel County Chamber of Commerce.
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #231
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 11,327
Candler County - Metter, GA













History:
On July 14, 1914, the General Assembly proposed a constitutional amendment to create Candler County from portions of Bulloch, Emanuel, and Tattnall counties (Ga. Laws 1914, p. 29). In that year’s general election, Georgia voters ratified the proposed amendment on Nov. 3, 1914, which marks the official date of the Candler County’s creation (although a state historical marker on the courthouse grounds incorrectly cites the county’s creation as the day the legislative act proposing the constitutional amendment was approved).

According to the boundaries spelled out in the 1914 constitutional amendment, Candler County was created . Georgia’s 150th county was named for former governor Allen D. Candler (1834-1910), who had died four years earlier.

Why was Candler County created by constitutional amendment instead of an act of the General Assembly? In 1904, Georgia voters had approved a constitutional amendment limiting the number of counties in the state to 145. The next year, the General Assembly created eight new counties, bringing the total number to 145—the constitutional limit. Nevertheless, there was continuing pressure to create more counties. Beginning in 1906, lawmakers got around the 145-county limitation by creating new counties through constitutional amendments that were not subject to the limitation. By 1924, Georgia had 161 counties—16 of which had been created by constitutional amendment. On Jan. 1, 1932, Milton and Campbell counties merged with Fulton, leaving 159 counties. In 1945, Georgia voters ratified a new constitution—one which provided an absolute limit of 159 counties, with an additional provision that no new country could be created except through consolidation of existing counties.

As an interesting note, Candler is one of 25 Georgia counties that today retain their original boundaries from the time of creation.

jub jub screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 08:52 AM
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #232
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 11,327
Evans County - Claxton, GA









History
On Aug. 11, 1914, the General Assembly proposed a constitutional amendment to create Evans County from Bulloch and Tattnall counties (Ga. Laws 1914, p. 33). In that year’s general election, Georgia voters ratified the proposed amendment on Nov. 3, 1914, which marks the official date of Evans County’s creation (although a state historical marker on the courthouse grounds incorrectly cites the county’s creation as the day the legislative act proposing the constitutional amendment was approved).

According to the 1914 constitutional amendment, Candler County was created from portions of Bulloch and Tattnall counties with the following boundaries:

Commencing at a point known as Johnson’s Old Ferry on the Canoochee River and running thence in a southwesterly direction along the boundary line between Liberty and Tattnall Counties to a point known as the Ford on Canoochee Creek; thence in a westerly direction, a straight line to Jennie; thence a westerly direction a straight line to Roger’s Crossing, at the intersection of the Bellville and Reidsville Roads; thence in a northerly direction in a straight line to a point on the Seaboard Air Line Railway, half way between the towns of Bellville and Manassas, thence northerly in the same direction in a straight line until it intersects the line of the proposed county of Candler, thence along said line to the Canoochee River, thence in a southerly direction down the Canoochee River to Kennedy’s Bridge, thence in an easterly direction along the public road leading from Kennedy’s Bridge to Ada Belle on the Register and Glennville Railroad; thence in an easterly direction along the old Dublin Road, to the right-of-way of the old Dublin Railroad bed; thence in a southeasterly direction down said right-of-way to Scott’s Creek, thence in the same direction down Scott’s Creek to its mouth in Lott’s Creek, thence in a southerly direction down Lott’s Creek to its mouth into Canoochee River; and from thence down Canoochee River in a southeasterly direction to the starting point at Johnson’s Ferry.

Why was Evans County created by constitutional amendment instead of an act of the General Assembly? In 1904, Georgia voters had approved a constitutional amendment limiting the number of counties in the state to 145. The next year, the General Assembly created eight new counties, bringing the total number to 145—the constitutional limit. Nevertheless, there was continuing pressure to create more counties. Beginning in 1906, lawmakers got around the 145-county limitation by creating new counties through constitutional amendments that were not subject to the limitation. By 1924, Georgia had 161 counties—16 of which had been created by constitutional amendment. On Jan. 1, 1932, Milton and Campbell counties merged with Fulton, leaving 159 counties. In 1945, Georgia voters ratified a new constitution—one which provided an absolute limit of 159 counties, with an additional provision that no new country could be created except through consolidation of existing counties.

Georgia’s 150th county was named for former Confederate general Clement A. Evans (1833-1911), who had died three years earlier.

jub jub screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 08:57 AM
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #233
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 11,327
Bryan County - Pembroke GA









History
Bryan was one of five counties created by an act of the General Assembly approved on Dec. 19, 1793 [and in terms of order listed in the act was Georgia’s 19th county]. Created from portions of Chatham County, it was named for Jonathan Bryan (1708-1788). Born in South Carolina, Bryan had close ties to Georgia from the arrival of the first colonists in 1733. He became noted for his support of colonists’ rights in Georgia, and during the Revolution Bryan was captured and imprisoned by the British.

In 1794, a portion of Effingham County was transferred to Bryan County. A portion of Bryan County was used to create Bulloch County in 1796. Also, a portion of Bryan County was transferred to Chatham County in 1847

jub jub screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 08:56 AM
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #234
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 11,327
Chatham County - Savannah, GA


One of the most Plain Jane courthouses I've seen.

Could not locate historical marker.



History
The land that would form Chatham County was ceded to the English by the Creeks in the Treaty of Savannah on May 21, 1733, confirmed and expanded by agreements of 1735 and 1736. In 1741, the Trustees of Georgia divided the colony into two counties, Savannah and Frederica.

The County of Savannah included all of present-day Chatham County southward to the Ogeechee River. This division only lasted a year, as the Trustees in 1742 named William Stephens as president of the entire colony. After the Trustees surrendered their charter in 1752, Georgia became a royal colony. By an act of March 15, 1758, the colonial legislature created seven parishes. With the outbreak of the American Revolution, Whig forces took control of government in Georgia.

On Feb. 5, 1777, they adopted the state’s first constitution, the Constitution of 1777. Art. IV of that document transformed the existing colonial parishes into seven counties, with Indian ceded lands forming an eighth county. Chatham County, which was fifth on the list and thus is considered Georgia’s fifth county, consisted of all of Christ Church Parish and that part of Saint Philip Parish south of the Canoochee River. The county was named in honor of William Pitt, the first Earl of Chatham. Pitt (1708-1778) was British Prime Minister during the French and Indian War. Later, he opposed the Stamp Act and was a popular figure in the American counties.

In 1793, the legislature created Bryan County from the western portion of Chatham County. In 1850, land from Effingham County was annexed to Chatham.

jub jub screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 08:53 AM
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #235
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 11,327
Effingham County - Springfield, GA


Sorry about the pic. The sun was right at rooftop level.


This is the way a modern courthouse should look. Very impressive structure!


Pic of the back side!


The old courthouse stands right next door. Now a museum! Way to preserve the history!





History
The land that would form Effingham County was ceded to the English by the Creeks in the Treaty of Savannah on May 21, 1733, confirmed and expanded by agreements of 1735 and 1736. By an act of March 15, 1758, the colonial legislature created seven parishes. The area of present-day Effingham County primarily fell in St. Matthews Parish, which stretched along the Savannah River north of Savannah. With the outbreak of the American Revolution, Whig forces took control of government in Georgia. On Feb. 5, 1777, they adopted the state’s first constitution—the Constitution of 1777. Art. IV of that document transformed the existing colonial parishes into seven counties, with Indian ceded lands forming an eighth county. Effingham County, which was fourth on the list and thus is considered Georgia’s fourth county, consisted of all of Saint Matthew Parish and that part of Saint Philip Parish north of the Canoochee River. The county was named for Lord Effingham, an English nobleman who championed the rights of the American colonies.

In 1793, the legislature created Screven County from portions of Effingham and Burke counties. Land from Effingham County also was used to enlarge Bryan County (1794) and Chatham County (1850).

jub jub screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 08:54 AM
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #236
GAVic
Studly Adventurer
 
GAVic's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Middle GA
Oddometer: 576
Washington County

Sandersville GA







Architecture Style: High Victorian with Second Empire clock tower

Date Built 1868-69

Court was first held in a private residence until a log cabin was built to serve as courthouse in Warthen until 1796. That year the county seat moved to Sandersville and a new courthouse was erected. It served until 1855, when it (and most of the town) was destroyed by fire. A brick courthouse was built the following year. Confederate soldiers fired from this building at Sherman's advancing army, so he had this courthouse burned in retaliation. After the Civil War court sessions were held in a store building, until the current courthouse was completed in 1869. An addition to the courthouse was built in 1899, followed by another addition in 1939. The courthouse was renovated 1970-73, and partially rehabilitated in 1987.
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #237
GAVic
Studly Adventurer
 
GAVic's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Middle GA
Oddometer: 576
Glascock County

Gibson GA







Architecture Style: Neoclassically derived

Designer: J.W. McMillian & Son

Date Built 1919

This is Glascock County's second courthouse. The first was built in 1858 with a donation from William Gibson -- after whom the county seat is named. When the current courthouse was constructed, the old structure was removed intact and became a private residence. The courthouse was remodeled and expanded in 1942, and the interior was extensively renovated in 1973.
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #238
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 11,327
Thanks Mike!
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #239
tsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tsimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Macon County GA
Oddometer: 231
Anyone have courthouse hunting plans this weekend?
__________________
Travis
tsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #240
jub jub OP
frumiousbandersnatch
 
jub jub's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Central, GA
Oddometer: 11,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmons View Post
Anyone have courthouse hunting plans this weekend?
I thought if I were to get the tag I would grab Cowetta and some of the surrounding counties to the east.

Looks like Saturday AM will be a little chilly.
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014