ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #31
MostlyLurking
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'm still in the process of deciding how to go, as I have a malfunctioning Garmin Oregon 300 and an iPhone 5s.

I'm exclusively a road rider, so my criteria may be different to yours. But I am looking at the following:

1. Can it cope in sub-zero temperatures? The iPhone may struggle, but it is hard to quantify, because although it is not supposed to operate under zero celsius, it would always be in a waterproof (insulating) mount, and it generates heat while running satnav software. I found Co-pilot to be good. So unless I ride in say -5c I should be OK. Then I am worried about higher temperatures in the summer.

2. Ease of operation. I don't really need to operate it with gloves, but I'd prefer not to have to take it out of the case.

3. Ease of mounting. Can I just take it off, or do I have to unzip it from a case, or remove the normal case to mount it in a shockproof case?

4. Will it get stolen? I have left my satnav on the bike a few times by mistake. It would have been expensive if it had been stolen, but not half as disruptive as if my iPhone had been left on the bike and stolen. I think a thief might leave the satnav, but take an iPhone, so much as the iPhone can do most of what I want (albeit with smallish display readout), I can't risk leaving it on the bike. It's a cost/inconvenience/security thing.

Bottom line: I would prefer a dedicated waterproof satnav that can operate in -10c. Despite the problems some people have had, I am considering the Garmin 350LM because it is starting to get heavily discounted.
MostlyLurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #32
rlmankins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Smart phone vs gps

I use my samsung s3 most of the time with sygic. Amazing the level of detail and the dirt trails on it. Easy to use and have a 64 gig mini sd card so have complete maps downloaded for all of North America so works when no cell phone signal.
I do carry my iPad, and a nuvi with me also. iPad is great for planning my route, which seems to change daily depending on conditions and local information. The nuvi is the easiest to work with just limited in flexibility, but it is cheap and rugged.
Smartphone beats everything on road. With 4 mapping programs installed, poi finders, pandora, mpegs, Internet, and you tube and anything else you may need for info in a small waterproof package it is hard to beat. I forgot to add, with a 10 mpg camera takes pretty good video.
Still find that a combination of a map (topo for off road and street for on road) in the tank bag and gps is impossible to beat.

So my solution which is complicated works well for me. I always do as much research and route planning before I leave home as I can but it never is enough.

Just my 2 cents worth
rlmankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmankins View Post
I use my samsung s3 most of the time with sygic. Amazing the level of detail and the dirt trails on it. Easy to use and have a 64 gig mini sd card so have complete maps downloaded for all of North America so works when no cell phone signal.
I do carry my iPad, and a nuvi with me also. iPad is great for planning my route, which seems to change daily depending on conditions and local information. The nuvi is the easiest to work with just limited in flexibility, but it is cheap and rugged.
Smartphone beats everything on road. With 4 mapping programs installed, poi finders, pandora, mpegs, Internet, and you tube and anything else you may need for info in a small waterproof package it is hard to beat. I forgot to add, with a 10 mpg camera takes pretty good video.
Still find that a combination of a map (topo for off road and street for on road) in the tank bag and gps is impossible to beat.

So my solution which is complicated works well for me. I always do as much research and route planning before I leave home as I can but it never is enough.

Just my 2 cents worth
Are you able to plan your route on your ipad, then transfer to your S3?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #34
rlmankins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
route planning

I am kind of old fashioned. I use my Ipad with google maps for my initial plan. then go to satellite view to look at the track ( if I have signal ) then mark it out on the paper map to put in the tank bag.
If I am not familiar with an area I just do not trust the off road gps tracks enough to blindly go where it tells me. Mostly use the gps for situational awareness. On road I am perfectly ok with following its directions, then Sygis or my nuvi both have perfectly adequate route planning, but I still look at my paper map.
So far Sygis has had every back road I have been on, even some that have not been travelled in years, very surprising.
I have got to do some unforgettable exploring while following some of Garmins routes. Learned the hard way to always have a paper map.

That said I have been playing with some offroad route planning for transfer to my phone, but I will still have my paper maps
rlmankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #35
UKbri
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 156
The Sygic looks really good. Would I be able to get it on my Sony Ericsson Xperia for free and where from ?
Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #36
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKbri View Post
The Sygic looks really good. Would I be able to get it on my Sony Ericsson Xperia for free and where from ?
Android market
Old 12-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #37
UKbri
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Android market
It's telling me it's about $60. My phone is about 3/4 years old. I don't think it's man enough to handle all that data.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #38
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's telling me it's about $60. My phone is about 3/4 years old. I don't think it's man enough to handle all that data.
Sorry, it was free once, or I got a special price or something... thus is another reason why having root and titanium backup are good things.... my apps follow me from phone to phone, just like they were yesterday.

Try osmand or oruxmaps, they run on older phones fine
Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #39
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
For on-road, try CoPilot. There is a free version, but to get all the bells & whistles, the paid version only runs maybe $20-30. You have the option of downloading just the states/regions you need so you can save on space.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #40
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 765
I have Sygic running along with DSM on my Galaxy S4. Sygic is more of a road GPS than anything else. It has all the bells and whistles and similar to a Garmin road gps unit such as a Nuvi. I use it when I need a offline GPS in a pinch and don't want to incur data by using the built in Verizon GPS on my phone.

Sygic is running a special for anyone interested in this app. It works OK for a road GPS. I have not figured out how to plan routes on this app. Tracks are not possible.

http://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now

Jon
Old 12-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
ChrisMac
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I use MotionX GPS with the HitCase Pro for iPhone 5. Love it. So easy to load tracks, even while riding (anytime you have cell service you can get more tracks, even from this forum). And so far have had zero reliability issues (seems like my friends with the Garmin Montana set ups are always rebooting, or having track loading issues, or being bummed they don't have their laptop at base camp to load more tracks). I am sure there are benefits to the Garmin, but I won't be experiencing them personally anytime soon because I can't imagine dropping the money on the Garmin ($400+), the crash-resistant mount ($400+), and the installation/ connection to the battery (i'm not electrically handy so I'm imagining $50 to a mechanic for the labor).

I have contemplated adding power to my phone from the battery... but so far doesn't seem worth the hassle considering I can make my phone battery last 4+ hours in GPS mode and carry a $30 external battery just in case I need a quick recharge.

Also, it is easy to add satellite imagery for offline use for $5. To do this with Garmin costs $30 and you need to have a compatible device. I find the satellite imagery hugely helpful places with many single track trails going in all directions.

Bummer is, if you don't have an iPhone, MotionX GPS is not available on android at the moment, and it sounds like the Garmin software is not nearly as good as MotionX (I have only played with the Garmin App a little but it seems expensive and not as feature rich). But I am sure there are other droid apps out there that are as good or better than MotionX?

Here is a more detailed article I wrote on my set up: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/a/1116...-for-Under-150

ChrisMac screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 10:46 AM
ChrisMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #42
barchem
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I am here in Australia on Christmas morning and waiting to start work - so I am filling in time and came across this thread . I have an iphone 5 with a lifeproof case and lifeproof handle bar mount with MotionX GPS loaded - for those here in Aus how much of my data downloads running the GPS programme will use - I am with Telstra

Merry Christmas to all

Barchem:
barchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #43
ChrisMac
n00b

Oddometer: 9
If you are worried about going over your cellular data limit, I would just pre-download maps and then turn off the cellular data when riding (gps will still work). Here is the how to http://support.motionx.com/motionx-g...nloading-maps/
ChrisMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #44
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMac View Post
I use MotionX GPS with the HitCase Pro for iPhone 5. Love it. So easy to load tracks, even while riding (anytime you have cell service you can get more tracks, even from this forum). And so far have had zero reliability issues (seems like my friends with the Garmin Montana set ups are always rebooting, or having track loading issues, or being bummed they don't have their laptop at base camp to load more tracks). I am sure there are benefits to the Garmin, but I won't be experiencing them personally anytime soon because I can't imagine dropping the money on the Garmin ($400+), the crash-resistant mount ($400+), and the installation/ connection to the battery (i'm not electrically handy so I'm imagining $50 to a mechanic for the labor).

I have contemplated adding power to my phone from the battery... but so far doesn't seem worth the hassle considering I can make my phone battery last 4+ hours in GPS mode and carry a $30 external battery just in case I need a quick recharge.

Also, it is easy to add satellite imagery for offline use for $5. To do this with Garmin costs $30 and you need to have a compatible device. I find the satellite imagery hugely helpful places with many single track trails going in all directions.

Bummer is, if you don't have an iPhone, MotionX GPS is not available on android at the moment, and it sounds like the Garmin software is not nearly as good as MotionX (I have only played with the Garmin App a little but it seems expensive and not as feature rich). But I am sure there are other droid apps out there that are as good or better than MotionX?

Here is a more detailed article I wrote on my set up: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/a/1116...-for-Under-150

Osmand and osmand+ (the donate option), sygic, and oruxmaps are all in par with motionx. The Apple stuff always has more polish visually, but these apps are great.

The next level up is LocusPro, which is literally levels of better in options, but bogs me down with so much like geocaching, navigation, uploading, and tons of plugins all in one.

So far:
Osmand+ or sygic for navigation
Oruxmaps for route planning, route CHANGING, tracking, waypoints, photo waypoints, and offroading.

Osmand doors a good job of tracking I just prefer oruxmaps interface.

Since you use an iPhone, check out Vidometer, the android equal is AlaprecorderHD. NEAT STUFF!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #45
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyLurking View Post
2. Ease of operation. I don't really need to operate it with gloves, but I'd prefer not to have to take it out of the case.
You can use a capacitive pen. Or use an Android device (I have a Galaxy Note 2) with a Wacom pen, which works through quite a bit of material.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote