ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #796
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Well, I bit the bullet and did a Factory Reset on my Monterra. This is not something that should be done without exploring all other avenues as it is quite destructive regarding your data and Apps. Meaning they all get removed. I spent the past three hours reinstalling Apps and Data to my Monterra, BUT the Compass is now within a reasonable proximity of alignment.
I know there is a recommended backup method (I'll have to look it up), but can you recommend (sorry if repeat) the best program to use prior to factory reset or for general backup precaution?

thank you
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #797
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
Gosh, I have kept my Monterra away because I couldnt use it at all before.
Now after the recent updates I just tried activating som old routes I have arround that worked perfect on my 276C, no joy. In best case it just crashes, otherwise it locks up and asks if I lime to quit or wait.

I cant belive how bad this unit works.
The only thing I can do is activate a track and remember to select visible on map. Then I can sort of navigate after it.
Further, it seems to disconnect itself from wifi at random, only solution is to switch off and on wifi.

Today I cant recommend this unit to anyone for anything. For basic car use it lacks features that existed 10 years ago on the most basic units.
The unit will not calculate routes transferred to the unit. You can only create a Route on the unit. Getting the CNEU Search bug fixed took priority over getting Routing fixed. Hopefully, routing is next on the agenda.

Track navigation only partly is functional. I personally don't use it but some do. TracBack does work the several times I've tested it but you still will not get any distance data except for your current Track Distance.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #798
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
I know there is a recommended backup method (I'll have to look it up), but can you recommend (sorry if repeat) the best program to use prior to factory reset or for general backup precaution?

thank you
I use AppMonster Pro. But, because this is not just an Android tablet none of the Garmin App info or settings can be backed up. Garmin should have included an Application to do this but they have not and I don't think they will unless customers start returning the Monterra. What that all means is that if you have to do a Factory Reset, you will spend a significant amount of time getting the Monterra back to where you had it.

I make screen shots of my Home Screens any time I make a change and for each of my Profiles. At least that way I know what Apps I had where and for what activity.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #799
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 486
As a iOS only user until now, i wonder if its normal that sometimes not all apps show on app page two? Normally I have all non Garmin apps there, but sometimes one of them will show up on the garmin page instead and this page is empty. Is this Garmins fault or is Android sluggish?
To me Android seems more and more like a windows pc. Customizable beyond recognizable, alias of apps and apps in a big bowl. But sometimes the interface is just not up to it. Like double buffering is allways on OSX but not on windows.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #800
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Not sure I follow you on the "Apps page two" part. Make a screenshot of the condition when you see it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #801
kave
Gravel rules

Right now I cant get the error.
Press the apps button, then you will see a "page" called Garmin with apps like "where to", weather, sattelite etc. To me this is page one, since it is to the left.
A swipe to the left gets me to general google apps and the few ones I have installed, page 2.

I guess what is happening is that when the device is busy, it just wont show all apps, or in the wrong order or whatever.

Regarding routing, you said earlier that routes created in Basecamp wont calculate. Well, I cant even get routes created on the Monterra to calculate. It actually makes a try, then after 1% doen it just brings back the map.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #802
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Yes, Routing in general is in bad shape. If you are creating a route from you current location to some destination, the route will calculate most of the time. But, if you are trying to create a Route that does not originate from your current location it will not calculate a route most of the time if it's over 50mi (80km) in length; at least that's what I've seen so far.

The problem with diagnosing Routing bugs is that it can be related to algorithm or Map Data (CNNA vs CNEU, etc.) or bad code in general. This is not related to algorithm since Garmin has been using the same one for years now. I don't think it is map data as other devices don't have the problem. That leaves bad coding. If Garmin is wondering why they are losing market share Executive Mgmt need look no further. I suppose when the Monterra's currently in custom hands start getting returned maybe Mr. Pemble will take notice.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-22-2013 at 01:06 PM
Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #803
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,795
wow as far as a motorcycle gps this thing seems bad
How can they market it as an atv/motorcycle gps with even more shortcomings for that pupose than the montana had.
Most of the montana shortcomings for planning seem to be related to the fact that it wasnt really envisaged that people would plan such long routes
Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #804
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The Montana also had it's share of issues when it was released but nothing like the Monterra. I suppose Garmin could make a case that these units are On The Trail brand units and Routing isn't what they were intended to do like say the zumo brand.

I personally don't buy into that position since this is Garmin we are talking about and they arguably invented Along-road Routing as we know it today. They obviously have the know how and somewhere have the skill to develop very good Routing software.

Unfortunately, the Monterra seems not to have been given the proper resources to make it a viable product for any market segment -- at least as it sits today.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-22-2013 at 09:32 PM
Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #805
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Montana also had it's share of issues when it was released but nothing like the Monterra. I suppose Garmin could make a case that these units are On The Trail brand units and Routing isn't what they were intended to do like say the zumo brand.

I personally don't buy into that position since this is Garmin we are talking about and they arguably invented Along-road Routing as we know it today. They obviously have the know how and somewhere have the skill to develop very good Routing software.

Unfortunately, the Monterra seems not to have been given the proper resources to make it a via product for any market segment -- at least as it sits today.
exactly my point.And with the recent experience of the montana i wouldve thought it would be at least as good as the montana is now as far as the gps side of the equation went.This IS a specilaty gps company!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #806
kave
Gravel rules

Is anyone buying a Monterra for just geocaching?
I guess its bought to be used for many scenarios, just like the old gpsmap series.
Btw, is anyone getting proper turn by turn elarged instructions while using City Navigator? I dont get the intersection previews i usually get from City Navigator, even my small Edge gives me a elarged preview of what is coming.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #807
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

If they were, they wouldn't find much since the Compass doesn't work.

As you approach a Turn the map will Auto-zoom (if enabled). And if you press the Turn indication on the Dashboard. . .

Once you have passed the Turn the Map Auto-zooms back to your previous zoom setting.

Oh, and if you're really paying attention, you'll notice another bug. The map Scale does not refresh to the proper indication when you are Auto-zooming.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 09:24 AM
Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #808
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Going to mount the unit on my 450 for some trail riding at Tahuya on Thursday. See how she does compared to the Etrex 30.
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #809
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,971
I remember reading the big Montana thread when that unit first came out and thinking "crap, this thing has too many problems for me" but then time passed and patches were released, and I eventually bought one and enjoy it.

So far, though, it sounds like the Monterra was release in a lot worse condition than the Montana was. Is my perception accurate?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #810
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Unfortunately, yes, your perception is accurate.

Dan
All Things GPS