User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
mwatson OP
Haz-Mat

Oddometer: 27
Big Bend Nat Park short RR in search of El Chupacabra

This was my first time into the park other than a run in to the office for maps last year but never rode as I spent a week riding Terlingua Ranch back country....
And my first RR will see how I do.......

Got a late start Friday morning, dead new battery and broke the kick stand bolt smooth off while trying to kick start the damm thing ..
So grabbed so string and a mini clip to tie up to a tree or post if i can find one...
On a 2013 KTM XC-W 350 with a stock fuel tank and a couple 1 liter gas MSR cans, 2 liter water and 6 cliff bars, dirty rag > ( first aid Kit), rope and carbeaners and a wool shirt and clear goggles …kind’a lite for me…on a solo trip…
Just was going to run down to the river and back and check out a little of river road. And see if there are any DSers about......thats how an Adventure allways starts with me......ill be right back...
Roll out about 10am ..Terlingua Tx...
Maverick road down to the Rio Grande river fast little dirt road .. 2 wheel drive pickup truck travel possible ..about 14 miles long..
Back up north to the river road sign says 50 plus miles long …Hmmmm do I have the gas for this .. I’m 20 miles deep already…..
Blasts down the trail to the 50 total mile mark on the bike…wow tanks looks low.. trail is a high clearance 4x4 jeep trail ..some deep sand and some rocky area’s Good flowing fast .. standing up the whole way....good for an old guy like me..
Cruising at 30 and every time I get brave and kick it up to 45 or 50 on a strait flat looking area ..damm double wash out 3 feet deep… slam on brakes and slide thru bouncing 2 feet off the seat..
Again saying to myself damm dude slow down … 5 mins later same thing …go figure…..Squirrel....
Looking at the map and terrain wow I’m in the middle of nowares…( cool )..Life is Grand and Dirt Bikes are Awesome!!!
Turn around and head back out to the park store for fuel …101 miles lay bike down to get all fuel to the left side …
109 miles Blaaaaaa out of gas … dump one bottle spare in and make it to the park store at panther Junction...
Grab a frozen green burrito, nuke it, and a bottle of Gatorade….mmm refueled bike and me
This time head down right on to Glenn spring trail and right at the Y on to black gap and ( nice section of rough stuff and some rocks) hang a right on river road and go to my turnaround spot coming the other way ….
Cool I got this .. turn around and head back south …doing some in and outs on the camp sites with hundreds of things to look at from markings, rocks to an old west grave yard old ranch sites …Man you look around and its long way every direction.. don’t fail me now little 350 again...this is her 2nd outing.. the first one there was a exter part in the top and knocked a hole in the valve cover 8 hours into to a ride in Coloardo at 13k on the trail Engineers pass...( thanks to Chip and the gang at Munn in Waco KTM for fixing it on KTM's nickel ) Warranty on a dirt bike !!.. who would have thought that...Back to BB
Follow River road to Rio Grande Village …..Fuel , water , and a snack(Vienne Sausage and a spicy V8)fast eat food.. I hate those things.. throw on wool shirt and switch to clear goggles…its dark 30 now and getting chilly out ..head north to Ore road ..
I’m think in my head its 10 miles long trying to remember the map. … wrong !! its 25 plus.. no moon its black out and the trail tech HID lights are working good …look down and I’m rolling about 27 mph.. way cool…good pace..
Still standing up too.. I did have about 4 corners I blowed strait thru .. more so because I was scared to turn the bike .. every time I say.. I know it would have railed that…
Pick a clean spot with the light and point back to the road…gas gas…
All along looking at the GPS wandering why the map trail is switching back and forth.. I can’t be going up a hill with drop offs.. Right ????
Don’t know and not looking… focused on the 12’ to 15' in front only… that’s what TY would do (dirt bike mentor)..and don’t slow down because your right next to Mexico and they would never run drugs at night......
And there is no such things as monsters … And there is no such things as monsters … And there is no such things as monsters …
AARgh crap a big Chupacabra runs out and he jumps!! and bounces off my hip.. more fuel as I scream like a girl .. its ok because there is NO one out here to hear me…(ok it was a Jack Rabbit )… sure looked like one in the dark flying at me…
Keep rolling.. wow 30 mins .. I should be out by .. I think don’t stop just stay steady …and check in with the man upstairs.. thanks for all the good times I’ve had and please watch over me..
30 mins later I can see road 385 on the GPS hmmm I remember that one on the map ….left turn on to a wide dirt road … so what do I do ……….what else… open her up….75 mph ripping down some long sweeping corners back tire sliding around just a little … that din’t take long to get from over there to here…could have done that part again ..
Back south to the middle of the park and back to camp 10pm….
<12 hours and 250 miles>….what a great day and night the stars were out by the billions!!..
Cool 350 FI getting 50 MPG….
…………………….
Ready to go back and rerun the trails again backwards…..
………..
It’s a long haul but if your down this way don’t pass up some nice back country and good riding
See Ya’ll out on the trails
Cheers!!
Matt…………

2013 350 XC-W, 2013 500 XC-W, 2013 690 Rally,
2014 1190 ADV R
mwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,540
Hey! we need pics of "El Chupacabras"...

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
So, about 100 miles on the stock 2.5 gallon tank?
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
mwatson OP
Haz-Mat

2.25 gallons total ...13x52 gearing I would call 100 miles max on a tank ....

2014 1190 ADV R
Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Thanks. I have a plated 2012 350 XCW. i was planning on carrying two of the 30 oz fuel bottles.
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
mwatson OP
Haz-Mat

Ktm 350

Here is the 350 with the bigger tank almost 5 gallons and i carry 4 1 liter bottles ... hoping for 300 miles with the FI...
matt

2014 1190 ADV R

mwatson screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 12:01 PM