User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #136
Weevrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
CRF250l info

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of that Excursion pack. Looks like just the ticket for longer trips.

Andrew
Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #137
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Barry sent me a picture and asked me to post it for you. (He's not set up with smugmug)

It's about 1/4 "

Thanks, and sorry to hijack your thread. Great story, and pictures! I would love to do some version of that trip sometime. With the prices on that menu you posted, I may need to rob a bank, though.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #138
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I'm thinking about getting the Rotopax 1 gallon, already have the barbecue Manrack. About how much does the mount stick out above the flat part of the tank? I suppose it just makes a dent in the bottom of the Rev-Pak, which is soft.
Ladybug posted the photo for me showing it only sticks up 1/4 inch. The Rev Pack sits in front of it keeping most of the weight on the passenger seat area. I've seen the photos on the CRF board with broken sub frames so I limited my weight on anything further back.
Oldtimer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #139
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Thanks, and sorry to hijack your thread. Great story, and pictures! I would love to do some version of that trip sometime. With the prices on that menu you posted, I may need to rob a bank, though.
Not a problem regarding hijacking. It's as much about the ride as it is offering info for anyone that wants it. As far as cost. I went in with 300.00 and after 8 days, came out with 15.00. Not bad!
Oldtimer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #140
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
With the prices on that menu you posted, I may need to rob a bank, though.
This menu?

They're in Mexico, the prices are in Pesos. About 12.5 peso to the US$. Most of those breakfasts are about $3.50 to $4.00 in USD.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #141
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
This menu?

They're in Mexico, the prices are in Pesos. About 12.5 peso to the US$. Most of those breakfasts are about $3.50 to $4.00 in USD.
Now it's making cents....er sense. I've not been to Mexico, just saw the $ sign, and figured it was dollars. Pesos don't have a symbol........

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #142
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Awesome report and lots of familer sites to bring back good memories

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #143
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,543
Quote:
Like Barry said not a hijack at all, at least not as far as I'm concerned. It's nice that you are reading the report and have an intrest in the ride and what's being ridden.

I see the dollar peso thing was explained. The first time I was in Baja and saw prices on a menu I had the same reaction you did and it took a bit for me to figure out how to see those big prices and relate them to dollars rather than pesos. Traveling in Baja is inexpensive compared to so many places in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Awesome report and lots of familer sites to bring back good memories
I'm glad you are enjoying it and it's bringing back good memories for you.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #144
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Now it's making cents....er sense. I've not been to Mexico, just saw the $ sign, and figured it was dollars. Pesos don't have a symbol........

Actually they do. It's this: $

Confusing, yes. You used to see things listed as NP$ which was Nuevo Peso (New Peso) because they had devalued the currency and issued new currency.

But like the folks that started this thread implied, when you see an appetizer for $140 don't freak out.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #145
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

While we were in Gonzaga Bay at Alfonsinaís there was a bit of information I forgot to tell you about. Alfonsinaís doesnít have electricity everything is powered by solar energy or generators. If you stay there donít expect wifi, TV, phone reception or power outlets in the rooms. There are lights in the rooms and hot showers so itís not like you are suffering unless of course you are miserable without the extras. For me it was nice being disconnect from the electronic world for a few days and that's not something I do on my own.

When it storms in the desert things change because there is now water where there was none. The desert is an amazing place where plants, animals, insects and birds survive with very little water for long periods of time. When it rains their water is replenished and stored in water ever manner they do it for the long dry stretch ahead.

Unfortunately since the storm was at the end of our trip rather than the beginning we werenít able to witness the full effects of the rains such as the flower bloom that occurs a few days after rain in the desert. I would have like to have seen that and maybe one day I will.

What we did get to see were the vultures out in full force. On the way south we saw some but on our way north during the rain there were many more. The cactus tops were filled with them. After I got home and viewed my pictures I was disappointed I didnít stop and get better photos of the vultures. Most of the time I get fairly good photos on the fly and I thought I could capture the vultures as I was riding by. Nope, I didnít do so well with it but Iíll post two of the pictures so you can see what Iím talking about.

I searched to see if I could find information about the vultures that would tell me why so many were out there. I didnít know much about the birds other than they are ugly and their heads donít have feathers so they can stick their heads in places to feed without feathers getting hung up or dirty or something like that. While searching I did discover that vultures, at least the turkey vultures, donít kill anything they just eat what they find already dead. They also spend a lot of time cleaning their feathers. So they eat disgusting dead things but are prissy about their cleanliness.

Yep, I sure wish I would have stopped and got better photos of the Baja desert, the stormy sky and the cactus topped with vultures.

Bruce had gone on ahead but I knew we would catch up with him soon as soon as he pulled over to check something out. Nope, he's not here.

The storm is still brewing.

Cinderellaís Castle in the distance.

We found Bruce at the Castle.

A nice entrance to a beautiful view but nothing else.

Indoor plumbing. I think Iíll pass.

The Superbug being a bit of a poser. I donít think that silly bike realizes itís no where near as good looking as it was when it was new.

Back at San Felipe and at Kikiís either Bruce or Barry had checked the weather report and discovered there was another storm blowing in right behind the one we had just been in. We had campsites reserved but we opted to get rooms instead. Itís nice having both available at the same place.

I wonder what Becky and Lee are plotting and why arenít I in on it?

Old 12-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #146
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

This post is for Barryís friends and family.

Hi Everyone.
I know some of you are following this thread, Iím happy to have you along and hope you are enjoying the pictures and stories.

Barry and I have been friends for a number of years and for years he has been referring to me as the WWW = the Wicked Witch of the West. Now where he ever came up with that escapes me because Iím as sweet as they come.

While in Baja that question was answered, Iím not a wicked witch at all, Barry has been confused and the truth is . . . . . . . .

Up, up and away

I donít think his broom was minding him, maybe it wonít fly unless he is wearing ATGATT (all the gear all the time).

Old 12-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #147
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

After we got settled into our rooms we made Barry leave his broom behind and walk to town with us for dinner.

Looking at those clouds I think we made the right choice with getting rooms.

We donít have palm trees in the Pacific Northwest so I needed to get a picture of one with clouds behind it. Sometimes Iím so easily entertained.

The lighthouse looks different with clouds behind it. Are you getting tired of seeing this lighthouse yet?

San Felipe looks different now than it did a few days ago.

The mountains out there almost look peaceful.

A few minutes later they took on a totally different look.

We had been looking forward to having the fajitas at Bajamar again. They were so good. Thereís a nice view from there to go along with the great food. There is still activity going on in the sky.

Here comes dinner and itís steaming hot.

I'd ride to San Felipe just for these fajitas.

Bruce has a bowl of soup that looked more like the entire pot of soup. Holy cow.

Dinner was very good and we walked back to Kikiís in the dark. The storm had hit in the area of Kikiís and there was a huge puddle (lake) at the entrance. It looked deep and we had to find a way around it to get into Kikiís. I was too busy looking at how much water there was to remember to get a picture. Without a drain system when it does rain there the water has a way of puddling up.

Hanging out at "camp".

The wind was blowing pretty hard and the palm tree was looking like the trees in the news reports during hurricanes. I tried to get a picture, which didnít turn out worth bean, but I will show it to you anyway. That palm really does have all itís sides and looked normal the next day.

The rooms were nice and comfortable. The bedspread was soft and furry it was like sleeping with a big soft stuffed animal.

There was even a refrigerator in the room in case you wanted cold drinks.

And a bottle of water.

Iíll be back in a little bit with more stories, we still have a couple more days before we get home . . . . .
Old 12-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #148
Rainbow007
Boldly going Nowhere

Oddometer: 276
04 CRF230
11 DR650
Rainbow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #149
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Day 8 to El Centro, CA Saturday 11-23-13

Iím sure by this point you wonít be surprised that we were up to watch the sunrise and what a sunrise it was.

LittleWan, here are some sunrises for you.

As I started down to the beach I notice all sorts of activity on the water.

Fishing boats, all kinds of fishing boats, I counted 15 at one point. Some were holding still, some were moving slowly, while others were motoring right a long but they were all staying in the same general area.

The colors are fading but things are still interesting.

Pelican playing in a wave, either that or it miscalculated its flight pattern.

Look at all those seagulls

Time to stop playing on the beach and get ready to go.

The bikes are packed.

We headed to breakfast. It all felt familiar.

Bacon and cheese omelet

OK there's Lee, Bruce, me, and Beckyís taking the picture. Whereís Barry?

Barry, stop watching the table dancers, itís time to go.

One last look at the walking bridge, club Boom Boom, the lighthouse and the Chapel on the hill. Bye, Bye until next time.

Time to say good bye to San Felipe.

When I go places as I ride away not only do I think about the great things I saw and did I also think about the things I didnít see or do and want to return and experience. With San Felipe I would like to see one of their celebrations and I would like to stay up and see their nightlife. The mornings were very quiet in San Felipe and you could tell that come night time things liven up. We never stayed in town late enough to see that nightlife. Club Boom Boom that we walked by each time we went to town was always so quiet it looked vacant but reading a report from someone that was there recently and stayed near the club indicated it is a hopping place at night. While there I didnít even think about staying up and checking out the nightlife but as we were riding out of town then I thought about it.

We were on our way so I will just have to return to see the things I missed this time.

Military checkpoint ahead and once again we were waved through.

There were miles and miles and miles of these white posts.

The hillsides were very colorful.

You must be able to get cell coverage here but they donít want you to use your phone while youíre driving just like at home.

The hills and colors were interesting and we were making good time.

Then we found construction.

The dirt was easy riding so this isnít bad. . . . . . .
Old 12-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #150
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Riding along happily and all the sudden Barry passed me and motioned for me turn around. Hmmmmmmm whereís Lee? We went back and found where heíd left her with a flat tire.

The first thing Lee said when we stopped was "I managed to get the bead broke on my tire". Part of the discussion we had back in Gonzaga Bay was how to break a bead and Barry had explained a bead could be broken by riding on it after it was flat. Good job Lee!!

Luckily we were in a wide spot and there was visibility both ways so it wasnít a bad spot for this little exercise.

Bruce and Barry being buddies or up to something, I donít know which.

Lee was busy unloading her bike.

The bike goes up on a rock for a center stand.

Thereís the culprit.

Lee shows us what she thinks of the nail.

Iíve never seen Lee look like before and that grumpy face only lasted about 2 seconds, long enough for me to get the picture, then she was all smiles and happy again, even with a flat.

Getting the tube out of the tire.

That heavy bulky tube that Lee had been packing was coming in handy.

I attached my slime compressor to the Superbug and Becky added a little air to the tube.

Time to put the new tube in the tire.

And air up the tire.

Reinstall the tire and adjust the chain.

Time for Lee to repack the bike and thereís the center stand rock.

It took 1 hour and 15 minutes, which wasnít too bad since there was unpacking and re-packing that needed to be done.

And we were moving again.

Rest area

Yes, much better.

The storm had been through here.

We were back on pavement.

I canít imagine living out there.

We stopped for a minute to determine where we were going and it happened to be where people just dump their garbage next to the highway. This area made me appreciate the environmental regulations in the United States.

Now to cross the border . . . . . . . .