Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"Kings ridge rd. Saw I guy come up that w/ full size cab over camper on "

Heh... came north?. .. there is no place to turn a camper around !
Actually there's no place to turn around going the other way too !
Yes he was coming up the switch backs, 4x4 full size ford w/ cab over on, shit flying. I thought he was going to tip over .He just smiled and waved

Sorry COWBOY ,not trying to throw your report off.. Keep it up!!
More shots of Ozzy in his box please
Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
Teckel

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingCowboy View Post

I've been enjoying this thread, but this pic is priceless. He looks so small sitting back there.

I'm working on making a carrier for my Doxie.
Teckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
WanderingCowboy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
So I missed a day when I stopped in Lincoln City. The weather has grown shittier since leaving Eureka (fog, drizzle, and now rain).

I had reserved a yurt in Devils Lake State Park, which is in the middle of Lincoln City. The yurt was kind of nice. It reminded me of the transient tents service members travel through overseas. But it had a skylight, and a heater, and was a break from the drizzle/dense fog.

Around 3am I heard the rain coming down pretty hard. Checking the weather, it didn't look like it was going to let up much. And I didn't have a reason to get to my destination until around 2pm, so I left Ozzy in the yurt and when at got breakfast at a small Mom & Pop place called Corner Cafe.

The rain from Lincoln City was just terrible. I was soaked. At least Ozzy appeared to be warm in his box (based on how steamy it looked). I think I have some pictures I add of it later, but we made it safe and sound just in time for Christmas cookies and now it's time to get drunk and merry.

WanderingCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
waylongway
madmax

Glad you two made it safe!!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
WanderingCowboy OP
Adventurer

Thanks waylongway. Hope everyone else had a good holiday.

We set out from Portland yesterday...when it was 32 degrees and the frost looked like snow on the trees. Thank god for heated hand grips, and heated glove liners, and headed undershirts. It was cold.

But by the time we got to Lincoln City on the coast it was sunny and warmish. Today we pushed into California, but in Brookings, OR it was 74 degrees and sunny when I stopped for gas. Seriously. I nearly stopped and stayed the night just on principle. But the riding was just so good. The traffic was easy to pass, the roads were dry enough, and sky was clear enough, the wind was minimal, and I was just feeling good flying down the coast (around 80) that I didn't want to quite. Plus I had a Lotus behind me the whole way and I'm pretty sure he needed to follow my line. So resting over night, then back into the northern central coast tomorrow. Hopefully the conditions hold out.

While it was shitty in Portland

We even decided to hit some dirt on the Old Coast Rd somewhere south of Port Ordford.

Then somehow ended up on Halo.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #21
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Its been awhile for me, but a ride up the scenic California coast through its lazy beach towns is a nice diversion from the busy main highways there. While Colorado has its perks we don't ever get to smell the morning marine layer after its drifted in or drive through the shade of the Coastal redwood and Sequoia trees while viewing the ocean. That is a very special treat. I like that Ozz could go on your ride. Thanks for sharing.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Thanks for the ride-along. Love that road. Im headed down to Monterey in April to meet up with family for a couple days. Taking the 1 and 101 the whole way too. Portland is pretty gray and cold right now, Im really ready for some sunny twistys.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #23
WanderingCowboy OP
Adventurer

So I'm paying a price for enjoying the sunny twisties too much. It looks like taking some of the curves at 70 on the Oregon coast compressed my back end more than expected. It looks like the chain took a bite out of the base of the fuel pump (also my fault for positioning it too low). So I notice a pinhole leak coming from it as I was leaving Eureka. By the time I got to Garberville it was nearly a steady stream. After a few choice words and debating my options, I decided to press on to Petaluma. I was still getting over 30 mpg and Petaluma puts me inside my radius of finding friends to come pick me up. I also figured Highway 101 would have more options than Highway 1 for roadside help if needed. I just stayed on top of stopping for gas and since the leak didn't seem to be affected by speed, I pinned the throttle to get there as quick as possible. We made it, and I cut of the fuel and let the pump empty itself. I cleaned it with some soap and water then applied some QuikSteel over the pinhole. I'm about 3-4 hours from home so I think I can make it today. It just got interesting.

(See the bite just forward of the rear-peg bolt)

The good news was that the weather on 101 was almost perfect. Except for a few areas north of Ukiah where there was ice on the side of the road, the ride through the vineyards north of Santa Rosa was in the 70s and a nice change from the coast. Since I live on the Bay it's nice to get away from the water time to time.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
waylongway
madmax

Cool2

YA, Adventure rider solves the problem and rides on!!