Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #1576
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
My card must be in the back of your landlord's truck. Anyway...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...hope you had a wonderful Winter Solstice.
I got your card! I remember typing in all the names using the envelopes as I was silly and had hung them on the wall already. I must have skipped yours somehow. But if you look closely you'll see your card smack dab in the middle. I loved the saying Seek and You will Find. You can dry them tears now
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #1577
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrog View Post
I accidently stumbled across this ride report and I was impressed.
I have been a year in the planning of a lifelong dream of an epic journey of my own. Getting the bike ready and slowly acquiring all the things I will need. More encouraging is all the practical advice that a live ride report like this provides. More encouraging is the seeing how you are doing it on a virtual shoe string budget showing the rest of us how it should be done and that we do not need a huge budget to accomplish a dream.

Here is to you gal A merry Christmas and a happy new year and may fortune favour the brave. Wishing you luck that you may find a steady job to continue your adventure.
Thank you Gedrog! Steady job?????? Those words just scare the sh1t out of me! LOL, but I know what you mean.
Applying at Home Depot today, they pay $12.00 and hour!! that is so much more than Joann's measly $8
Old 12-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #1578
NomadGal OP
Esther

Are you in the mood for some drama??? LOL
Okay, well, my joy at having an empty room above me was short-lived
Yesterday a new guy rented the apartment. My landlord said that the guy was great, didn't smoke or drink and was a soldier. I saw him from a distance and he was pretty skinny so I figured that at least his walking around over my head wouldn't be as noisy seeing as Ken was about twice his size.
My dad called and he had sent me some money to buy new tires, he really was worried about me driving around on the ones that came with the car. It took Walmart 3 hours to get my tires on and the oil changed. I had asked them to replace the windshield wipers as well. So when I got back 2 hours later the tires were on, but no oil change. The oil pressure meter said no oil pressure so they didn't want to change the oil. I had to sign a waver form saying that I knew there was no oil pressure. I'm not sure what that meant, I figured it's just the gage that didn't work. They also didn't put the wipers on, so I ran into the store and bought some wipers and handed them to the woman behind the counter.
Finally an hour later they were done and I drove off, only to discover that they still hadn't put the new wipers on!!! Ahhhh.
So today I'll go back and see what they did with them.
As I got home the new guy was too, and guess what? It was like Ken was back. LOL
He took off a little while later and around 9 someone knocked on my door, I figured it was my landlord dropping off the mail as there was no mail in the mailbox that day. Was I ever surprised to see a cop in front of my door ( a very handsome one I have to admit ) He asked me if there was a Mary living there and I told him upstairs. Turns out she had called the cops because of the new guy, she didn't trust him because he was black! Holy cow that woman is strange!!!

The cop couldn't open the entry door to knock on her door cause she had locked it! He asked if I had heard any sounds of foul play, and I said no. He asked me a few more questions about the new tenant, and other than what my landlord had told me I didn't know. He said he'd be back.

Then around 11 my landlord called me, the new guy couldn't get in, Mary had locked the entry door, and the new guy didn't have a key to it, if I could please grab a broom and knock on the ceiling to wake Mary up to open the door.
So I grabbed my hammer and pounded on the beam near her bed. She woke up for sure and I hollered at her to open the door for the new guy. Strangely enough she did, which I hadn't thought she would. I had to laugh when I heard her pushing away some heavy furniture from the door before going outside and opening the entry door. Of course she pushed it back into place after she went inside. Then I had to go out in my PJs and tell the new guy in the car that he could go in.
I wonder how this story is going to unfold…….. My own personal TV drama above my head!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #1579
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
im sorry namad
but walmart is not the greatist place to have your car service and thats coming from a walmart employee
we get complaints here like thats as well
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #1580
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,066
Merry Christmas E!

Thinking of you and wishing you well.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #1581
NomadGal OP
Esther

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Amazing what you can find at the dump! A free Christmas wreath

Thank you Scot and Shannon (RimRider ADV) for the Christmas card and gift,How are you guys? Still crafting Shannon? Thank you DRDUBB (ADV) and Craig (The Blurr ADV) for the Christmas cards
And a very special thanks to John S for the surprise present in Paypal, seeing as I've not been getting many work hours, this came in as a life saver

For those who also sent me a card but don't see your name listed, it didn't make it here yet, but I don't mind! These cards are going to be hanging on the wall till I leave Fairbanks and then I'll box them and keep them for the rest of my life. That way I can take them out every Christmas to come, and have fond memories of my trip on the road and my stay in Fairbanks.

Now for a totally different turn of events:
My brother Stan offered me a very tempting job in Taiwan, namely helping him build a Hobbit-like home on a mountain top in the jungle. He's going to start in March, which means I will have to be finished with rebuilding Spirit by then. Hmmmmm, that might be a bit of a challenge. I am contemplating it though……. maybe just for 3 months and then back to Fairbanks to make the D2D

I did however bite the bullet and applied at Home Depot! I"m tired of being broke, even though I am enjoying me time off.
Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy New Year!

NomadGal screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 02:50 PM
Old 12-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #1582
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 648
Merry Christmas!
Hope the cold isn't too obnoxious. I remember my first winter in Fairbanks
keeping a car going. There was a steep learning curve. You still have my
mobile # if needs arise. If you decide to take your brother up on his offer
you can store the bike here if needed. Cee says hi!
David
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #1583
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
Merry Christmas!
Hope the cold isn't too obnoxious. I remember my first winter in Fairbanks
keeping a car going. There was a steep learning curve. You still have my
mobile # if needs arise. If you decide to take your brother up on his offer
you can store the bike here if needed. Cee says hi!
David
Merry Christmas David! I would like to come by one day to say hi, not sure if Mithrandir can make it up the hill though!
I'm loving the snow and cold, not so much my job, but oh well. Things will get better soon! Say hi to Cee as well.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #1584
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,803
Frohe Weihnachten, Esther!
Old 12-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #1585
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Frohe Weihnachten, Esther!
Du auch Silke!
Ich habe grade eine Deutsche Film angeschaut. Die Frau hiess auch Silke.
Auch einen Glückliche Neujahr.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #1586
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
Merry Christmas E!

Thinking of you and wishing you well.
Merry Christmas as well, hope you had a great one!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #1587
Floyd111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
hobbit life

who said 3 months? Hahaha!
It would be great if it could be done that fast. Of corz, By all means, I'd like to hope so, but straw bale structures are infamously work-intense. This one should be a mid-budget self-sufficient, off-the-grid, white, gray, black water system-ed, rain and dew-collecting, solar-paneled 3 bedroom house. Roads are concrete, but any truck over 1.5 tons won't be able to make it the last 1.5km up the top. Bends are too tight, and the road pretty steep. The closest HomeBox is 25km away. We DID already rebuild 2 farm houses there in the past, taking resp. 2 months and 7 months to finish, be it those were done under 1000USD budget.
For this project, you'd probably be looking at 6 months or so, rather than 3 months, sister. Naturally, there'll be more help, and assistance in the form of machinery at times, but this isn't a mountain cabin we'll be building. Still, considering your own dreams about having an organic home yourself one day, this should make for a great learning experience. I should have had a similar experience before myself, but regrettably, this is it, haha!
Floyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #1588
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,630
Talking

Hey Ester MERRY CHRISTMAS!^)- I have your card sitting here ready to mail out tomorrow.

Just made it back into PA from WA... still getting settled in/ unwound/ rewound, whatever ya wanna call it?
Sounds like your ADV is goin' along weeeellll!!! Your brothers build gig sounds super fun!!! My sister and bil have a haybail building used as a bar, tack storage and guest sleeping area. Stay's super cozy with the wood stove. Excellent structure no doubt.

Peace,
Jim
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #1589
NomadBoy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Mountain shack

Dearest Sister!

I was kinda surprised to read about your plan to build a hobbit-like house in Taiwan. It certainly sounds very romantic and all and if circumstances were different, I'd definately tell you to go for it.

Usually, during summertime alone, Taiwan will have at least 5 typhoons. The mountainous area which you have your eye on, regularly suffers from landslides, mudslides, earthquakes and so on, washing away roads, crops and houses. This is definately not a safe area for building a straw house. Growing vegetables there (if you want to become self-sustained) is risky, since they will likely be washed away by a typhoon. Local Taiwanese farmers know about this and for them it's a gamble every time again. Don't be blinded by idealism or romantic ideas, the reality is that you'll be risking a fortune on land that could disappear from under your eyes.

As a tourist, your chances to work are limited, especially in rural areas. You'd have a better chance in the big cities. Also, you'd have to consider that you're not allowed to own any land as a foreigner. And if you want to build anything, it will have to be fully approved by local government (building-codes etc). I doubt a "hobbit-house" will get such approval.

Also, keep in mind that in this rural area, nobody speaks English. Mostly, they'll speak Taiwanese and/or Mandarin, or an Aboriginal language. This will limit your communication severely. How are you going to get things accomplished, if you cannot explain to anyone what you want? That means you'll become isolated and completely dependant on the few people that you know. That will surely drive you crazy in no-time! If you're going to go to a foreign country, it's better to have more than a few friends there...

For the people who might be wondering.... I've been to Taiwan before and am married to a Taiwanese. Though we love Taiwan, we see this is a very risky adventure.

Have a look at this: http://www.taiwanese-secrets.com/typhoon-taiwan.html
NomadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #1590
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadBoy View Post
Dearest Sister!
I was kinda surprised to read about your plan to build a hobbit-like house in Taiwan.
Haha Kenneth! You should have been NomadBro!
Thanks for the post, however, you misunderstood my post about the hobbit house. It's not going to be mine but Stan's!
He was offering to pay for my ticket there and some pocket money to help him built a "hobbit-like" home for him Rikki and Fela I have no intentions to live in Taiwan. However, I've seen some gorgeous photos of the country.
So if I were to go there, it would only be for a short while.
I do speak a few words of Mandarin
Languages have never been a problem for me, I spoke Hebrew fairly fluent after having spent 6 months in Israel. I think Taiwanese might be harder, but I'd be able to learn enough to get by for a while.