Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 989
That's tough country for sure. I have unpleasant memories from a southerly approach to the same area, via the peaks. Could you tell if there was any link-up with the road through Edwards Park from where you were forced to abandon your route? I never encountered road closure signs from the south but mother nature had done some closing of her own that stopped me short of the target.

Nice write up, thx for sharing.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,975
South route

I know we saw a few trails heading south but no idea if they link up. WOuld be up for another exploration ride if needed.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
azredline OP
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Link ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
That's tough country for sure. I have unpleasant memories from a southerly approach to the same area, via the peaks. Could you tell if there was any link-up with the road through Edwards Park from where you were forced to abandon your route? I never encountered road closure signs from the south but mother nature had done some closing of her own that stopped me short of the target.

Nice write up, thx for sharing.
I think the Arizona Trail may link up from the south and hit Reno Road. I'd like to take the mountain bike up and try to get through. (Area seems to be open for hikers, horses and mt bikes, closed for motorized.)

Looking at the AZ Gazetteer, taking trails 69 to 68 to 66 would get you from El Oso road up on 4 Peaks right to old Camp Reno. I bet that is a "Mutha" though! Definitely GPS country! Probably more of a hiking route than M/C due to wilderness areas and super large boulder fields.

I don't recall seeing any offshoots on Reno road, but there were a couple of trails/roads at the Camp Reno end that we didn't try. Hmmmm.

I'm not familiar with Edwards Park, but I see an Edwards Peak on the map. Nearby?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Have you ridden that 690 yet?
Yep. It's got a few shorter trips on it now. Still getting used to the bigger bike on dirt. I even laid it down once to knock the new off it.
Slowred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #20
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
I know we saw a few trails heading south but no idea if they link up. WOuld be up for another exploration ride if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline View Post
I think the Arizona Trail may link up from the south and hit Reno Road. I'd like to take the mountain bike up and try to get through. (Area seems to be open for hikers, horses and mt bikes, closed for motorized.)

Looking at the AZ Gazetteer, taking trails 69 to 68 to 66 would get you from El Oso road up on 4 Peaks right to old Camp Reno. I bet that is a "Mutha" though! Definitely GPS country! Probably more of a hiking route than M/C due to wilderness areas and super large boulder fields.

I don't recall seeing any offshoots on Reno road, but there were a couple of trails/roads at the Camp Reno end that we didn't try. Hmmmm.

I'm not familiar with Edwards Park, but I see an Edwards Peak on the map. Nearby?
Edwards Peak is adjacent to Edwards Park. You reach E Park via fs road 422. The road starts up top by the towers on four peaks, heads due north, ending at Edwards Park, 11 or so angry, brutal miles later. It also can be a very icy stretch of road this time of the year. After looking at G.Earth, it appears that the trail-head that begins at Edwards Park, leads right to where your road was blocked. I think its been closed to vehicle traffic since the last big burn. I'd wager the untried roads you mention tied into the 422 some time in the past, before the closures???
I was hoping for an alternative route without going back to Oso rd, It appears to be a no-go unfortunately. I might be on an archery hunt there in Jan, I'll verify and report back.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,975
Cool

If you get stuck coming that way you can get out on F22 where the big locked gate is.... It is a little tight but doable.... Can't remember how I know that.....
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
azredline OP
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I remember...

Quote:
If you get stuck coming that way you can get out on F22 where the big locked gate is.... It is a little tight but doable.... Can't remember how I know that.....
It was because we walked in a little ways from the gate the way I recall it.

PFD, if you get more info on that while hunting, do tell! I do think that area was closed to vehicle traffic after a burn quite some years ago and never re-opened. Now I'm wondering if they are using the route you describe as part of the AZ Trail. More research required.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,925
I think the government terminology is "Temporarily closed for good."

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #24
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,905
The az trail follows an old pack trail from sunflower to Edwards park. Edwards park used to have a road that connected to fort Reno but long ago has disappeared. The canyon between the two is large.