Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Rorider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
So, I made to Thailand and so far until I got more used to riding on the "wrong" side of the road I rented a Honda Click 125 scooter, which is a pretty smooth machine and much faster than other 125 cc scooters I'm used to in Canada.

But now its time to get serious and buy a CRF 250L and start discovering this wonderful country and its neighbours.
I have a quick question for you. How easy difficult is it to cross into Burma with a my bike?

Danke in advance.
Rorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,094
Burma used to be 99.99% closed for foreign vehicles...or to be exact, you could cross from the northernmost Thai crossing, and ride for a few kms to a checkpoint. But lately some groups have been allowed into Burma, however it involves an approved guide, and paying significant money as well. If guided tours are your thing, then yes, nowadays it is more possible than it used to be.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #18
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
Taking your own motor vehicle into Burma is virtually impossible and not worth the headaches involved. Even for a foreigner to tour on a bicycle around the county is problematic as you're only allowed to stay in state approved accommodations.
Burma sadly is still a very messed up country.
I'd love to see it open up in my lifetime, I want to ride overland from Thailand to India someday. But I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
There's plenty to see in Thailand and the other much more friendly surrounding countries; Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos.
There is even a trick to ride a Thai bike into Southern Vietnam. There a report about it on rideasia.com forum and the Teakdoor.com forum. Google it up if you're inclined.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #19
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
I am sure you will enjoy your time in Thailand.

One of the best trips ever, motorcycle or not, was renting a xr250 in Chang Mia and exploring N. Thailand 2 up with my wife. LOTS O FUN
Old 11-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #20
CO/WV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
My advice for you is to ditch your girlfriend now. Seriously man...... It most likely won't work out for you 2 anyway. Just the simple facts..... Most relationships don't last.
Go to Thailand single and you WILL have a better couple years.
Thai woman are quite possibility the worlds most beautiful woman. East Africans are a close second.
I went there for 21 days for my honeymoon. It was a painful 21 days.
CO/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #21
Rorider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks for the advice amigos. It looks like I'll start my Thailand tour solo for about 2 weeks on a Honda Wave 125i. I decided on this bike(if you can call it that, scooter really) because it is the most popular vehicle in this country, great fuel consumption, quite versatile, easy to fix and easy to sell at the end of it all. When in Rome....
I'm working on my route currently and I'll get going in about a week.
Rorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
Taking your own motor vehicle into Burma is virtually impossible and not worth the headaches involved.

There is even a trick to ride a Thai bike into Southern Vietnam.
Burma used to be like that, but it has become possible on a guided tour with your own moto. Or should probably say: some areas have become possible... India <-> Thailand is still a different ballgame.

During the last year, many foreigners have succesfully taken their own big bikes freely to Vietnam & back using one specific border crossing (not in the south). I don΄t think it΄s guaranteed in any way, but it seems to work for now.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
rosmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Don't think you need any advice as you did the best thing ever by moving to Thailand.
rosmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #24
WillieKing
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I noticed the comment a out thais not stealing big bikes because the seats are too high. But they will steal your brake calipers and exhaust system! I rode a CBR900 there, twice some #@$& stole my brake calipers off the bike while it was parked. :(
WillieKing is offline   Reply With Quote