Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #19066
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
just got done installing new bearings in some of the rear linkages. advice: don't let the shock linkage sit in the 10 degree garage for hours before you try to press in the bearings or install the oil/grease seals, it won't work. thankfully i'm smart enough to know my error right away instead of forcing things. freeze the bearings and heat or warm up the linkage. that's all.

edit: oh ya, anybody have any recent reviews on the tusk brand clutch kit? recent mistakes have taken a toll on my funds.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #19067
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcfox View Post
Evening! I just got done rebuilding my 650R and torqued the head to 49 ft/lbs no problem. I first torqued to 30 pounds and then went to 49.
Thanks. You never had any studs snap off ?
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #19068
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjay View Post
Thanks. You never had any studs snap off ?

i believe I replaced mine when I did it. I didn't want to take that chance. However, they are some pretty tough bolts, I think you would be more likely to pull out threads than snap a bolt.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #19069
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
i believe I replaced mine when I did it. I didn't want to take that chance. However, they are some pretty tough bolts, I think you would be more likely to pull out threads than snap a bolt.
For what they cost, i will replace them. God forbid pulling the threads out of the cases.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #19070
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
For what they cost, i will replace them. God forbid pulling the threads out of the cases.

Not so scary now that we have Time-serts. They are a whole lot nicer to use than the heli-coils.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #19071
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Not so scary now that we have Time-serts. They are a whole lot nicer to use than the heli-coils.
Honestly never even heard of them.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #19072
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
if the bolts are still in the case, why not leave them? if you are replacing them because you are worried the case threads will let go, then the bolts are not the issue, right? steel bolts vs aluminum case. bolts will win.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #19073
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
if the bolts are still in the case, why not leave them? if you are replacing them because you are worried the case threads will let go, then the bolts are not the issue, right? steel bolts vs aluminum case. bolts will win.

I believe there is some stretch to the studs once they are torqued, but I honestly don't know the correct protocol for replacing and if it matters. After dumping $1k (or whatever) in to the motor why not?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #19074
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
Sorry i worded this post wrong. I was concerned about snapping the studs not pulling the threads out of the case.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #19075
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Speaking of time serts. Both of my chain adjusters were rusted and ruined from the previous owner, so I used time certs. Now its steel on steel (with plenty of grease + anti-sieze so way less of a chance of rust than aluminium and steel.

So far they are holding up great and are overall much better than the other methods to repair the adjusters.

I dont understand why Honda and other companies have the chain adjusters designed so poorly. They know these bikes are going to be slogged through water and mud. The bolts will rust.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #19076
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,501
Greetings all you fine R riders!

I am the proud owner of a new-to-me 650R

My local KTM dealer took it on a trade and blew it out to me on consignment. Cheap cheap!

It's got the factory skid plate (which I like), Edelbrock, big tank, ricky stator, power up and a full pro circuit system. The headlight, although ugly, is blazingly bright. It does appear to have been washed with purple power (much tarnishing of the aluminum finishes) and the rear chain slider is gone, but it starts first kick every time. I'm gonna love this bike.
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #19077
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 739
Suspension Rebuild and revalve

Spoke with a fella at MX Tech Suspension in Illinois today.

http://www.mx-tech.com/

Seemed to know the R well and says it can be set up for my riding style which includes normal trail riding and some moderate m/x-jumps. About 10-15 feet in height.

I want to get rid of the full compression when I flat land a jump from time to time.

$800 for full rebuild of all three parts, new fork springs and new valves on forks and rear shock.

Is this the going rate for a service and set up as I have described?

Any experience with this shop?

Any recommendations on other shops?

All ears.....
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #19078
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
I am the proud owner of a new-to-me 650R

My local KTM dealer took it on a trade and blew it out to me on consignment. Cheap cheap!

It's got the factory skid plate (which I like), Edelbrock, big tank, ricky stator, power up and a full pro circuit system. The headlight, although ugly, is blazingly bright. It does appear to have been washed with purple power (much tarnishing of the aluminum finishes) and the rear chain slider is gone, but it starts first kick every time. I'm gonna love this bike.
Is this a recent picture? Where is the snow? I shure envy people in the southern USA in regards to weather. In my neck of the woods we have 3 feet of the white curse on the ground with daytime temps of -20. Biking season here usualy starts in mid to last week in april and ends in the middle of october.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #19079
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

new Wiseco STD bore 10:1 piston question. with the rings that it came with, the end gap for the top ring and the second ring are the same coming in at .014in. is this normal? i would assume they would have all that pre-determined, but i guess not. next question...what is the best way to file the second ring down to widen the gap?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #19080
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,781
I used a flat file to set my ring gaps.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote