Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #19081
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
if the bolts are still in the case, why not leave them? if you are replacing them because you are worried the case threads will let go, then the bolts are not the issue, right? steel bolts vs aluminum case. bolts will win.

I believe there is some stretch to the studs once they are torqued, but I honestly don't know the correct protocol for replacing and if it matters. After dumping $1k (or whatever) in to the motor why not?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #19082
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
if the bolts are still in the case, why not leave them? if you are replacing them because you are worried the case threads will let go, then the bolts are not the issue, right? steel bolts vs aluminum case. bolts will win.
Sorry i worded this post wrong. I was concerned about snapping the studs not pulling the threads out of the case.
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #19083
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Speaking of time serts. Both of my chain adjusters were rusted and ruined from the previous owner, so I used time certs. Now its steel on steel (with plenty of grease + anti-sieze so way less of a chance of rust than aluminium and steel.

So far they are holding up great and are overall much better than the other methods to repair the adjusters.

I dont understand why Honda and other companies have the chain adjusters designed so poorly. They know these bikes are going to be slogged through water and mud. The bolts will rust.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #19084
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,441
Greetings all you fine R riders!

I am the proud owner of a new-to-me 650R

My local KTM dealer took it on a trade and blew it out to me on consignment. Cheap cheap!

It's got the factory skid plate (which I like), Edelbrock, big tank, ricky stator, power up and a full pro circuit system. The headlight, although ugly, is blazingly bright. It does appear to have been washed with purple power (much tarnishing of the aluminum finishes) and the rear chain slider is gone, but it starts first kick every time. I'm gonna love this bike.
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #19085
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 647
Suspension Rebuild and revalve

Spoke with a fella at MX Tech Suspension in Illinois today.

http://www.mx-tech.com/

Seemed to know the R well and says it can be set up for my riding style which includes normal trail riding and some moderate m/x-jumps. About 10-15 feet in height.

I want to get rid of the full compression when I flat land a jump from time to time.

$800 for full rebuild of all three parts, new fork springs and new valves on forks and rear shock.

Is this the going rate for a service and set up as I have described?

Any experience with this shop?

Any recommendations on other shops?

All ears.....
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #19086
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
I am the proud owner of a new-to-me 650R

My local KTM dealer took it on a trade and blew it out to me on consignment. Cheap cheap!

It's got the factory skid plate (which I like), Edelbrock, big tank, ricky stator, power up and a full pro circuit system. The headlight, although ugly, is blazingly bright. It does appear to have been washed with purple power (much tarnishing of the aluminum finishes) and the rear chain slider is gone, but it starts first kick every time. I'm gonna love this bike.
Is this a recent picture? Where is the snow? I shure envy people in the southern USA in regards to weather. In my neck of the woods we have 3 feet of the white curse on the ground with daytime temps of -20. Biking season here usualy starts in mid to last week in april and ends in the middle of october.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #19087
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
new Wiseco STD bore 10:1 piston question. with the rings that it came with, the end gap for the top ring and the second ring are the same coming in at .014in. is this normal? i would assume they would have all that pre-determined, but i guess not. next question...what is the best way to file the second ring down to widen the gap?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #19088
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
I used a flat file to set my ring gaps.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #19089
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
In the midst of building a power bleeder for the ktm. I'll have to make connectors for the XRR.

You guys have me thinking about rebuilding mine with all this engine talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Nope. A flat blade screwdriver will open it up and a 12mm socket will take the valve apart. There are some special things that need to be done, such as filing off the flared threads on the shaft, and bleeding it, and learning to avoid an oil shower. But once you have done one, they are all pretty much the same.

Well hold on, there is one special item, nitrogen. If you don't have a shop near by, you will have to get a bottle, reg, and the aircraft strut filling valve thingy.
There are lots of videos and how to pages out there, check a few out. People have different ideas and you can find what works the best for you. For example, I find bleeding through the compression adjuster worked best for me.
This is a good start here: http://www.borynack.com/xr650r/KYBShowaShockService.htm
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:32 AM   #19090
TJE
Space Emperor

Oddometer: 69
XRR valves ... rebulild?

Hi lads! I bought an '03 XR650R a year ago, but I haven't ridden it much yet, maybe 1000km total. it's a fairly low mileage 3 owner bike.

My worry is that it consumes quite a lot of oil. It's also jerky, especially when picking up the gas after throttling down a bit. It's like the throttle is super sensitive ... When going straight at a constant speed, it's doesn't really feel smooth either.

I did the valves last weekend, and they were totally off. Intake should be 0.15 but I couldn't even get a 0.04 in there. Exhaust should be 0.20 but 0.30 would go in.

What state would the valves be in after an unknown thousand km of bad valves like that?

Does the oil consumption correlate with perhaps worn out valves?

What would be needed for a rebuild, assuming the bore and piston is OK?
Many thanks!

My gallery: http://www.subsignal.com/DEMO
TJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #19091
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
I have no idea, but I now see a use for the snake camera my bro got me for Christmas.

I would double check valves again, clean the carb. Basically check everything, and then pull the head if nothing works. Sounds a bit strange.

Is the motor stock?

As far as a rebuild, I found it a pleasure to work on. However, I would feel safer assuming you need a new rod while you are in there. It is pretty common. Once you confirm your rod is good, then the rebuild is a breeze, if not it goes to another level with splitting the cases. No matter the bike however, 4t motors are expensive to rebuild compared to a truck or 2t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
Hi lads! I bought an '03 XR650R a year ago, but I haven't ridden it much yet, maybe 1000km total. it's a fairly low mileage 3 owner bike.

My worry is that it consumes quite a lot of oil. It's also jerky, especially when picking up the gas after throttling down a bit. It's like the throttle is super sensitive ... When going straight at a constant speed, it's doesn't really feel smooth either.

I did the valves last weekend, and they were totally off. Intake should be 0.15 but I couldn't even get a 0.04 in there. Exhaust should be 0.20 but 0.30 would go in.

What state would the valves be in after an unknown thousand km of bad valves like that?

Does the oil consumption correlate with perhaps worn out valves?

What would be needed for a rebuild, assuming the bore and piston is OK?
Many thanks!

crypto666 screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 09:24 AM
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #19092
Bhart89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hello all, I'm a soon to be owner of a 2003 XR650R.

Are their any issues with parts availability I should know? I'm aware that Honda hasn't produced these bikes since 2007. Are their any issues getting rebuild parts should I need them?
Bhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #19093
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhart89 View Post

Are their any issues with parts availability I should know? I'm aware that Honda hasn't produced these bikes since 2007. Are their any issues getting rebuild parts should I need them?
I checked into this recently and was told that transmission gears are the most difficult but are available and could be a long wait to get them if neaded. As for other parts not sure.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #19094
supernick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhart89 View Post

partzilla.com
btosports.com
something can be found
http://stores.ebay.com/EVERETT-POWER...&_sid=48844575
supernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #19095
supernick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Spy information.
Mongolia 2013 Unofficial Trailer .

http://vimeo.com/83012009