User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #241
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
A Christmas Eve Update

Been out on the "other" two bikes the last couple of days and haven't been giving them much love in the thread, so here ya go.

Went out looking for a Christmas scene on the Strom and all I found was a bunch of corners

I wasn't planning on any photos of the Bonneville, but a few hours ago went out for an impromptu Christmas Eve ride on the Delta, close to home. I've been debating if I should keep this bike or not as I barely ride it, and then it goes and does something like this. If everyone had moments like these, there WOULD be peace on earth

Oh, the Strom did lead me to my Christmas card scene. I knew this was right up my alley when I saw it.

Merry Christmas!

Desert Dave screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 08:39 PM
Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #242
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 485
Nice!:)
Old 12-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #243
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I don't know how you'd ever give up that beautiful Bonnie after a photo like that!
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #244
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
What a great thread! Pictures are fantastic. Many of my favorite riding/fishing/exploring spots. THANK YOU!!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #245
BigDogRaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Really enjoying this Dave

I am kind of a lurker on this site, but love some of these reports.
Now, Dave, these are really great photos! I know exactly how hard it is to stop and do it. I am very impressed. I have rode many of those areas (pavement only) many times.
Dave, I live in Tracy as well. Been here since 1994. I ride an FJR, and have rode 50k or so in past 36 months. Have had the bug since kids have left for college.
Anyway, I am only on page 5 as I just seen this for 1st time. Wanted to let you know you have another fan of you work.
Thanks for sharing these awesome photos!

BigDogRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #246
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Little ride to the lake

Another spontaneous ride that turned out well.

Generally I leave on my rides give or take a little around sun up. In the winter I sleep in a bit but if I haven't left by 9 am I figure the day is good as done. So the day after Christmas was one of those unmotivated mornings for me. I tell myself "just get on the bike and you'll be glad" but somehow another coffee wins. Out of nowhere it's 11 AM so I already shift my thinking to the next day. For whatever reason I gave myself the life-is-short speech so lets salvage what's left of the day.

Sure, a quick run to the gold country. Bike is heading east and I follow, debating which area sounds bests. No intentions of it being a photo run (even though I always have my eye out). Besides, boring clear sky, not what I like for photography. Lets ride. This one will be undocumented.

For those who know the area, I made a real nice loop from, pool station, Jesus Maria, Railroad Flat (something strange goin on in that town) with intentions of heading over to Volcano, but when I got to the main hwy I felt a pull to go higher in the mountains and look around a little.

Rode up to Silver Lake. Stopped there before in many conditions and never really have been happy with the photos. This day was different. Little snow, lots of ice and water levels about as low as I've seen all inspired me to pull the camera out of the Jessies.

It was an easy walk on the frozen lake as long as I stayed on the snow. The ice between these snow islands had me looking rather awkward I'm sure. People brought chairs out and were ice skating. I think I was the only one out there with motorcycle boots on.

Had good conversation out there on the ice with this skater that was more than glad to let me practice my action photography on her.

Almost sunset and I figure the black ice will be forming soon after, better head out. Caught a glimpse of this and couldn't go.

Tryin to be all artsy and stuff.....

By this time I'm a lost cause. Maybe I'll need those ice skates for the road but this is to good to leave now. I'll stick around for one more.

To think I almost sat on my ass all day, instead, more life long memories made.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #247
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylongway View Post
Nice!:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
What a great thread! Pictures are fantastic. Many of my favorite riding/fishing/exploring spots. THANK YOU!!
Mine To!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
I don't know how you'd ever give up that beautiful Bonnie after a photo like that!
That's why I keep her. I finished most of my mods in the first few months of ownership....and then was like now what?

Shes still new and doesn't get me excited anymore. But then on occasion....

Old 12-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #248
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog04 View Post
I am kind of a lurker on this site, but love some of these reports.
Now, Dave, these are really great photos! I know exactly how hard it is to stop and do it. I am very impressed. I have rode many of those areas (pavement only) many times.
Dave, I live in Tracy as well. Been here since 1994. I ride an FJR, and have rode 50k or so in past 36 months. Have had the bug since kids have left for college.
Anyway, I am only on page 5 as I just seen this for 1st time. Wanted to let you know you have another fan of you work.
Thanks for sharing these awesome photos!

Well, stop by for a beer sometime. We can talk about all this great riding around here.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #249
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Great thread dave.

Question.... I have an s10 as well and might pick up a bonnie as well. How do you like the bonnie?

Thanks
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #250
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
subscribed

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #251
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Yeah I'm diggin the California lifestyle, or at least my version of it.

Frozen lakes in the High Sierra winter and a day later a ride to the coastal redwoods and beach.

The Tenere likes to park in the redwoods to.

I'm sure many of you recognize this bridge, but how many of you have pulled over to look around? I'm guessing two of you ( I was going to say none but then some of you would prove me wrong :) )

Well neither had I , so this was the day to spend a little time by the creek.

Most of the riders that went by look at me kind of like, why is he stopped there?

The rest of the afternoon was a day at the beach.

Sometimes my people watching skills are as fun as wildlife.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #252
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
subscribed
Hey, me to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Great thread dave.

Question.... I have an s10 as well and might pick up a bonnie as well. How do you like the bonnie?

Thanks
The Bonneville is a LOT of fun. I think I had more fun modding it than riding her though

It was never going to be a "serious" rider for me. Something to get me back to my roots a little...something that makes the right sounds and is shiny....and just plain cool And it delivers on all of that.

If you get one DO the TTP airbox mod/pipes/ecu tune unbelievable difference in the response I went through the suspension as well.

Here's where the problem is, I just don't fit on this bike. But I knew that. My intentions were the furthest this thing would go is my local loop out to the Junction, maybe 150-200 mile day tops. And here is where the problem is, this bike is an absolute gas on a twisty road, unfortunately where I would ride this 90% of the time is some pretty rough road and the suspension just isn't up to the task. I've spent more corners doing the full tilt boogie with the rear wheel hopping in the air than I care to admit If my local road was a bit smoother I wouldn't consider selling it. But I've found I just don't get excited about riding it.

And then I do a quick spin on her and I'm grinning ear to ear again......

Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #253
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 789
Love the creek but do not know where the bridge is. Where were you?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #254
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Hey, me to!

The Bonneville is a LOT of fun. I think I had more fun modding it than riding her though

It was never going to be a "serious" rider for me. Something to get me back to my roots a little...something that makes the right sounds and is shiny....and just plain cool And it delivers on all of that.

If you get one DO the TTP airbox mod/pipes/ecu tune unbelievable difference in the response I went through the suspension as well.

Here's where the problem is, I just don't fit on this bike. But I knew that. My intentions were the furthest this thing would go is my local loop out to the Junction, maybe 150-200 mile day tops. And here is where the problem is, this bike is an absolute gas on a twisty road, unfortunately where I would ride this 90% of the time is some pretty rough road and the suspension just isn't up to the task. I've spent more corners doing the full tilt boogie with the rear wheel hopping in the air than I care to admit If my local road was a bit smoother I wouldn't consider selling it. But I've found I just don't get excited about riding it.

And then I do a quick spin on her and I'm grinning ear to ear again......

Thanks! Basically its a throw back for me. The first bike I ever rode on at 3 years old was a 67 bonnie. Thinking of getting a bonnie and keeping it shinny and pretty. Mainly a low miles, beautiful day only bike. My S10 is my work horse, this would be my top down cruise to the ice cream shop bike if that makes sense?

Great photos. Keep it up please!
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #255
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Yeah I'm diggin the California lifestyle, or at least my version of it.

I'm sure many of you recognize this bridge, but how many of you have pulled over to look around? I'm guessing two of you ( I was going to say none but then some of you would prove me wrong :) )

The bridge where Pescadero and Alpine road intersect? I figure it has to be since the later pics are at Pescadero...