Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #61
CosentinoEngineering OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
>>I know this setup will not work on an SM, that is my issue. Could be the same issue with the SE.

Don't the SE have the same tnaks as the ADV?

>>smalled or slanted fiter for the one side that touches the tank on the SM

There's no stock part that would fit and K&N do make specials but the price is $80 per filter, which adds up quickly! I'm still kicking around ways around it but realize that I did choose these filters because they fit best!
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #62
CosentinoEngineering OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Journey Continues....

It seems like a lot of 950SM guys are interested in the kits! It figures that the version of the bike that the kit does not fit well may be the most popular one.

Even though K&N has nothing stock that is suitable and the custom filter program is pricey I continued to look for ways to fill that space in the market. At the instigation of a list member who purchased the Full Monty system yet wanted to find a way to keep his Rottweiler air filter system I started digging again.

Initially I though I'd have to bite the bullet and fork over the NRE charges needed to develop a custom filter shape for this application. I found a couple of companies that do this and emailed inquiries. At the same time the customer had asked CPR if it was possible to adapt their system for the FCRs. A few emails later we realized two nicely dovetailing facts:

1. I did not want to invest in a foam filter design that may not be a good seller.

2. CPR Fabrications was focused on the FI market and didn't have much interest in doing a kit for FCR carbs.

After a bit of discussions with Chris Parker at CPR we came to the conclusion that a CPR filter on a set of Cosentino Engineering velocity stacks would be a great product for the FCR carbs. Since CPR was not really interested in the FCR market they agreed to sell me filter elements and cages that I would design FCR bellmouths and a lower filter mount around.

CPR would benefit by selling more filters and I'd benefit by not having to do the R&D needed to get an optimized filter. By partnering with CPR I also get the benefit of having KTM Orange parts instead of whatever the OEM produces! The Rottweiler filter element is not an off-the-shelf part, they worked with the manufacturer to tweak the foam's properties for this specific application. Its one of those rare situations where instead of two companies trying to undercut each other we decided instead to work together. CPR did a lot of R&D on their setup and were the first on the scene with this type of filter system. Copying their design would not be something that's cool to do. I've done a bunch of R&D on the FCR setup and seem to be the only alternative to the non-optimized Sudco parts. Them glomming my efforts would have left a bad taste in my mouth. So instead of 2 companies fighting over a niche market we'll collaborate instead.

The end result is that I am working on a revised FCR kit that will utilize the Rottweiler optimized filter system and revised versions of my velocity stacks that will fit on ALL the 950 models. As of now pricing is uncertain but it should not be more than the K&N kit, which will still be available. Performance gains for both kits should be similar so it will come down to filter preference, or if you have a SM, its the foam version.

I hope to have a kit ready before spring and although having another project on my plate sort of sucks, if all the interest that has been shown comes through it will be worth it.

I'll keep posting updates to this list (and likely on Gregor's 950 refresh thread too) so keep posted for updates.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #63
Slider_Over
Hooligan

Oddometer: 40
This is great news Chris!!! I have been watching this thread waiting for the day to be able to get the FCR’S with your stacks on my SM. I just happened to read over most of this thread tonight and then saw your post, great timing ;)

Not to be greedy, but will a choke solution be ready as well?

Thanks...Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
It seems like a lot of 950SM guys are interested in the kits! It figures that the version of the bike that the kit does not fit well may be the most popular one.

Even though K&N has nothing stock that is suitable and the custom filter program is pricey I continued to look for ways to fill that space in the market. At the instigation of a list member who purchased the Full Monty system yet wanted to find a way to keep his Rottweiler air filter system I started digging again.

Initially I though I'd have to bite the bullet and fork over the NRE charges needed to develop a custom filter shape for this application. I found a couple of companies that do this and emailed inquiries. At the same time the customer had asked CPR if it was possible to adapt their system for the FCRs. A few emails later we realized two nicely dovetailing facts:

1. I did not want to invest in a foam filter design that may not be a good seller.

2. CPR Fabrications was focused on the FI market and didn't have much interest in doing a kit for FCR carbs.

After a bit of discussions with Chris Parker at CPR we came to the conclusion that a CPR filter on a set of Cosentino Engineering velocity stacks would be a great product for the FCR carbs. Since CPR was not really interested in the FCR market they agreed to sell me filter elements and cages that I would design FCR bellmouths and a lower filter mount around.

CPR would benefit by selling more filters and I'd benefit by not having to do the R&D needed to get an optimized filter. By partnering with CPR I also get the benefit of having KTM Orange parts instead of whatever the OEM produces! The Rottweiler filter element is not an off-the-shelf part, they worked with the manufacturer to tweak the foam's properties for this specific application. Its one of those rare situations where instead of two companies trying to undercut each other we decided instead to work together. CPR did a lot of R&D on their setup and were the first on the scene with this type of filter system. Copying their design would not be something that's cool to do. I've done a bunch of R&D on the FCR setup and seem to be the only alternative to the non-optimized Sudco parts. Them glomming my efforts would have left a bad taste in my mouth. So instead of 2 companies fighting over a niche market we'll collaborate instead.

The end result is that I am working on a revised FCR kit that will utilize the Rottweiler optimized filter system and revised versions of my velocity stacks that will fit on ALL the 950 models. As of now pricing is uncertain but it should not be more than the K&N kit, which will still be available. Performance gains for both kits should be similar so it will come down to filter preference, or if you have a SM, its the foam version.

I hope to have a kit ready before spring and although having another project on my plate sort of sucks, if all the interest that has been shown comes through it will be worth it.

I'll keep posting updates to this list (and likely on Gregor's 950 refresh thread too) so keep posted for updates.
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #64
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
The end result is that I am working on a revised FCR kit that will utilize the Rottweiler optimized filter system and revised versions of my velocity stacks that will fit on ALL the 950 models
Very interesting!

I imagine the total filter surface area would be greater with the CPR filter vs the K&N ?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #65
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
cue heavy breathing:
"...stop teasing me like that maaaa-aaannnn...."

I still have my stacks on the shelf and will be saving them for the day you get that Rottweiler adapter done! Chris@CPR is a smart fella and I can see how the two of you would want to go at this conversation from the same side of the table. Did he mention his special chambered mufflers? They may be interesting for some of your other pursuits.

All the best for your efforts!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #66
vgstef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Carb fcr

First I like to say thank you to Cosentino eng. for the super good service. I got the carb installed and did a small test ride , WOW the bike pull very hard. Just look at the bracket for the TSP it look so nice.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #67
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,813
Question

07 KTM 950SE 39mm fcr's , single pull cables only & 1/5 quick action throttle.

I just installed the TPS bracket

is this the right settings ?

TPS reading set at -0.55

TPS @ WOT reads at -5.21 ? ? ?

Or are the leads in the wrong holes ? black in the bottom red in the middle should be ?

update:
swapped the meter leads as above - black in the bottom red in the middle

had a play with the settings again now have it set at

0.56 closed
3.66 WOT

so that's in the 0.5 closed & 3.6 WOT

MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 06:22 AM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #68
CosentinoEngineering OP
Gnarly Adventurer

>>0.56 closed
>>3.66 WOT

You should be good to go.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #69
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Quote:
>>0.56 closed
>>3.66 WOT

You should be good to go.
thanks chris
keep us posted on the choke system i'm up for 1 when there ready.

cheers: brett

MY07 950 SER
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #70
Wreckluse
Will work for beer

Oddometer: 443
Add me to the list for a set of 39's with the new filter system.

07 950 SMR with a Safari 30l tank.
08 DRZ 400 SM Adventure
12 GasGas 250 Pro
Wreckluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #71
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckluse View Post
Add me to the list for a set of 39's with the new filter system.

07 950 SMR with a Safari 30l tank.

http://cosentino-engineering.myshopi...ollections/all

MY07 950 SER
Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #72
950smr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
subscribed, looking at a set of the 41's with chokes as well for my smr
950smr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #73
Wreckluse
Will work for beer

Are you saying these will fit? Any problems or concerns?

Maybe pm me?

Thanks
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by veetwo _tls View Post
08 DRZ 400 SM Adventure
12 GasGas 250 Pro
Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #74
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckluse View Post
Are you saying these will fit? Any problems or concerns?

Maybe pm me?

Thanks
Doug

throw chris a pm (post 62 above)
MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 06:53 PM
Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #75
Wreckluse
Will work for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veetwo _tls View Post
throw chris a pm (post 68 above)
PM'd him a couple of weeks ago. He did not know if they would fit the SMR, but said they do not fit the SM very well.
08 DRZ 400 SM Adventure
12 GasGas 250 Pro